Honored Contributor

Re: UPS drivers and the heat

The military work in extreme weather conditions all the time.  Of course they are used to it and know how to prepare and cope with it as best they can.  

But yes OP everyone should get breaks especially in this terrible heat.

Super Contributor

I remember my Mom all my life has offered water to the mailman, UPS man and anyone else she can.  They always were so appreciative. I feel for anyone who has to work outside in very hot or  very cold weather. On the flip side, my brother-in-law works outside every day and says he would never work inside. He tried it and he hated it.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree about horrible summer working conditions (I lived in Mojave Desert for almost 25 years).  Water is wonderful but I'll bet Kool Dano type gel filled neck scarves would really be appreciated.  I've seen them for as little as $1 and they are easy to make.  When I went to Viet Nam on a small group tour, I gave one to each traveller.  I have seen many outdoor workers using them as neck scarves or headbands.

Honored Contributor

UPS should have air conditioned cabs and back areas where  boxes are kept.  They need to put out the money to upgrade their trucks.  No excuse for drivers to suffer in a HOT BOX or our purchases to sit in 100 degree oven in the back of the truck.  

They said it would not be worth it with the cab door being opened all the time... but it would still be better than having no air conditioning.  UPS is just being cheap and risking lives of their hard working employees.  

It all comes down to MONEY MONEY MONEY. 

Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Kachina624That's it.  Play the "envy card".  "You've heard" about conditions in Amazon's warehouses?  From who?  From the people who scuttled the 25,000 jobs in Long Island City, NY?

If conditions are so "horrendous", why do people continue to work there?  Why do people apply for jobs there?  No one is forced to work anywhere.

It's easy to say find another job, but It is not so easy to find a full time job that pays benefits. Many people are forced to work 2-3 part time jobs in order to be able to afford rent. There is no full time work.  What do you suggest for them?

Exactly!!!!!! 

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

I agree that drivers should be required to take breaks during the day, more frequently when the weather is as hot as it is now.  UPS should supply them with plenty of cold bottled water.  But, let's be honest here.  That will add to delivery times and people are going to complain when they don't their plastic bowls and eyeliner in 3 days.  Any measures that cause a delay or are just perceived to cause a delay in deliveries will result in complaints to UPS and to the retailers.  Perhaps during heat spells they could do more evening deliveries.  I got a package at 8pm last week and that usually only happens during the holiday season.   

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Working people everywhere work in the heat in the summer and cold in the winter. Customers who lose electricity in summer storms and ice/snow storms wait for workers to show up and restore power in the worst of conditions. Our LEOs work in this heat every single day and risk their lives doing that .... I honestly don't worry too much about the UPS drivers delivering something I've ordered because it's hot in their delivery trucks.

I agree.  They spend alot of time indoors where it's air conditioned.   Construction workers don't have that luxury.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So many have to work outside in all kinds of weather, and many have to work inside of non air conditioned spaces during the hot summer.  If you are in good health you do adapt, but everyone needs adequate water and break time.  If you don't have a union then who is going to stand up for your humane treatment?   No one should have to walk away from a job because they aren't being treated decently.

I worked for years on a thoroughbred breeding farm and sweat my ****** off during the summer.  I have never been so fit in my life (and I'm pretty darned fit), was pretty much nothing but skin and muscle.  It was hard at first, getting used to the heat in the summer and the cold, sometimes VERY cold, in the winter.  I did adjust, but I was already fit and only in my 40's.  I eventually moved on because I found an inside gig in the same business and I was tired of working 12 hour days, 6 days a week, for low pay.  But not everyone has the opportunity to move to another job.

Worse was the sweat shop (yeah, that's what it was) I worked at for one summer.  It was a wood shop where they made shelving and cabinets and the like.  Lucky me had the job in the laminate room.  No a/c, and I had to stand in a closed booth spraying glue on laminate.  I wore a giant respirator to protect my lungs (which was hot as you know what in those conditions) and the guys there laughed at me for wearing it.  God, I hated that job. 

Anyway, I feel for anyone out in the extreme conditions and hope that they are treated decently by those paying them, whether they are unionized or not!

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

UPS should have air conditioned cabs and back areas where  boxes are kept.  They need to put out the money to upgrade their trucks.  No excuse for drivers to suffer in a HOT BOX or our purchases to sit in 100 degree oven in the back of the truck.  

They said it would not be worth it with the cab door being opened all the time... but it would still be better than having no air conditioning.  UPS is just being cheap and risking lives of their hard working employees.  

It all comes down to MONEY MONEY MONEY. 

UPS is a union company.  If there was an issue, you can bet the union would have addressed it.

And how is it "risking lives"?  That's a bit dramatic.  Your assessment would have to include anyone that worked outdoors and during any season.

Really.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I agree that drivers should be required to take breaks during the day, more frequently when the weather is as hot as it is now.  UPS should supply them with plenty of cold bottled water.  But, let's be honest here.  That will add to delivery times and people are going to complain when they don't their plastic bowls and eyeliner in 3 days.  Any measures that cause a delay or are just perceived to cause a delay in deliveries will result in complaints to UPS and to the retailers.  Perhaps during heat spells they could do more evening deliveries.  I got a package at 8pm last week and that usually only happens during the holiday season.   

Your grasp of reality is questionable. Why are you focusing only on UPS? 

Do you have any idea how much your laughable suggestions would add to shipping costs?

And then you would complain about that.