Honored Contributor

Re: UPS Tells Shippers to Prepare for Freight Strike

I would get my shopping finished yesterday, or shop locally. The holidays are already stressful enough without wondering if gifts will be received or not.

Honored Contributor

Biggest issue for me now is that UPS is passing off the packages to USPS for delivery...easy to track from the retailer to UPS...then it says it was given to usps for delivery....all bets are off then. They literally try to cram anything and everything into our letter mailbox....
Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

It is the freight division that may strike.  Tractor trailer drivers.  That's different than the small package drivers that deliver to residential neighborhoods.

How do you think the packages get to the distribution points?  

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Family member works for UPS. He's 25. The stories we have heard from him about the issues between union and non-union (management vs non-management) is interesting. He's labor and management wants to move him to management. He's not sure he wants to do it. The difference in benefits is shocking, I'll tell you that. Which is why UPS has a union. To be honest, it's a mess and the turn-over for labor (union workers) is unbelievable (the average person stays 3 days at the main hub where he works).

Negotiations have been going on for awhile; I remember him talking about it in July. Won't be surprised if they strike.

@SahmIam He may be missing a real opportunity if he doesn't.  Just hope he considers carefully!  Decisions like that are SOOOO hard. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

They have been unionized forever. They are Teamsters.  There was a strike in the 70’s that lasted 3 or 4 months.  At that time, all non-management walked out.  They have their own long distance haulers.

Esteemed Contributor

@Hippiified  I didn't think UPS was around until the 1980's. When did the company begin? It wasn't on the stock market until the late1990's IIRC. Until then, it was only employee options. Had a friend who worked for UPS in the early 1990's and made some great money on those employee stock-options and her bonuses. It was an up and coming company at the time; well-run and efficient. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Hippiified  I didn't think UPS was around until the 1980's. When did the company begin? It wasn't on the stock market until the late1990's IIRC. Until then, it was only employee options. Had a friend who worked for UPS in the early 1990's and made some great money on those employee stock-options and her bonuses. It was an up and coming company at the time; well-run and efficient. 

According to Wikipedia, UPS was founded in 1907 in Seattle, Washington.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady That’s when it went public.  Before that, it was privately owned by the employees.  See @JaneMarple reply.

Honored Contributor

Without those big semis delivering to the "hubs", the lical drivers would have nothing to deliver.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple @Hippiified  Thank you, ladies! Had no idea UPS had been around well over 100 years. What an amazing company. I'll do some research on my own. Sorry I didn't buy stock in the 1990's when it first hit the market. It was a good investment for about 10 years.

Money screams; wealth whispers.