Honored Contributor

I had an item that was supposed to be delivered on Monday by UPS.  It came today (Saturday).  I was so surprised to get the e-mail from UPS saying it had been delivered.  If I wasn't signed up for e-mails from them I probably wouldn't have even looked at my front door for it until Monday.  I'm pleasantly surprised, but when did UPS start delivering on Saturday???

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I had an item that was supposed to be delivered on Monday by UPS.  It came today (Saturday).  I was so surprised to get the e-mail from UPS saying it had been delivered.  If I wasn't signed up for e-mails from them I probably wouldn't have even looked at my front door for it until Monday.  I'm pleasantly surprised, but when did UPS start delivering on Saturday???

I'm not positive, but I think a very small percentage of UPS packages have always been deliverable on Saturdays, but it's something the sender usually pays extra for and it's not usual at all - at least, it hasn't been usual/common.  Maybe they're trying to compete more with USPS Sundays and Amazon.

I've been waiting for a Fedex delivery today of a $300+ fragile item. I had all the doors open so I'd hear if anyone knocked, and the garage door open. I was checking the Fedex website about every 15 min. The last time I checked and nada, not *3 minutes later* it showed as Delivered.

No knock; it was left out in the open propped up against a bench. Even the USPS will put packages IN the garage under those circumstances :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  I didn't know FedEx delivered on Saturdays either.  It seems no one rings the doorbell anymore when they deliver.  I have a new UPS guy, though, and he did ring the doorbell earlier this week.  My delivery today was from Amazon.  I have Prime, but this wasn't a Prime delivery.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I've been surprised to get SUNDAY deliveries from the Big A. these days, not sure if UPS or USPS

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ  USPS has been making Sunday deliveries for a while now.  I have something scheduled to come tomorrow (Sunday).  It's such an unimportant item I hate for them to waste their time delivering it on Sunday.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I have been getting deliveries on Saturday from UPS for quite awhile. I agree that they are trying to compete with other delivery services.

I wish I could get a new UPS guy. I watch him throw our boxes and packages from the sidewalk up to the porch. Ran out and told him not to do it, but he still does. Called UPS and told them, he hasn't changed. So frustrating.

A UPS package was stolen from a neighbor just a week ago. He was caught on camera walking up the steps with an empty bag, opened the screen door, took the package and put it in the empty bag and walked away. I signed up for signature release. I might have to change that.

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I've been surprised to get SUNDAY deliveries from the Big A. these days, not sure if UPS or USPS

Many times it's independent home workers working for Amazon using their own cars.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Frequent Contributor

To answer the question, UPS started delivering regular ground (no extra charge) packages in May.

Respected Contributor

This is not a nationwide thing as we've never received a single thing from UPS on a Saturday. Many orders are not submitted by probably hundreds of people during the summer for fear of heat damage. Sad that UPS can't get that through their thick skulls. 

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

This is not a nationwide thing as we've never received a single thing from UPS on a Saturday. Many orders are not submitted by probably hundreds of people during the summer for fear of heat damage. Sad that UPS can't get that through their thick skulls. 

How is UPS supposed to control the heat?