Respected Contributor

Re: Considering Ditching My Landline

I haven't had a landline in ages. When I did have it, it was all wrong numbers and they would leave voicemails, it was very aggravating. However I got rid of it at a time that everyone would contact me on my cellphone so it was no worry to ditch it. I'm not sure what a good plan is except send a mass email to everyone informing them? 

On a slightly side topic, I watched a funny epsidoe of Grace and Frankie on Netflix yesteray and it was called "The Landline".  The joke of it was that the house phone was ringing and Jane Fonda yelled at Lilly Tomlin, don't answer it, everyone knows only old people use the landline!  The theme of the episode is Jane Fonda's character was really feeling old lately and was trying to fight against it in every way possible. Anyway, it was hilarious.

Frequent Contributor

Transition yourself slowly don't make a sudden change.I now use the HSN Panasonic call block phone system for my landline to screen caller name, company name etc and block them all. Tell your family and friends what you are planning to do so they shouldn't be shocked if you accidently block them too. Easy enough to unblock them.

Wish there was a better way to manage exiting from a landline.

My son and his wife are landline free which is okay as long as they have their phones nearby. I called my son yesterday telling him I was going away for a few days but he never got my msg until hours later. He called me in a panic when he heard message.

Thank God I wasn't calling him for medical help. Another lesson learned!

Honored Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

@NickNack If you like your landline basically, I know we do at home, consider buying the "red button" call eliminator (I bought mine with the Q).  Preprogrammed with a lot of the existing SPAM callers.  After that, answer phone, if SPAM call press red button on front, hangs up call and blocks it going forward.

I used to get dozens of spam calls a day on my landline.  Once I got a phone with Caller ID and the blocking feature, they started diminishing.  When there is a call with a number I don’t recognize, I don’t answer and let the answering machine pick it up.  Most times no one leaves a message.  After not answering for a few months, I’ve found that the number of spam calls has reduced dramatically.  Now I get maybe a half dozen a week.  Which is tolerable and about the same number I get on my cell phone now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Verizon wireless home service that I use for my landline, it's $20.00 a month with unlimited calls & free long distance...I have it hooked up to an answering machine, I screen calls & plan to keep it for 911. I also have a basic flip cell phone that's for my convenience, only family has that number & I like not being pestered by endless chit chat, texts & spam...I love that old flip workhorse, it was free with my first Tracfone card purchase & I have no interest in updating. I don't have a call blocker on my phones but I'm down to 1 or 2 spam calls a week...it's taken years using call screening, limiting my phone number to businesses & updating Do Not Call or who knows why they stopped calling...maybe it's just plain ole good luck or they think I'm dead.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aggravated wrote:

@NickNack If you like your landline basically, I know we do at home, consider buying the "red button" call eliminator (I bought mine with the Q).  Preprogrammed with a lot of the existing SPAM callers.  After that, answer phone, if SPAM call press red button on front, hangs up call and blocks it going forward.

I used to get dozens of spam calls a day on my landline.  Once I got a phone with Caller ID and the blocking feature, they started diminishing.  When there is a call with a number I don’t recognize, I don’t answer and let the answering machine pick it up.  Most times no one leaves a message.  After not answering for a few months, I’ve found that the number of spam calls has reduced dramatically.  Now I get maybe a half dozen a week.  Which is tolerable and about the same number I get on my cell phone now.

@geezerette   I'm the OP and I do exactly the same thing.  My spam calls haven't seemed to diminish though.  The spammers just change the number slightly.  The one thing that has diminished them significantly has been blocking all Anonymous calls with Comcast.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I've thought about disconnecting the landline but to me, it's very inconvenient only having one phone in the house.

It's like regressing to the old days before we had extensions.  I'm accustomed to having a phone in every room.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I went with VoIP service (Ooma) and that way I can screen my calls on my computer. I don't have a cell phone that I use regularly so the VoIP is my main phone. I keep my phone unplugged and just look online for anyone calling me and to listen to any messages they may have left. No need to hear my phone ring anymore and the service is free...just pay the FCC tax for the service which is about $6 a month.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

We have a package with Optimum and it will cost us more to drop the land line than to keep it. I use if for outgoing calls.

I have all incoming calls to my cell which I have set for telephone numbers that are only on my directory

I have the same kind of bundles service. My solution was to unlug the landline phone.

All the important people I know have my cell phone number and know to call it. So now I have a junk landline number I keep to fill out forms where I don't want the person calling me and never have to hear my landline ring.

Esteemed Contributor

Ditched mine about 20 years ago and all is still well.  Scam calls are so much easier to manage on a smartphone.

What I can’t get an answer about is if I can patch over the outlets when I paint.  Code violation?

Respected Contributor

We have wildfires, and quakes and other things that can interfere with cell reception.

We keep a land line for that reason.

I have heard that some of the robo call blockers can also block notices from emergency services and from schools etc. 

We listen to the message and decide whether to pick up the phone.