Regular Contributor

Re: UPS drivers and the heat

@alarmclock wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I agree that drivers should be required to take breaks during the day, more frequently when the weather is as hot as it is now.  UPS should supply them with plenty of cold bottled water.  But, let's be honest here.  That will add to delivery times and people are going to complain when they don't their plastic bowls and eyeliner in 3 days.  Any measures that cause a delay or are just perceived to cause a delay in deliveries will result in complaints to UPS and to the retailers.  Perhaps during heat spells they could do more evening deliveries.  I got a package at 8pm last week and that usually only happens during the holiday season.   

Your grasp of reality is questionable. Why are you focusing only on UPS? 

Do you have any idea how much your laughable suggestions would add to shipping costs?

And then you would complain about that.

@alarmclock 

I find nothing "laughable" about the humane suggestions.

I know that a lot of people would complain about the hike in cost, but they'd get over it.   Workers shouldn't have to suffer for the convenience of the customer.

You must be joking. People work outside.  Sometimes by CHOICE.

The weather is not in anyone's control.

No one is "suffering".  Lots of people are not snowflakes.

Many are adults.

You seem upset a lot.  I hope you will get to feeingl better soon.  Have a nice evening. 

Valued Contributor

It may be small but if one comes to my home to deliver I always offer them a bottle of water.  They usually accept.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This heat is taking its toll on a lot of people. Someone died of a heart attack here while hiking in this heat. Im glad its cooling down some tomorrow. I worry about my husband who is a supervisor in a huge manufacturing business and he wears long pants and long sleeves and steel boots! . It was 115 in his building with fans on! My son works loading trucks for Fed Ex. He just recently started. They can wear shorts and t shirts. But he said its been terrible hot. And ps they are supposed to load 300 or more boxes an hour! I have a new found respect for all of our packages and what people go through to get them out to customers! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Occasional Contributor

Who has the perfect job?  Many, many jobs require working outside in all kinds of weather conditions.  UPS being one, or course.  One has to weigh the benefits with the obstacles when applying for a job.  When conditions are more hazardous obviously the paycheck is higher.

All I can say is I wish my UPS driver would be Doug Heffernan.  He is a hoot and so cute in his shorts!

Regular Contributor

@QVCPhobe wrote:

It may be small but if one comes to my home to deliver I always offer them a bottle of water.  They usually accept.

That's a wonderful and kind gesture.