Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Everyone said don't open them to begin with. People need to clean out the earwax and listen.

@Porcelain  I'm not sure who you mean by everyone but Dr. Fauci was in support of schools opening back up.  He said that back at the beginning of August. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Everyone said don't open them to begin with. People need to clean out the earwax and listen.

@Porcelain  I'm not sure who you mean by everyone but Dr. Fauci was in support of schools opening back up.  He said that back at the beginning of August. 

Dr. Fauci would not support infecting 500 students, pretty safe to say. A school could possibly open safely if they did it correctly and actually walked all their safety talk. And changed direction if things went wrong. Devil is always in the details.

If a school can't ban parties, they can't open safely in person. And we're seeing that these schools can't control the students in any meaningful way to prevent Covid outbreaks. So? Shut em down. If the students can't be trusted they can stay home.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:
Yesterday New York's SUNY system with over 60 campuses announced all online learning from Thanksgiving until February 1, 2021.

All students returning to a campus in February must be tested and Spring Break 2021 is canceled.

@Johnnyeager  I think I heard students are required to be tested before they exit school for Thanksgiving so they don't bring the virus into their communities.  

Meanwhile I find it so ironic that the very people who are screaming about their "freedom" being stunted are the very people who are the cause of their freedom being stunted.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

Re: UMich Closes Dorms

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Dr. Fauci would not support infecting 500 students, pretty safe to say. A school could possibly open safely if they did it correctly and actually walked all their safety talk. And changed direction if things went wrong. Devil is always in the details.

If a school can't ban parties, they can't open safely in person. And we're seeing that these schools can't control the students in any meaningful way to prevent Covid outbreaks. So? Shut em down. If the students can't be trusted they can stay home.

@Porcelain , your post said that "everyone said not to open them to begin with."  All I was responding to was that that is an incorrect statement. 

@Deree , I believe you are correct that many colleges and universities are requiring Covid testing before they let out for fall break. It's also my understanding that with some of these schools, if you don't comply, you cannot register for winter classes.   

Honored Contributor

Between the sports events and political rallies no wonder covid is spreading like butter.

that motorcycle rally was nutso, too

Honored Contributor

I have three grandkids in college; all are on campuses and the schools are doing an extraordinary job of making sure everyone is safe.they go to some classes, limited size, social distancing, masks required on campus at all times, frequent, random testing via a special watch students must wear.they are notified immediately if anyone in their class or dorm has tested positive, then quarantine kicks in. Those who are positive are sent to a hotel to stay 14 days or more with med checks and meals delivered. So far it is working well and there have been very few cases. However, we are not seeing any of them for Thanksgiving. DH is still insisting we continue to be vigilant and I agree. Hurry up with the vaccine, already! 

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess Your family and your grandchildrens' schools are doing it the way that it should be done.  The next few months will be tough.