Honored Contributor

Nothing has been written as to whether the vaccine will be effective against this new UK Covid strain. All I've  read is that it spreading faster.

Honored Contributor

Re: UK New Covid Strain

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

Nothing has been written as to whether the vaccine will be effective against this new UK Covid strain. All I've  read is that it spreading faster.

@occasionalrain   The rate of transmission may be up to 70% faster with this new strain according to CNN.  I don't know anything about the vaccine in relation to this strain.

All I read is that certain parts of England, Wales, and Scotland are having lower rates and therefore limited gatherings will be allowed for Christmas Day.

For areas with higher rates, all other household gatherings have been cancelled.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain   Source?  Copy/paste article?

UK has had the vaccine since the beginning of December.  Are you just talking about the UK or the UK COVID new strain has spread over to the US?  Your post is confusing to me.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain, I will copy and paste part of the email communication I receive from Johns Hopkins School of Public Health:

UK Scientists Investigate Spike Protein Mutation 

Could a novel strain of SARS-CoV-2 identified this month be linked to an accelerating spread in the country’s southeast? Public Health England is investigating.

British scientists emphasized there is currently no evidence the new strain causes more severe illness or has any impact on antibody response or vaccine efficacy.

It would be “pretty surprising” if the virus would have already evolved to evade such a new vaccine, chief medical officer Professor Chris Whitty said in a press conference, BBC Science Focus reports.

The new strain includes a mutation in the spike protein, which in theory could help the virus become more infectious and spread more easily.

Some Perspective: SARS-CoV-2 has already mutated many times—including around 4,000 mutations in the spike protein gene alone.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Re: UK New Covid Strain

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac Sorry it was confusing.  As far as I know it hasn't  spread to the US but, according to what I read, it s only a matter of time until it does.

Since the UK has been vaccinating, in time it will be known if the vaccine is also effective against it. I doubt it will be since the flu vaccine is strain specific.

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota Thank goodness you're around and helping explain things. I really appreciate what you do. Thank you for sharing what you know, as usual. Greatly needed.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

If you want information on this topic go to healthlinedotcom and read why You Shouldn't Freak Out About New Strain of Coronavirus by N. Schimelpfening

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@pitdakota Thank goodness you're around and helping explain things. I really appreciate what you do. Thank you for sharing what you know, as usual. Greatly needed.

@Porcelain, no problem, I just passed along content from one of the emails from Johns Hopkins.  It just so happens I am on quite a few list serves and email lists pertaining to public health from my public health nursing teaching days.  Consequently, I get quite a few emails and try to wade through most of them when I can.   lol  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Frequent Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@occasionalrain, I will copy and paste part of the email communication I receive from Johns Hopkins School of Public Health:

UK Scientists Investigate Spike Protein Mutation 

Could a novel strain of SARS-CoV-2 identified this month be linked to an accelerating spread in the country’s southeast? Public Health England is investigating.

British scientists emphasized there is currently no evidence the new strain causes more severe illness or has any impact on antibody response or vaccine efficacy.

It would be “pretty surprising” if the virus would have already evolved to evade such a new vaccine, chief medical officer Professor Chris Whitty said in a press conference, BBC Science Focus reports.

The new strain includes a mutation in the spike protein, which in theory could help the virus become more infectious and spread more easily.

Some Perspective: SARS-CoV-2 has already mutated many times—including around 4,000 mutations in the spike protein gene alone.

Thanks @pitdakota !

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

i think this is going to be just like the flu. only more deadly.. the vaccine wont cover all the strains like the flu... and people will still be getting sick and spreading it.. i heard a month or 2 ago this will never go away.......... and it wont!!............