Honored Contributor

UKRAINIAN EASTER EGG ARTISTS SHOW SUPPORT

[ Edited ]

hands.jpg

The Toronto Star newspaper featured some of these amazing little eggs, "Pysanky", the creation of which, is a lovely Easter tradition in Ukraine.

Some of you may know that the country with the largest concentration of expatriate Ukrainians (outside of Russia) is Canada.

I spent a good deal of my childhood in Oshawa, Ontario, and knew plenty of immigrant Ukrainians.  It was fun to learn that one of the pysanky artists in this project is from Oshawa, Dave Melnychuk:

dave_with_egg.jpg 

nadia_with_egg.jpg

Every symbol, every line in the eggs has deep significance for these people, and the cause they support.

tania_with_egg.jpg

If interested in these artists and the extraordinary process of producing these intricate little masterpieces, just google the title of the Toronto Star article:

These Easter eggs have a story to tell.

P.S.   Just realized, maybe I should give the FULL title of the article:

These Easter Eggs Have a Story to Tell.  Six Pysanky Artists Write a Message of Hope to Ukraine.

Honored Contributor

Re: UKRAINIAN EASTER EGG ARTISTS SHOW SUPPORT

So beautiful...the first one is my favorite.  Thanks @Oznell !

Trusted Contributor

So beautiful. Thank you for sharing that.

Honored Contributor

Sunflower Sunrise - Real Handmade Traditional Ukrainian Goose Egg | Egg  crafts, Pressed flower art, Easter egg designs

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

They are just beautiful. In Poland, they are called Pisanka or Pisanki...since the countries of Ukraine and Poland share a border, many customs are also shared or adopted.  My grandmothers and aunts hand painted these every Easter. They were shiny and beautiful. I will never forget that tradition❤️

☮️

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much for sharing, @Oznell.  I have seen pictures of these eggs before and find them amazingly beautiful.  They exemplify the spirit of these artists.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Thank you for posting this for us, the eggs are just beautiful!

Thumbs Up Emoticon - Beautiful Emoji Queen Duvet, transparent png download

Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing about the beautiful Polish tradition of pisanki, @bmorechick .   I'm stunned by those as well.  And the fascinating ways they can be made, using wax and all kinds of skilled techniques.  It's wonderful that these great Eastern European folk traditions still flourish.

Some vibrant Polish decorated eggs from Warsaw:

Colorful Polish pisanki upclose Warsaw Poland 2014.JPG