Honored Contributor

Re: U.S. Destroyer/Philippines container ship collision

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I am only guessing, but maybe the captain of the container ship was drunk, or asleep at the wheel?

Ships do  not turn on a dime, so I am guessing that the Navy ship tried to avoid a collision, by taking evasive manuvers, but the collision happened anyway.

As I said, I'm just guessing.

You are making a huge assumption about that poor vessels captain - or whomever was in charge. In actual fact - most of our navy ships are painted with radar deflecting paint and so the shiop would not have detected them in that way - it was dark - and perhaps by the time they saw our ship they were unable to turn their's quickly enough. The navy ship was rammed in the side by the cargo ship.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I am only guessing, but maybe the captain of the container ship was drunk, or asleep at the wheel?

Ships do  not turn on a dime, so I am guessing that the Navy ship tried to avoid a collision, by taking evasive manuvers, but the collision happened anyway.

As I said, I'm just guessing.

You are making a huge assumption about that poor vessels captain - or whomever was in charge. In actual fact - most of our navy ships are painted with radar deflecting paint and so the shiop would not have detected them in that way - it was dark - and perhaps by the time they saw our ship they were unable to turn their's quickly enough. The navy ship was rammed in the side by the cargo ship.

I said TWICE that I was just guessing.  

Also, it wouldn't be the first time that the captain of a cargo ship was either drunk or asleep at the helm.

Remember Exxon Valdeeze?

Honored Contributor

Since it was 2 AM I imagine the captain was asleep, but someone was in charge. And it is not right to say things like drunk or asleep at the helm without evidence of that.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Since it was 2 AM I imagine the captain was asleep, but someone was in charge. And it is not right to say things like drunk or asleep at the helm without evidence of that.

I just said that it MIGHT be a POSSIBILITY.

Do you even understand what those words mean?

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Anytime a navy ship collides with something, that's pretty much the end of the captains career. 

@Kachina624

I don't doubt it.   But just HOW do two enormous ships collide in broad daylight?   How is this even possible?

It wasn't during the day, it was at 2:30 in the morning.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The news that the missing sailors were found dead  is heart breaking, I was hoping so much for a better outcome. There will be a formal investigation but I'm sure that will take many months. Until then, it won't be known for sure what exactly happened. Anything being put out there now is just conjecture.

Respected Contributor

I wonder why they passed the Navy ship did a uturn and hit it?

Don't alarms sound when something is getting close?

Honored Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

I don't think this is what happened. The cargo ship hit the navy ship broadside!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

I don't think this is what happened. The cargo ship hit the navy ship broadside!

They were showing an animated graphic on the news , the shipping vessel went past it, turned the whole way around and hit the Navy ship

Maybe they are wrong, I don't know

Washington Post:

Marine tracking data showed the container ship, the Philippine-flagged ACX Crystal, which was sailing from the port of Nagoya to Tokyo, performed a sudden 180-degree turn in the busy shipping lane south of Yokosuka and doubled back along its path shortly before the crash. The weather was clear with a swell of about six feet at the time.

Honored Contributor

It's a heartbreaking, terrible tragedy. Those poor families who got that dreaded phone call.