Honored Contributor

Re: UPS drivers and the heat

The people who called the plumber out when they still had couple of other bathrooms paid for that one.

We would had waited till a cheaper time. LOL

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@pupwhipped wrote:

I don't know, I just find that crazy and feel sorry for the drivers. I think UPS should be ashamed of themselves.

And to think I was worried today about my dog's liver supplement and my lipstick melting before I could run outside and get it after being delivered. I guess I should have been just as concerned about them tooling around in the steaming hot UPS truck! 

I'm here in AZ where the summer heat is truly intense!!  I can't understand how driving in a non-refrierated UPS truck doesn't breach some federal labor law.  OSHA or some other federal agency should have something to say about this possible violation of federal law.  I thought that unreasonable conditions of employment were regulated by the federal government (to say nothing of the States)!!

If OSHA were involved because of people having to work in extreme heat or cold no one would have broken air conditioning or heat fixed.

My husband started out as a HVAC tech - he was finished and gone before he was able to reap the benefits of a cool environment.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl  "Required" by whom?  The government?  Sure, that'll solve it. 

I believe that UPS drivers are unionized.  If they are, driver working conditions ought to be part of their contract.  If it is not, that's a problem between the drivers and their union.

Of course, there's always the self-protection bottom line.  If you don't like your working conditions, vote with your feet.  Find an employer that beetter meets your needs.

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I can't imagine driving around in a hot truck all day.

I don't understand why they don't have AC in their trucks..they have heat in the winter...!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

probably goes thru gas faster by turning on a/c.

Respected Contributor

@emmysmomYour son is an adult.  He works where he wants to as his choice.  So be it.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624That's it.  Play the "envy card".  "You've heard" about conditions in Amazon's warehouses?  From who?  From the people who scuttled the 25,000 jobs in Long Island City, NY?

If conditions are so "horrendous", why do people continue to work there?  Why do people apply for jobs there?  No one is forced to work anywhere.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Kachina624That's it.  Play the "envy card".  "You've heard" about conditions in Amazon's warehouses?  From who?  From the people who scuttled the 25,000 jobs in Long Island City, NY?

If conditions are so "horrendous", why do people continue to work there?  Why do people apply for jobs there?  No one is forced to work anywhere.

It's easy to say find another job, but It is not so easy to find a full time job that pays benefits. Many people are forced to work 2-3 part time jobs in order to be able to afford rent. There is no full time work.  What do you suggest for them?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nicksmom,

That is my practice, too, to give cold bottled water to the four lawn guys, plus snacks.  Snacks are granola bars or fruit bars that are wrapped individually.  I also include napkins.  The lawn fellows get this in the Spring and Fall, too.  To my disappointment, none of the other three families who use this service ever offer them anything.  If I happen to have an appointment or am otherwise detained and not home when they service our lawns, these guys receive nothing, even on the most sweltering days.

I give the cold water to the garbage disposal men in the hot weather.  I offer it to my postman, but he always refuses.

Of course I always offer anyone who is offering a service in my home a drink, but most refuse.

As for the UPS and other delivery people, I'm all for giving them breaks and receiving my packages at a later date.

Trusted Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@pupwhipped wrote:

I don't know, I just find that crazy and feel sorry for the drivers. I think UPS should be ashamed of themselves.

And to think I was worried today about my dog's liver supplement and my lipstick melting before I could run outside and get it after being delivered. I guess I should have been just as concerned about them tooling around in the steaming hot UPS truck! 

I'm here in AZ where the summer heat is truly intense!!  I can't understand how driving in a non-refrierated UPS truck doesn't breach some federal labor law.  OSHA or some other federal agency should have something to say about this possible violation of federal law.  I thought that unreasonable conditions of employment were regulated by the federal government (to say nothing of the States)!!

This is laughable. Possible violation of federal law?  Really?

The weather is not an unreasonable condition.