Esteemed Contributor

Re: UK has the highest daily death rate current from COVID19

[ Edited ]

I've been trying, without success, to sign up for vaccinations. My husband and I are in our 70s. My daughter said she KNOWS she can get us in somewhere. She told me this morning that she'd get right back to me as soon as she found an open vaccination site within 75 miles. It's six hours later and I haven't heard a thing.

P.S. À good friend has a son who lives in Nottingham, England. She told me that the rate of Covid infection is even higher there than it is here. We have higher numbers because we are a more populous nation, but both the US and the UK are in big trouble with Corona.

Honored Contributor

IMO, people are putting too much emphasis on these vaccines.  I was always under the impression that safe AND effective vaccines take years to develop.  I understand that it gives us a glimmer of hope for the end of this pandemic but I fear that it will not change things as much as some people expect.  I hope I'm wrong.  BTW, I'm 70 and am in no rush to get the vaccine.

Honored Contributor

I keep wondering if people wore masks, adhered the rules of social distancing if things would be as dire as they are now.

Respected Contributor

I have family and friends in the UK.  My 84 year old uncle there messaged me yesterday and said he was notified to get his Covid jab on Wednesday.  His 20 year old grandson has a part time job at a hospital and he gets his jab Monday.  My mum is 83 and lives with me here and is wondering when she'll be able to get one.  The distribution of the vaccine here really leaves a lot to be desired.

Frequent Contributor

My dad is 85 and got his first Moderna vaccine last Saturday.  He just had it a little sore at the injection site for a day.  He said did not hurt at all during the injection, and that is was better than getting the flu shot. After 14 days from the vaccination, on the 22nd he will be 80-90% covered with the first shot, and after the second shot, he will be 95%. 

He already has his second vaccine appointment scheduled, and it is done at the hospital.  The second shot is the booster to make the vaccine more effective and last longer.  The Pfizer vaccine is 52% effective after the first shot, so I am glad he got Moderna. 

My aunt with stage 4 lung cancer and 78 years old got her first vaccine injection last Monday.  She had done well with it with only soreness on the arm for a day or two.  She got the Pfizer.

I am in the last group at 63 and no underlying conditions.  I hope I get it in the summer because I have a cruise scheduled in the fall and I bet they require the vaccine to cruise.

Valued Contributor

I was in my local Publix here in Florida yesterday and they had a little room set up and were administering shots. There were only about 5 people, young and old, waiting to get theirs. The state has contracted with Publix so there is a wide distribution and its flowing just fine, at least in my area. 

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover

It depends on where you live in FL. Miami – Dade did not receive any new vaccine shipments this week and is not scheduled to receive anything next week. Unless they get more they are going to run out in a couple of days.
Honored Contributor

1b begins next week in maryland. 1c begins the following week. my 80 year old mother is anxious to get it, but i dont think maryland has enough of a supply at this point to get to all of the people in group one. it will be a long haul.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

Highest compared to their former death rates? Because two days ago, we had over 4K to the "UK's" 1.5K; yesterday, we were over 4K to their 1.2K; and today, final stats aren't in and our worst states don't have numbers yet.

Every month that passes comes closer to other vaccines being given EUAs and the first vaccines securing actual approval, not just authorization. So despair not, things will get better!

Rate - is per capita.  The US population is more than 5x that of the UK. The UK has also been slammed by the more highly transmissible variant - which is in the US - on an upward trajectory - but most likely still at a significantly lower percentage than in the UK.  

The UK is taking serious, wide-spread, lock-down messures, and has also modified their vaccine distributions to get the first dose of the Oxford vaccine to as many as possible as soon as possible.

I do not know where the US stands as far as approving the Oxford vaccine . . . 

Hoping that ALL countries can treat their populations vacinated and treated . . . 

Do the math.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

They are dying daily at a very high rate.  They having a daily average of 933 deaths.  I just talked to a friend of mine there.  She said people are trying to leave.  Just to save their lives.  Although vaccine distribution is moving faster then here, they have a much smaller population. 

Removed link for political sidebar at bottom of page

I've given up on getting the vaccine any time this year.  

I hope that I can get it this year. I'm in my early 50's, pretty healthy. 

Truth is though, Wal greens gave me a list of places that will start giving the vaccine here this coming Monday, but you must call first and get your name on list, I was trying to get info for my elderly parents. There were 5 or 6 smaller pharmacies on the list locally, thats it. I took a pic and sent it to mom, told her she needed to get right on this, and get her and daddy in line. First place she called went immediately to a message saying they are taking no more names for the list for covid vaccine. 

The next place she called was able to put their names on the list.

I'm hopeful I can get it later this year, but I don't think it is a given anymore. I'm honestly afraid there aren't going to be enough vaccines for everyone.