Honored Contributor

UPDATE: FINANCIAL ADVISOR VISIT TODAY

The visit was very interesting and helpful.   It is the first time we ever discussed our finances with anyone.  We talked for about an hour and a half.  It looks like we are right  on track for a comfortable retirement with a green light.  My husband was offered voluntary layoff with an extra $$ compensation package. He has been with the company for 33 years and has a pension and  401 K, etc.  

This whole new chapter in our lives.  I feel better about it now having everything layer out and explained clearly on all the choices we have.  

Honored Contributor

Re: UPDATE: FINANCIAL ADVISOR VISIT TODAY

I hope in addition to financial planning, you and DH have given a lot of thought as to how you'll spend your time. Women have their homes to care for but it's often a difficult adjustment for men, especially those with no hobbies. They've been pretty much engrossed in their jobs and when that suddenly ends, they're sort of at loose ends. 

My dad was an avid golfer and fisherman (fly fishing) and loved all sports so he was set, especially since they bought a house on a golf course plus an RV for trips to the mountains.   They had a wonderful retirement. 

It's best to develop interests before retirement. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My dad retired at 65 and had so many hobbies/projects going I told him he'd have to live to be 103.  Unfortunately, he passed away at 75 but did enjoy 10 good years of retirement.  I've been retired for 3 years and love it. 

Honored Contributor

It's funny, but for so many years I just assumed I couldn't retire, and like you I spoke with a professional, and was amazed to find that I could.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden...glad the visit went well.  When we started using the services of a financial planner it was a relief to know that we were on track and had a source for good sound financial advice. 

DH is 77 this year, I am much younger, we plan on working another couple of years....DH is one of those guys with no hobbies.  When he was younger he did many things but those were hobbies and interests were for younger men and he has slowly given up those interests.....retirement scares me but every so often there is a thread about retirement and most people really enjoy that new stage in their life, I hope that is true for us when the time comes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the great suggestions!  I have been retired since 2013.  I live a pretty simple life and being around people is not something I need.  I am a home body.   Walking my dogs....working about the house....

To me retirement is doing nothing if I so choose....and taking all the time I want to accomplish anything.  I do not need to feel busy.

My husband will have to find his own way once he is no longer working. Neither of us really have "hobbies"  or like to  travel.  We are really layed back and go with the flow kind of people.    I suppose we will figure it out with time.  Time is all we have!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Isn't it wonderful and a relief to know you are on track for retirement income.

I remember when my DH retired (I had to retire earlier than he did) I said to him, "remember honey, I don't do lunch."

lol

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good for you. Isn't it nice when a FA tells you that you did great preparing for retirement. My dad went to his also today. He had to just make sure of a couple things before they signed loan papers for the house they are building. He told him he don't know how he did it but that they will do great. so pat yourself on the back and enjoy. My dad retires in June but will have a lot of projects for a couple of years with the new house.

Esteemed Contributor

Kind of a funny story. My mom was so worried their FA told them wrong about how much they will get off their retirement account each month. She was like that is a lot of money how can that be possible. Lol. When someone lays it out step by step it makes you feel a ton better. She is so less stressed now about the new house because of the meeting today and how the FA talked about how they are set.