Esteemed Contributor

Re: UP or DOWN.. Dishwasher Flatware?

My DW flatware baskets have a thing with slots over them.  You have to tput he handles down in them. I like it, it keeps everything separated.  Spoons can't, well, spoon, forks tines don't tangle.

It is easy to grab the upper handle to unload and not touch the actual  mouth part.

As for toilet paper, as long as it is there when needed up or down doesn't matter.

Respected Contributor

Flatware up, TP over!!! And if it's a new roll and I am feeling fancy, I fold the end to a point as if I was in a hotel!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I hand wash my "sharp" knives.

Spoons go bowl down, forks go tines up, the knives that go with my flatware go blades up. The forks go tines up because otherwise, they get stuck in the basket. We've always loaded this way, and never been injured.

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella   Down is more sanitary since you will not handle the parts that go into mouths when emptying the diswasher.

However, I always hand-washed all my knives.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

The answer to the question depends on the size of your dishwasher and how it's designed. All mine go in eating end up.

Esteemed Contributor

I alternate them. They are less likely to get stuck together, especially forks. That's my way and I'm stickin to it.  

And TP?  Over.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Eating side up.

Occasional Contributor

Business end up, handles down. They fit better that way.

🍴🥄🍴

Valued Contributor

If you Google the patent for toilet paper (yes it exists!) it solves that debate for once & for all as the patent shows the paper going OVER, not under.

I have a slim pull out tray on top of my dishwasher where my flatware lays sideways now, but prior to that I had the handles on the bottom, standing up in my older dishwashers.
Respected Contributor

I always put handles facing down. But if I have a spoon that has peanut butter on it then I will put handle up so spoon will get clean. I found that putting a spoon handle side up with peanut butter they did get clean. Lately I have been putting knives in basket blade facing up. I known your not supposed to.I found that blade facing down was ruining my silver wear basket.I just pay attention not to cut myself. We just got a new ge dishwasher. I love it even though it is a little smaller. And before I unload I always wash my hands right before unload the dishwasher. I'm the only one that unloads our dishwasher so I don't have to worry about my wife getting cut by knives facing up.