Honored Contributor

UPDATE: Considering Ditching My Landline

[ Edited ]

I get so many nuisance spam calls on my landline that I'm thinking of ditching it for cell phone service only.  I'm unsure of how to let everyone know to call me on my cell phone only.  Also there are other places that need to reach me that use my landline.  

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this transition easier?  I know I can call, email and text people with this change but am afraid I will miss some people that need to know.  I'm also hesitant because talking on my landline seems easier to me for some reason.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited to say that I do have call blocking with my landline and cell phone and use it.  I also never answer the phone if I don't know who it is.

UPDATE:  I posted this at the end of this thread but know a lot of people won't read the whole thread.  

I've decided to keep my landline.  Thank you for mentioning that I needed a corded phone. I think about that every time the power goes out.  I just ordered one from Amazon for $19.95 with caller id and call waiting.

My friend told me that her Comcast bundle was going to go up if they dropped their landline.  I have a Comcast bundle, too.  The argument about 911 being able to locate you with a landline was persuasive, too.  I'm happy with my decision and very much appreciate everyone's feedback.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Considering Ditching My Landline

It has been at least 10 years since I disconnected my landline.  Nothing but telemarketers on my machine every night when I got home.  I just made sure and updated all my info. wherever I shopped or went to appointments and such with cell number.  No different than if you change your landline phone number.  Not one single day or night have I regretted or needed the landline.  Not to mention the needing the added bill each month for something I had not used for a loooong time.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

We have a package with Optimum and it will cost us more to drop the land line than to keep it. I use if for outgoing calls.

I have all incoming calls to my cell which I have set for telephone numbers that are only on my directory

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I have no suggestions for you but once your cell # is out there you might actually get more spam calls.  I find it more annoying to get them on my cell and finding each morning you have 5-10 that came in overnight.  For some reason these spam calls can be made overnight where the spam for landlines cannot.

Frequent Contributor

If you don't have caller ID on your phone or with your service, I suggest just screening calls with answering machine.  This is what I did before switching to just cell phone service.  Also, I screen calls with cell phone same way.  I was hesitant to give up landline because I too think it is easier but like you said, it was another bill to delete from budget.  I use a trac phone and very happy with that for my calling and texting needs.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I get so many nuisance spam calls on my landline that I'm thinking of ditching it for cell phone service only.  I'm unsure of how to let everyone know to call me on my cell phone only.  Also there are other places that need to reach me that use my landline.  

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this transition easier?  I know I can call, email and text people with this change but am afraid I will miss some people that need to know.  I'm also hesitant because talking on my landline seems easier to me for some reason.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

@NickNack  that's a good question.  I am no help because I've always sort of used my cell primarily.  Do you do FB?  Not that you want to post your cell # for the world, but perhaps you can message your cell # to a lot of contacts that way? If you pay bills online you can update your contact info easily. You probably will inevitably miss a few people however you transition to cell.  But don't let that stop you.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I have no suggestions for you but once your cell # is out there you might actually get more spam calls.  I find it more annoying to get them on my cell and finding each morning you have 5-10 that came in overnight.  For some reason these spam calls can be made overnight where the spam for landlines cannot.

That occurred to me, too @Pook .  I do get spam calls on my cell phone now, but not nearly as many as my landline.  I like that I can screen them on my landline and pick up if it's someone I want to talk to.  That's a good point.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack   I used to get tons of those spam calls too, but added nomorobo (for free) to my line and I rarely get a telemarketing call anymore.  The phone rings once and it disconnects the caller.

It's been a lifesaver.

I hesitate to ever get rid of my landline, until they can figure out a better way for 911 calls to be answered via cell.  I called 911 once after witnessing a horrific accident on my cell and they put me on hold.....for at least 10 minutes.  

At least with my home phone, they can figure out where I am if I'm unable to answer. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Super Contributor

We're in the same boat. I just ditched AT&T wifi for Comcast wifi, but you can still keep your AT&T email & landline, since Comcast is Coax. I also dropped longdistance out calls, but use my cell phone for long distance if I need it.

The total charge for just the landlineis only $40. I purchased a spam blocker from QVC & believe me it keeps 95% of the spam calls away. Best purchase ever!

I would not ditch my landline because the quality is so much better than VOIP (over your wifi) or Cell phone in my subdivision. I also stlll use my landline for fax & it's easier for 911 to track you on a landline. My Doc told me not to ditch it & the $40 is worth the peace of mind.

Good-luck & hope that helps!

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@NickNack   I used to get tons of those spam calls too, but added nomorobo (for free) to my line and I rarely get a telemarketing call anymore.  The phone rings once and it disconnects the caller.

It's been a lifesaver.

I hesitate to ever get rid of my landline, until they can figure out a better way for 911 calls to be answered via cell.  I called 911 once after witnessing a horrific accident on my cell and they put me on hold.....for at least 10 minutes.  

At least with my home phone, they can figure out where I am if I'm unable to answer. 

@CAcableGirl2   I've had nomorobo since it first came out.  It hasn't helped at all.  I have checked many times to make sure I'm still registered.  I recently discovered that with Comcast you can block all Anonymous calls, which I did.  That has helped more than anything.  I was getting about ten calls from an Anonymous number a day.

That's a very important point about 911 calls.

-Henry David Thoreau