Respected Contributor

Re: UPS drivers and the heat

@Abrowneyegirl  "Required" by whom?  The government?  Sure, that'll solve it. 

I believe that UPS drivers are unionized.  If they are, driver working conditions ought to be part of their contract.  If it is not, that's a problem between the drivers and their union.

Of course, there's always the self-protection bottom line.  If you don't like your working conditions, vote with your feet.  Find an employer that beetter meets your needs.

Respected Contributor

@pdlindaYep.  OSHA.  Federal agency.  Federal law.  Help me save myself.  This is what we've become, and it's sad.

As I said above, I believe that UPS drivers are unionized.  If I'm correct, conditions of employment should be part of the union contract.  If the contract doesn't cover that, the matter is between the employees and their union.

I referred to my "self-protection bottom line".  If you don't like your working conditions, vote with your feet.  Find and employer who better meets your needs.  Stop running to the government for protection from yourself.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine driving around in a hot truck all day.

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   I also saw that on last evening's news.  UPS management's excuse for not providing air conditioning is that the doors open and close too frequently which makes providing it "inefficient" which translates to me, at least, that their bottom line profit is more important than the health and safety of their drivers who, to them, are expendable.  Conditions for them would be even worse without their union.  

At some point I'm certain they will gain AC, especially if they are persistent in getting coverage on the news for this issue.

And these drivers work very hard for the money they earn.  They appreciate it if you can meet them at your gate or truck and manage carrying/taking your package from them since they are timed down to the minute by the device they carry.  I try to do so when I spot the truck pulling up and know that I am expecting a delivery.

Honored Contributor

They are unionized and the full time drivers make very, very good money.  It's next to impossible for a part time driver to get a full time position and gain the benefits they get.  I know those full time drivers guard their positions!  The union rules are so tight, that UPS has to hire college students as drivers to work part time.  At UPS, no part time drivers are allowed in the union.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Farmers, lawn workers, construction, road crews, utility crews, lots of folks need to be very careful in this weather. 

Roofers in the Tx area have it the worse. up on hot roof dragging shingles in 100' heat. Most of them can't speak English, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

I question how much benefit air conditioning the delivery trucks would be in an urban or suburban locale.  Drivers are required to turn the vehicle off when they exit so the vehicle immediately starts heating.  Back in the truck, drive maybe a block or two and turn the truck back off.   In my area, where deliveries could well be a mile or more apart air conditioning might have a chance to cool at least the driver's seat area but not much more.

I also wonder which is a greater strain on the body, going in and out of air conditioning or staying at a more or less steady temperature.

Even at home when I am in a comfortably air conditioned environment when I open the door to take the dogs out I sometimes feel like I've walked into a wall when the heat hit me then feel chilled (but relieved) when I get back in the AC.  It is even worse in the car going from place to place in and out of the AC.  Going from the cool air conditioned air to the super heated outside affects me more than consistency.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Farmers, lawn workers, construction, road crews, utility crews, lots of folks need to be very careful in this weather. 

Roofers in the Tx area have it the worse. up on hot roof dragging shingles in 100' heat. Most of them can't speak English, etc.

What, exactly, does speaking English or not have to do with working in the heat?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

What, exactly, does speaking English or not have to do with working in the heat?

If they are in distress of the heat.  When I was 8, first day at school.  Could not speak  a word of Engish.  I lost my lunch money.  I cried & screamed my lunch money is gone and I won't be able to eat. In Italian.  Nobody understood me. 

Regular Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

One of my sons is a HVAC technician.  He spends his days in super hot crawl spaces fixing people's air conditioners.

He is bombarded with dirt, bugs and sometimes snakes and whatever.  Often he spends hours under someone's home or in their attic.  Did I mention that he sometimes does calls in the middle of the night because qpeople want their AC or heat fixed fast?

He does plumbing too.  People with 2 1/2  bath houses will get him out of bed at 3am because one toilet needs attention.  Crazy, IMO.

He works in cold freezing weather too.  I worry about heat stroke and frost bite.

Many people have jobs that cause them to work in harsh conditions, not just UPS workers.

Thank you to the people who offer water to these workers.  I am sure they appreciate your kindness.

My thoughts exactly. So many jobs are like this.