Respected Contributor

We just watched a story about how this extreme heat and the non-air conditioned UPS trucks and the toll it takes on the drivers.

The back of the one truck was 152 degree!!!

Of course the drivers can not take breaks for their health and safety because heaven forbid someone get their package a day late.  

I can wait a day or two.  The drivers should be required to breaks in this extreme heat wave.

Honored Contributor

Re: UPS drivers and the heat

Farmers, lawn workers, construction, road crews, utility crews, lots of folks need to be very careful in this weather. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't live in an area that gets extremely hot, but I feel for those workers who have to be out in the heat for their job, such as baggage handlers at airports who load and unload all of the luggage from a plane.

If I had that job, I'd loose a ton of weight and fast!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

I gave my UPS man a bottle of water when he delivered a package yesterday. I do it all the time.I also give the guys that mow my lawn water.It’s just the right thing to do.

The way they always thank me leads me to believe that not many do.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember signing an online petition to get air conditioning in UPS trucks.  I guess the petition did not work.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Also outside telephone and cable workers.

Esteemed Contributor

Working people everywhere work in the heat in the summer and cold in the winter. Customers who lose electricity in summer storms and ice/snow storms wait for workers to show up and restore power in the worst of conditions. Our LEOs work in this heat every single day and risk their lives doing that .... I honestly don't worry too much about the UPS drivers delivering something I've ordered because it's hot in their delivery trucks.

Honored Contributor

This explains why my Yankee candles, which were shipped upside down, despite the huge arrow pointing up, were completely melted and soaked through the shipping box when UPS placed them on my porch. I do know many of the drivers I have seen keep a large ice chest in their trucks next to the drivers seat. The heat makes their jobs even harder. Never hurts to offer your delivery man, if you happen to see him sprinting from his truck, a bottle of cold water.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I don't know, I just find that crazy and feel sorry for the drivers. I think UPS should be ashamed of themselves.

And to think I was worried today about my dog's liver supplement and my lipstick melting before I could run outside and get it after being delivered. I guess I should have been just as concerned about them tooling around in the steaming hot UPS truck! 

Trusted Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

I don't know, I just find that crazy and feel sorry for the drivers. I think UPS should be ashamed of themselves.

And to think I was worried today about my dog's liver supplement and my lipstick melting before I could run outside and get it after being delivered. I guess I should have been just as concerned about them tooling around in the steaming hot UPS truck! 

I'm here in AZ where the summer heat is truly intense!!  I can't understand how driving in a non-refrierated UPS truck doesn't breach some federal labor law.  OSHA or some other federal agency should have something to say about this possible violation of federal law.  I thought that unreasonable conditions of employment were regulated by the federal government (to say nothing of the States)!!