Respected Contributor

UP or DOWN.. Dishwasher Flatware?

[ Edited ]

While the 'under or over' toilet paper roll still is on on going debate, I thought the following question would be have some great pros and cons answers as well.  I'm asking this question because I was at my sister's house and she does the opposite of me loading her flatware in the dishwasher.  So, for fun, I thought I would throw the question out there. 

Should flatware be placed facing up or down in the dishwasher and why?  I'm not speaking about knives,  as it's a given to place them point side down in the dishwasher flatware container for safety reasons.  What about the other flatware?  Some say placing the handles down in the dishwasher flatware container with the eating parts up give extra room for more flatware in the dishwasher, while others say to place the eating parts down with the handles facing up. Does either direction clean and/or dry better, or is there another reason for you to choose one way over the other? What say you? 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

Re: UP or DOWN.. Dishwasher Flatware?

I'm no help I have a slim slide out drawer at the top where I put most of the silverware so it lays flat.  When I do put it in the others I do eating side down, I just figure they might get cleaner, now that I think of it that doesn't really make sense!

Respected Contributor

I've always placed my flatware in the dishwasher with the eating side up.  I don't think I could even place it handle side up because of the way the flatware holder for my dishwasher is designed. There's a little slot for each piece and the spoons and forks wouldn't fit handle side up.  

Honored Contributor

Spoons and forks get loaded into the dishwasher with the handles facing down.  I've never had an issue.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Toilet paper...over

Flatware is lying down in its side in a drawer at the top just for it.

However I used to put utensils in facing down since I felt that it was more sanitary to get them out rather than touch the part that goes into your mouth.

Esteemed Contributor

Eating side up, handles down. 

Respected Contributor

I place flatware handle side down because it is easier to quickly unload the dishwasher that way.

Also, the handles take up less room at the bottom of the holder so more flatware can be placed there.

More water and soap will be swished around the tops so they can get " cleaner ".

Clean hands, clean eating utensils.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

We place the flatware handles down where the water spray will directly hit the area that touches your mouth or food.

I often add a cap full of clorox before I start the wash cycle.

Honored Contributor

All handles up to avoid touching the eating part of the utensils when unloading.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oh, definitely up (handles down).   

As to the tp, it has been decided - OVER!  Smiley Very Happy   (seriously)