Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPS drivers and the heat

When I see how the drivers are dripping sweat as they bring the packages up to my door,  I worry about any driver working in the heat. I had the same UPS driver - Gary - for over a year. Always offered him something to sip.

I also try NEVER to order any item that needs to be frozen when delivered.  There is no way those items would stay frozen solid in this heat!  We have had over 22 days of three digit temps since beginning of June --  hottest day so far was 104 degrees!!

And, just today my Fed EX driver brought me a box and left his truck running the entire time!!  Was going to mention something, but let it go....

Frequent Contributor

I give my delivery people bottled water too. They really appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

Wow, I had no idea they did not have air conditioning in their trucks. I get UPS deliveries a few times a week and was wondering should I bring them some bottled water?  I would think that they would have beverages with them or else they would get dehydrated or worse.  I know when I am in the car, I always take some water with me.  I am sure they must have food/snacks, liquids with them.  What do you all think? 

Esteemed Contributor

@corita wrote:

When I see how the drivers are dripping sweat as they bring the packages up to my door,  I worry about any driver working in the heat. I had the same UPS driver - Gary - for over a year. Always offered him something to sip.

I also try NEVER to order any item that needs to be frozen when delivered.  There is no way those items would stay frozen solid in this heat!  We have had over 22 days of three digit temps since beginning of June --  hottest day so far was 104 degrees!!

And, just today my Fed EX driver brought me a box and left his truck running the entire time!!  Was going to mention something, but let it go....

Yikes!  What's the zip code for hell?

It's been hot here too.  AND humid!!  I'm not keeping track.  A couple of times today I thought to myself, "You don't have to DO anything outside to drip; you just have to BE outside."

I parked my car out of the direct sunlight...for the weekend.  I have no PLANS to go anywhere, given the forecast.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesallanimals  I think a bottle or two or more of cold water would be very much appreciated.  Nothing quenches or cools like water.  And however many they might get during the day, it won't be too many.  I bet most if not all of them have a cooler in their truck.  If they don't drink it that day, they will drink it another day.  Or maybe they'll pour it over themselves after their last stop. 

When I saw my driver a few days ago, I met him with a couple of bottles and we traded...I got boxes, he got bottles. 

Give them water.  They will thank you and be grateful!

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I agree that drivers should be required to take breaks during the day, more frequently when the weather is as hot as it is now.  UPS should supply them with plenty of cold bottled water.  But, let's be honest here.  That will add to delivery times and people are going to complain when they don't their plastic bowls and eyeliner in 3 days.  Any measures that cause a delay or are just perceived to cause a delay in deliveries will result in complaints to UPS and to the retailers.  Perhaps during heat spells they could do more evening deliveries.  I got a package at 8pm last week and that usually only happens during the holiday season.   

Your grasp of reality is questionable. Why are you focusing only on UPS? 

Do you have any idea how much your laughable suggestions would add to shipping costs?

And then you would complain about that.

@alarmclock 

I find nothing "laughable" about the humane suggestions.

I know that a lot of people would complain about the hike in cost, but they'd get over it.   Workers shouldn't have to suffer for the convenience of the customer.

You must be joking. People work outside.  Sometimes by CHOICE.

The weather is not in anyone's control.

No one is "suffering".  Lots of people are not snowflakes.

Many are adults.

Yeah, it's just better to let people drop from heat stroke/heat exhaustion, than to do the humane thing of frequent water breaks, shade, cool air, and cool water to drink.

@Anonymous032819, there are some here who would rather workers suffer than have more government involvement via regulations for health and safety.

I bet it would take about a minute of walking in others' shoes to modify that  lack of caring and the Just get a different job suggestion.

It's a political stance with which I have never understood or agreed.

As for UPS employees and their union, I don't know their history or whether this has been an issue regarding their contract. But at least the employees do have representation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I don't understand why UPS trucks don't have A/C.  That should be standard on all vehicles.  I'd love to hear UPS's explanation for this.

@NickNack.  They have one of course.  The trucks make frequent stops with the doors being opened, they can't leave the engine rinning so it would just reheat every time they made an extended stop.  They don't mention it bit it would cause operating costs to soar and they'd  probably need new trucks.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Kachina624That's it.  Play the "envy card".  "You've heard" about conditions in Amazon's warehouses?  From who?  From the people who scuttled the 25,000 jobs in Long Island City, NY?

If conditions are so "horrendous", why do people continue to work there?  Why do people apply for jobs there?  No one is forced to work anywhere.

@Cats3000.  Envy?  What in the world are you talking about?  We in the Southwest hear little about and pay no attention to what goes on in New York.  Couldn't care less.

People are willing to work there for the pay, of course.  Same reason why they've always been willing to work in sweatshops.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Kachina624That's it.  Play the "envy card".  "You've heard" about conditions in Amazon's warehouses?  From who?  From the people who scuttled the 25,000 jobs in Long Island City, NY?

If conditions are so "horrendous", why do people continue to work there?  Why do people apply for jobs there?  No one is forced to work anywhere.

@Cats3000.  Envy?  What in the world are you talking about?  We in the Southwest hear little about and pay no attention to what goes on in New York.  Couldn't care less.

People are willing to work there for the pay, of course.  Same reason why they've always been willing to work in sweatshops.

@Cats3000. Want proof?  Google Amazon warehouse in Allentown, PA.  They have had employees fall over from heat stroke, had ambulance outside to cool them off and have them go back to work, if they could.

Their warehouse also are cold in the wintertime...especially in the areas where the workers load the trucks.

People work there because they need money.  Many of these warehouses are located where there are not many available employers in the area.

i do buy from Amazon, but I know that their employees are forced to work their butts off. If they cannot meet their quota, they are fired.  We have a lot of warehouses where I live and everyone has heard some horror stories from people who work there.

Their pay is fair, but they do not make a ton of money.  No one works there unless they have to.

Honored Contributor

That is totally ridiculous.  UPS could at least install air conditioning in the cabin part where the driver is.  How about construction workers or any one that has to work outside?  The heat can be detrimental to your health no matter what age.  A football recently die from the heat at 31 years old.

kindness is strength