Honored Contributor

Re: UPS drivers and the heat

@alarmclock wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I agree that drivers should be required to take breaks during the day, more frequently when the weather is as hot as it is now.  UPS should supply them with plenty of cold bottled water.  But, let's be honest here.  That will add to delivery times and people are going to complain when they don't their plastic bowls and eyeliner in 3 days.  Any measures that cause a delay or are just perceived to cause a delay in deliveries will result in complaints to UPS and to the retailers.  Perhaps during heat spells they could do more evening deliveries.  I got a package at 8pm last week and that usually only happens during the holiday season.   

Your grasp of reality is questionable. Why are you focusing only on UPS? 

Do you have any idea how much your laughable suggestions would add to shipping costs?

And then you would complain about that.

Exactly, even with her perfect life she finds something to complain about everyday. She does plan on working from home in her beautiful air-conditioned 2 bedroom condo until age 70. Go figure!

Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I agree that drivers should be required to take breaks during the day, more frequently when the weather is as hot as it is now.  UPS should supply them with plenty of cold bottled water.  But, let's be honest here.  That will add to delivery times and people are going to complain when they don't their plastic bowls and eyeliner in 3 days.  Any measures that cause a delay or are just perceived to cause a delay in deliveries will result in complaints to UPS and to the retailers.  Perhaps during heat spells they could do more evening deliveries.  I got a package at 8pm last week and that usually only happens during the holiday season.   

Do you have any idea how much your laughable suggestions would add to shipping costs?

@alarmclock 

I find nothing "laughable" about the humane suggestions.

I know that a lot of people would complain about the hike in cost, but they'd get over it.   Workers shouldn't have to suffer for the convenience of the customer.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Exactly, even with her perfect life she finds something to complain about everyday. She does plan on working from home in her beautiful air-conditioned 2 bedroom condo until age 70. Go figure!

I didn't read @chrystaltree as complaining, I read it as anticipating the complaining that would come from customers if their very important packages were delayed.

Posters here complain all the time about the horrific inconvenience of having to wait more than 15 minutes for their orders.

Esteemed Contributor

People who work outside know what to do when the weather gets this hot.  At work now, feels like 107outside, guys are out in the sum unloading equipment.  They have taken frequent breaks, but do not want to come inside to get cool.  They say it makes it to hard to go back out and finish.  If time to take a break is needed, I do not know of any company that would have a problem with that.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@alarmclock 

I know that a lot of people would complain about the hike in cost, but they'd get over it.   Workers shouldn't have to suffer for the convenience of the customer.

You must be joking. People work outside.  Sometimes by CHOICE.

The weather is not in anyone's control.

No one is "suffering".  Lots of people are not snowflakes.

Many are adults.

Honored Contributor

I would hope that any employer would encourage rest breaks and even provide fluids for hydration of their workers. This oppressive heat is dangerous and care must be taken. 

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

I question how much benefit air conditioning the delivery trucks would be in an urban or suburban locale.  Drivers are required to turn the vehicle off when they exit so the vehicle immediately starts heating.  Back in the truck, drive maybe a block or two and turn the truck back off.   In my area, where deliveries could well be a mile or more apart air conditioning might have a chance to cool at least the driver's seat area but not much more.

I also wonder which is a greater strain on the body, going in and out of air conditioning or staying at a more or less steady temperature.

Even at home when I am in a comfortably air conditioned environment when I open the door to take the dogs out I sometimes feel like I've walked into a wall when the heat hit me then feel chilled (but relieved) when I get back in the AC.  It is even worse in the car going from place to place in and out of the AC.  Going from the cool air conditioned air to the super heated outside affects me more than consistency.

Respected Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

@Marp wrote:

I question how much benefit air conditioning the delivery trucks would be in an urban or suburban locale.  Drivers are required to turn the vehicle off when they exit so the vehicle immediately starts heating.  Back in the truck, drive maybe a block or two and turn the truck back off.   In my area, where deliveries could well be a mile or more apart air conditioning might have a chance to cool at least the driver's seat area but not much more.

I also wonder which is a greater strain on the body, going in and out of air conditioning or staying at a more or less steady temperature.

Even at home when I am in a comfortably air conditioned environment when I open the door to take the dogs out I sometimes feel like I've walked into a wall when the heat hit me then feel chilled (but relieved) when I get back in the AC.  It is even worse in the car going from place to place in and out of the AC.  Going from the cool air conditioned air to the super heated outside affects me more than consistency.

Marp:  Your explanation here is entirely the truth.  My son works for UPS and would express his reasoning exactly as you have here.  They do have heat in the winter  but generally it doesn't work right  because of the many stops, opening and closing the doors constantly.

Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@alarmclock 

Many are adults.

I worked outside for years.  I'm no snowflake.

I've also worked in deplorable conditions that should have been made better by the employer.  Out of decency.

But hey, if you don't think people should be treated decently, have at it.

Esteemed Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@alarmclock 

Many are adults.

Yeah, it's just better to let people drop from heat stroke/heat exhaustion, than to do the humane thing of frequent water breaks, shade, cool air, and cool water to drink.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.