Trusted Contributor

I sent a box to my granddaughter today and the UPS associate told me that UPS insurance now only covers loss, not damage, if you pack the box yourself. In order to have UPS cover damage, they need to pack the parcel at the UPS store. 

Just a word to the wise...if you want insurance to cover damage and loss, they have to pack the items there. So, hopefully anything you pack yourself won't get used like a basketball on the UPS truck. Just a little FYI.😊

Esteemed Contributor

Just one more way that UPS can stick it to their customers.  Our business just got their annual letter in the mail that rates will go up again at the end of the year.  They literally raise their prices EVERY year.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Are you sure that's the UPS policy?  Or just that UPS store.  I know we have a UPS store in my area that does some outrageous things to extract more money from the customers.  I'm surprised that UPS hasn't shut them down by now.  I wonder how much they would charge you to package the item.

Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette  Same experience here. Our local UPS store charged me OUTRAGEOUS prices on a # of parcels  I've tried to ship.  Finally,  I asked for an itemization; however, the owner was less than gracious and I experienced a lot of "mumbo jumbo" so I walked out and over to the post office where the charge was 1/5 of what the UPS lady asked me to pay.

Respected Contributor

I'm not intending to be a smart mouth here but I don't believe UPS or anyone should have to guarantee a package that someone packs themselves.  If that person doesn't pack the package well enough to keep it safe, why should UPS guarantee it?  If UPS packs it then I do believe they should gauarantee it.  I'm just trying to be fair about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I'm not intending to be a smart mouth here but I don't believe UPS or anyone should have to guarantee a package that someone packs themselves.  If that person doesn't pack the package well enough to keep it safe, why should UPS guarantee it?  If UPS packs it then I do believe they should gauarantee it.  I'm just trying to be fair about it.

@luvmybeetle    ..... YES, I agree 100%

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes 

I think that's been the policy but no one read the "fine print".

I mailed via UPS boxes from north to here.  I packed everything -- 2 boxes were received in terrible condition w/breakage.  I immediately contacted UPS ...they said "I didn't use the correct style box or pack right".

Of course, the aggravation outweighed the cost of the contents.

UPS store here is ridiculous in upselling their service.  A few months ago, I was mailing a small 6"x7" box less than 2 lbs. (gd gift).  The girl quoted me $24 ...I went to USPS cost me $11.

The UPS store charges upcharges and UPS charges fuel & transportation fees.  

I've stopped mailing gifts or buying unless it's from "A" or other retailers for free shipping directly to recipients ...too costly and sometimes more than what's in the package😉

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@luvmybeetle: Good point!