Honored Contributor

Re: U.S. FDA authorizes Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use

[ Edited ]

DH has been informed that his employer is offering employees the vaccine. He may be able to be one of the earlier recipients.

(I do have to say that I have a real problem with the official who demanded the FDA make this authorization yesterday or resign. Speed is important. Threats are unconscionable.)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

There will be so many people who will refuse the vaccine and since its not 100% effective, we'll still be wearing masks, maybe forever.  We don't even know how long it will be effective.  It could be very briefly.  Too much is not known.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

But there is also lobbying and jockeying for groups to be moved into higher levels:

In NYC the taxi and limousine union has asked that its membership be placed into priority categories. 

Similarly, the American Bankers Association has asked that its public front facing service employees,  bank tellers, be prioritized also.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

But there is also lobbying and jockeying for groups to be moved into higher levels:

In NYC the taxi and limousine union has asked that its membership be placed into priority categories. 

Similarly, the American Bankers Association has asked that its public front facing service employees,  bank tellers, be prioritized also.

Yes, saw that today in the LAT. They are all coming out of the woodwork, @Johnnyeager 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

There will be so many people who will refuse the vaccine and since its not 100% effective, we'll still be wearing masks, maybe forever.  We don't even know how long it will be effective.  It could be very briefly.  Too much is not known.

@Kachina624 

There are so many who refuse to wear masks now and so many that mistakenly think getting the vaccine means they can forget about masks and social distancing that I have serious doubts about how much the vaccine will help in this country, if at all. 

I won’t get the vaccine, not even thinking about being last in line. I don’t shop in stores, don’t eat out, don’t gather in groups. I do work full time but I have my own office and wear a mask whenever I am outside of my office at work. I don’t need a vaccine. What I do now is more protective than the vaccine could be. That has been stated by health experts.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3.  I have the same doubts.  I'll probably get it but I don't see it changing my reluctant hermit lifestyle.  There's too much uncertainty.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

To appreciate the success of both Pfizer and Moderna just look up the story on Reuters that says Sanofi and GSK delayed covid -19 vaccine due to an insufficient immune response in older people.  The delay means starting new research on  another vaccine around Feb with the end date at the end of next year.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've driven by the Pfizer Global Manufacturing site where they're making the vaccine a few times in the last couple of days. It's certainly a fantastic boost for the area that it's being made here.  However; the press rodeo is hilarious. Every network, plus every local station within 150 miles has a crew out there, all positioning for their time to do a shot standing in front of the sign that has the Pfizer name and address on it. Apparently, standing on the side of the road in a freezing downpour, just so the corporate image can be seen in the background somehow makes the reporting more compeling. Or something like that. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Husband and I have no plans to get vaccinated until perhaps 6 months down the road or so. We are older and live alone, not in a group home. We no longer drive far from home. We will wait and see how things go with side effects of vaccine. When available at our doc's office my husband will get it first, both shots. I will then get my shots. As of now we have absolutely no problem masking and social distancing. We do not travel or gather in groups. Have not touched restaurant food since last Feb.  The vaccines being developed are a blessing, and those whose lifestyles require them to be out and about with jobs and families should be vaccinated as soon as they can. 

Oh that the same amount of time and money could be spent on researching a cure for cancer.....that would be a true miracle. 

Honored Contributor

I saw on the news that only 45% of the US population definitely plans to get the vaccine. Dr Fauci stated that we need 75-80% to get the vaccine (and all of them also need to wear masks and practice social distancing but half won’t do it now and more will stop because they get the vaccine and mistakenly think they are 100% protected) in order to see it make a difference. 

I just don't see that happening in the US. Not with the behavior we have seen throughout the country this year.