Respected Contributor

Re: UPS drivers and the heat

@Cats3000 wrote:

@pdlindaYep.  OSHA.  Federal agency.  Federal law.  Help me save myself.  This is what we've become, and it's sad.

As I said above, I believe that UPS drivers are unionized.  If I'm correct, conditions of employment should be part of the union contract.  If the contract doesn't cover that, the matter is between the employees and their union.

I referred to my "self-protection bottom line".  If you don't like your working conditions, vote with your feet.  Find and employer who better meets your needs.  Stop running to the government for protection from yourself.

Sure.  Like employers are just waiting in line to hire.  Woman Wink

It sounds like some people who haven't been in the job market for years think one just snaps one's fingers and voila...a job with benefits appears!  

People in the working class have forgotten how to stick together and help one another to JUST SURVIVE and support each other.  I'm beginning to think this is what the "others" are relying on.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I remember signing an online petition to get air conditioning in UPS trucks.  I guess the petition did not work.

@SXMGirl   Just wondering if it would be worse for them being in and out of air conditioning.

Respected Contributor

You should realize that UPS drivers turn off the engine at every stop so it would be hard on an a/c system. Think that's why they don't have them.

Respected Contributor

This thread was very eye opening. I didn’t know that the drivers don’t have AC! 😳

Honored Contributor

Just got back a short time ago from a walk (glad I didn't wait longer as it's getting really steamy as the sun is coming out from behind the clouds and the temp is rising) and 2 things I saw on my walk that made me think of this thread -

1) Workers putting on a new roof - they all had wide brimmed hats and sleeves to protect them.  I would have to guess that the "boss" who sat in his cool truck (I assume it was cool as the door was closed and windows were up) provided water and work breaks.  I hoped that they would not be out there during the hottest part of the day, but I don't know.

2)  An Amazon delivery truck, seemingly stopping at every third house to deliver, had windows up and a pretty sweat free looking guy dropping off the packages.  So I made the assumption that Amazon trucks are air conditioned.  Or maybe some are and some aren't.

I'm grateful for my a/c today for sure!  Time to do some house cleaning.  Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

That is totally ridiculous.  UPS could at least install air conditioning in the cabin part where the driver is.  How about construction workers or any one that has to work outside?  The heat can be detrimental to your health no matter what age.  A football recently die from the heat at 31 years old.

If people work outside, they get accumulated to it.

The body adjusts.  

But only if you’re not abusing the body.

Using a ‘I remember when’ analogy, we grew up in the Midwest 

where summer days would get triple-digits...and he didn’t have

air-conditioning in the house. Our tractors/combines didn’t have

A/C...heck several tractors didn’t even have cabs.

Just you, a wide-brim hat & a long-sleeved shirt...and tons of water. 

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl  "Required" by whom?  The government?  Sure, that'll solve it. 

It should be required by UPS who else?????

UPS's statement to the no AC in the trucks is "we encourage workers to drink more water"

UPS spend MILLIONS to develop and install technology that monitors seltbelt use, amount of left vs right turns and times each and every driver stop.  They can use the same tech. to require a X mins cool off break every X mins dependent on the temp.

Respected Contributor

@Marp 

I too wonder how effective AC would be in the trucks when they are in and out of the truck during frequent stops and deliveries.

I wonder if they can look at better ventilation/fans/air flow especially in the cargo area.

The dark brown trucks do not help, perhaps paint the top part of the trucks a golden color that would reflect more sun/heat.  Their colors are brown and gold

Air conditioned seats

Built-in coolers for cold beverages

Esteemed Contributor

I have a good friend - female, single -  began to work at UPS many years ago.  She loved her job!!  Great pay, good benefits, helped her pay for twins' college.  Yes, it was hard work, but she thought it was the best place for her!  And she told me that UPS is always trying to recruit females, they don't seem to have many working for the company!!

Trusted Contributor

I really feel for all the people who have to work out in the heat, it really makes me appreciate all our service people and helps me to remember to cut them some slack when service isn't perfect.