Honored Contributor

Types of Masks and Filtration

Hi is there much difference between the N95 mask and the 2.5 filter to be used in the pocket of many masks,

thanks all stay well

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Types of Masks and Filtration

@I am still oxox wrote:

Hi is there much difference between the N95 mask and the 2.5 filter to be used in the pocket of many masks,

thanks all stay well

@I am still oxox I would imagine the N95 is much better. I was sent two 2.5 filters with a set of masks I ordered (I think as an apology for the late shipping), I haven't used them yet, they aren't very thick. I saw an ad for masks for the summer, a lighter fabric. So now I can put away all the cloth masks I bought to buy these "summer" ones, I don't think so!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes...

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, there is a big difference between the two and depends what you need.

The mask you wear is for our benefit and a simple surgical/cloth mask does a good job.  And the same, we wear a simple mask to protect you.  For masks that's all you need to do.

And avoid people who are without a mask, do your distancing, etc.

That's why it's so important FOR EVERYONE TO WEAR their own MASK.  

if you are in healthcare:   the N95 type is used for people in health care or if you have to care for someone sick at home.  That mask has to be fitted really close for no leaks. Most folks don't need this type of mask. 

Go to the CDC website because there is a lot to do to protect yourself.  The best advice I read was do everything if you can and you can get close to 100% protection:  stay home, go out little, wear a mask, wash your hands, social distance, etc.

The numbers a beginning to climb dramatically in AZ, NC, TX, OR, 

because of relaxing the rules.  OR has delayed reopening.

Valued Contributor

In the absence of an N95 mask I would think the combined use of a face covering with a face shield would prove to be quite affective.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

thanks all stay well

This is the CDC cheat sheet for face masks, etc.:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/cloth-face-coverings-information.pdf