Honored Contributor

UPS Tells Shippers to Prepare for Freight Strike

Trusted Contributor

Re: UPS Tells Shippers to Prepare for Freight Strike

They do a fine job on their own.  They must throw the boxes.  Every box I get has at least one dent if UPS delievers.  Amazon and Fed-X not one dent.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone know when UPS unionized?  They've totally gone to hell in attitude and performance in the past few years.  You can tell something changed.  A good company has been ruined.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The UPS service in my area is excellent.  Those that have complaints - well it probably is their local UPS management that is to blame!

Frequent Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Does anyone know when UPS unionized?  They've totally gone to hell in attitude and performance in the past few years.  You can tell something changed.  A good company has been ruined.

No but it is not recent, they had a similar strike in 1997.   

Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMarkTrue -  I'ved never had a dented package from Amazon or FedEx -  BUT they don't necessarily deliver their packages to the right addresses, so maybe a dented box isn't all that bad.

Actually, I can't remember ever receiving a dented box from any of the shippers.  Probably have, but not recently. 

Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

They do a fine job on their own.  They must throw the boxes.  Every box I get has at least one dent if UPS delievers.  Amazon and Fed-X not one dent.

@MarkeieMark.   Who do you think transports all of those Amazon packages?  Many of mine are shipped just like QVC parcels; shipped by Amazon, delivered by USPS.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It is the freight division that may strike.  Tractor trailer drivers.  That's different than the small package drivers that deliver to residential neighborhoods.

Honored Contributor

Family member works for UPS. He's 25. The stories we have heard from him about the issues between union and non-union (management vs non-management) is interesting. He's labor and management wants to move him to management. He's not sure he wants to do it. The difference in benefits is shocking, I'll tell you that. Which is why UPS has a union. To be honest, it's a mess and the turn-over for labor (union workers) is unbelievable (the average person stays 3 days at the main hub where he works).

Negotiations have been going on for awhile; I remember him talking about it in July. Won't be surprised if they strike.

Honored Contributor

The [potential] strike would impact UPS’ freight side of their business, which is only 5% of their revenue (Supply Chain & Freight).  The US parcel business represents 60% of their revenue, and would not be effected by the strike.