Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPS Tells Shippers to Prepare for Freight Strike

Excellent job here.  On first name basis. I am an online shopper.  LOL

Valued Contributor

If UPS goes on strike directly or indirectly packages will be delayed.The last strike was in August in 1997 and lasted for 16 days.This will also effect  all retail stores.

My Christmas shopping was completed the end of October. Consumers  ,"beware" shipping  will be delayed, especially large items. QVC had shipping issues without a UPS strike last year,with a strike it will be worse.

If all else fails for buying gifts,try gift cards.

Honored Contributor

Is UPS much larger then FedEx?  I've always wondered.  Of the two, I much prefer UPS.  I do a lot of online shopping and a lot of the companies I shop with always seem to send FedEx.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624,I had a conversation with a UPS supervisor 2 years ago.The UPS driver lied and stated there was no one home when he tried to deliver the package so he left.

My son was home at the time and when the UPS truck pulled up he went out to the truck according to the driver he could not find it and he will come back,he did not.

At 7 p.m. that same day, I call UPS main office, they gave me the local supervisor in Miami cell phone number. I was polite and I was firmed.

The supervisor and another driver bought the package the next morning at 8 a.m. And apologize. I also told them that I believe that they tell drivers to just throw the packages because that way more packages will be delivered they did not deny this.

When I order expensive items,I tell the the merchant the package has to be signed for. All delivers someone is always home.While I have not had any issues, the service has gone down hill.This to me is a Management issues, the Drivers are instructed to be quick.They just blow the horn and if you are not there to see them,they just throw it in the yard.

Valued Contributor

All shopping channels  and online retailers should post on their web site about the effect the strike may have on deliveries. Also the hosts should give out this information before presenting the items.

Not everyone has this knowledge,and giving the consumer  the heads up is  good customer service.

Honored Contributor

@GRACIE

I’m not a UPS shipment expert, but everything points to the fact

it’s UPS Freight strike, not the UPS door-to-door delivery.  

Large companies have many different lines of business...

most not affecting each other.  As I understand,

Freight is shipment for items over a 150lb+ weight limit,

with a totally different client base. 

Respected Contributor

Folks:  Thought people might like an update.  UPS Freight Strike has been averted.  Vote of 84 percent of bargaining unit approved a new contract which apparently was an improvement over manage's "last, best, final" offer.

Couldn't find more specifics than that so far . . . so no worries (more than the normal during the holiday shipping crunch) it appears.