Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPDATE WITHIN: Idaho College Campus

@elated wrote:

I keep listening to this horrific event and find many puzzling pieces. They said the door was rarely locked, so anyone could enter. The police said the killings look very personal. Two of the victims were sleeping. One of the other women looked like she fought for her life. The other woman might have been awake or not. 

This is where it gets sketchy. There were two roommate on another floor who were never touched. They say they heard nothing. The bodies were not reported until noon the next day if the killings occurred between 3 to 4 in the morning. The two roommates who survived were cleared of all charges. How is that possible you live in the same house, never hear a sound . Apparently, someone called 911 but has never been identified. Either the police are incompetent or the two surviving roommates are terrific liars. This whole scenario makes no sense. How does one person manage to kill 4 young healthy people without some kind of fight!!!

Does anyone else have some theories on this bizarre killing? Maybe they are hiding some details from the public but what I heard doesn't compute.

The FBI has now joined the investigation. There were three floors to that house. Two of the people got home late and probably went to bed. Perhaps they were the ones on the third floor. I can see that they might have been sound asleep and not heard a thing. According to the most recent coroner report, there were signs of defensive wounds from some of the victims. However, the killer aimed for the chest which is where most of the wounds were and probably what killed them.

Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Do you suppose students at this university really call themselves "Vandals"?  Quite an unusual mascot which doesn't evoke a positive image.

Not meant in the same way it is used now. I spent my first 2 years of college at U of Idaho before I transferred to U of Washington. The Vandals were a 5th Century European marauding tribe, much like the Vikings, Visagoths, etc. They were known for their determination and unrelenting nature. The depiction of the Viking at U of Idaho when I went there was a tough looking character wearing a helmet with wings. If you Google it, there are pictures of what they would have looked like and a history.

Sorry, I meant the depiction of the Vandal at U of Idaho, not Viking.

Esteemed Contributor

When you see the 2 blondes at the food truck video it is sad. They looked to be just enjoying a late snack not knowing the complete horror that will happen. Hopefully they will catch the criminal soon. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

I'm waiting for more info that two of the victims called a mystery man 10 times between 2:00 and 3:00 am.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

When you see the 2 blondes at the food truck video it is sad. They looked to be just enjoying a late snack not knowing the complete horror that will happen. Hopefully they will catch the criminal soon. 

Thank God, unless we are ill, none of us know when our last day will be. I hope the end for them was quick because I don't want to think about it being drawn out. Moscow is such a quiet, sleepy little town. It's just hard to fathom anything like this happening there. However, back in the 90's my cousin had a farm in another small Idaho town not far from U of Idaho. He was murdered on that property and left to die in his yard. They caught who did it. They were newcomers to the area, but it was a long drawn out process to get justice.

Trusted Contributor

The reporting on this case is the most confusing I have seen.

The authorities should have called in more experienced homicide detectives from the first moment they arrived on the scene.  The locals were in over their heads to handle such an enormous and complex crime scene.

They also need more experienced personnel to handle their media briefings.

I'm glad they finally called in the FBI as they have extensive resources to conduct this investigation.

Respected Contributor

source TMZ

UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO MURDERS 

ONE VICTIM VIOLENTLY STRUGGLED WITH ATTACKER ...'She's A Tough Kid,' Dad Says

Xana Kernodle Jeffrey Kernodle

Jeffrey Kernodle was interviewed Thursday by a CBS affiliate in Arizona, revealing the body of his daughter, Xana, underwent an autopsy that proved one thing for sure ... she had "bruises" consistent with her furious battle to save her own life.

Jeffrey also described 20-year-old Xana as a "tough kid" who could succeed at "whatever she wanted to do."

Jeffrey told the news outlet he last heard from his daughter around midnight just before the attack and everything seemed fine.

Jeffrey noted a number code is required to enter the residence through the front, speculating the killer was aware of that and went around back to find an open sliding door. A friend of the students who were killed has said a number of people had the code.

Cops are reportedly looking for a specific type of murder weapon -- a large combat knife similar to the one used by Sylvester Stallone's "Rambo" character in the '80s action flick, "First Blood." As for motive, police would only say the attack was targeted.

The suspect is still at large..

Honored Contributor

There were six bedrooms with multiple residents coming and going so noise would be disregarded. Most, probably all, had been out drinking and in bed, likely asleep. One person could go from bedroom to bedroom killing as he went. The risk would have been when he killed the couple, two against one. Since we're speculating, I'm thinking this group of four rejected a classmate who then sought revenge.

Honored Contributor

It's horrific to say, but I read that the investigators believe that the victims did not even have any chance or ability to scream. One person could not have caused that to be the case, that doesn't seem possible.

If you see that unimaginable photo of the blood dripping down the outside foundation of the house, well it's beyond any words or human comprehension.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

They do proudly call themselves " vandals" . Go figure.