Honored Contributor

UPS Delivery Issues/Pkg Theft

I know some of  you have had issues with deliveries ... I just got an email from UPS re Access Point:

ups dot com/accesspoint/

Thwart package thieves, keep gifts a surprise, and earn rewards this holiday season when you pick up your packages at a UPS Access Point location near you.

Set a UPS Access Point location as your preferred delivery location and earn $10 in Target® gift cards and three months of a UPS My Choice® Premium Membership when you pick up at least five packages between now and January 11, 2019.* 

--------------------

Find delivery locations here:

ups dot com/us/en/services/individual-shipper/ups-access-point-deliveries.page

-----------------------------------

Not an issue for me - but some of you might be interested.  

Respected Contributor

Re: UPS Delivery Issues/Pkg Theft

It hasn't been an issue for me yet, and I hope that continues.  I live in a condo on a dead end street that is off of another side street.  They would have to either live near me or follow the truck.......but on a short dead end street?  Also, there are about 22 other condos with a view of my front and/or back door.  It really galls me that people steal like that, though.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

I had a package stolen from my front door a couple of years ago. I live in a condominium development & was shocked when HSN c.s. advised me that the item had been delivered 2 days prior to my inquiry!!

HSN was very nice & resent the package overnight at their expense.I haven’t had a problem since. But I am nervous when I’m expecting a delivery.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA

@2blonde

The problem is huge in Portland, OR, where the PD has on-going issues hiring, because not many wish to join the force here.

Package thieves are quite blatant about it.  In our quite nice townhouse community, a neighbor viewed this several months ago:

UPS truck driving slowly down a boundary street to our many acred property.  On the back bumper were 3 young teenagers. When the truck stopped, the boys jumped off and hid in bushes, keeping an eye on where he left packages.  2 boys went after the packages, while one boy jumped back onto the bumper of the truck, as the driver took off down the street to another home.  Finally, our neighbor saw a beat up old Toyota following this theft-go-round and taking delivery of stolen packages.

Our neighbor reported this, complete with descriptions and license plate.  Doubt anything will ever be done about it, as that is the norm here.

Personally, in the last 2 months, I've had 3 Amazon items stolen from my front door step, becuase the darn delivery car drivers don't even take one second to ring my door bell.

Word out locally from the cops is that safety of packages is OUR responsibility and no one else's!  We have been told to check our door steps/front porches/patios 3x/day, if home, and, if not, have someone perform that function for us.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @ALRATIBA.   Although honestly at this point, I don't trust them to find and deliver there either.  

Honored Contributor

Rarely do I ever get a package by UPS, it always gets handed off to the post office.

Closest location is 10 miles from me.

If I have to drive 10 miles, why bother with online shopping at all?

Respected Contributor

@sfnative  That's unbelievable that your PD would turn it's back like that.  What good are cameras and watchfull neighbors if the PD will do nothing to follow through.  Obviously these thieves know they can get away with it.  It wouldn't surprise me if they would even steal the package right out of the homeowner's hands.

There was some of this happening around here (not in my immediate neighborhood) last year, but the police were diligent and caught them.  In this case, it actually was a young mother driving the car and sending her kid up the driveways to haul the boxes off the porches.  When they caught her, her car was loaded with stuff.  Can you imagine a mother doing that?  What the heck has happened to this world?

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

You have go to be kidding me @2blonde!  I wonder if it was enough to get her for grand theft?  How stupid do you have to be to set your kids up for life without you just for some material items and a thrill?  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14  Actually, I don't think "stupid" enters into the equation as much as heroin addiction.  You've probably heard it's a huge problem in Ohio (mostly started from doctors over-prescribing opiates).  If we could get this problem under control, it would solve a lot of other problems as well.  When you need a fix, you need a fix.  Woman Sad

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

i prefer UPS to deliver my packages. i have more problems with USPS.

i recently noticed when USPS delivers my package (i get notifications to my phone)

i generally have no problems if they are at my front door. i often leave my garage door open at that time so he can sit them inside the garage.

i receive notifications to my phone from USPS when packages are shipped, enroute, out for delivery, and then delivered via USPS. i HAVE noticed though that some say "delivered, handed to woman/customer" when that has NOT been the case.....they were just left, not handed to anyone.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein