Honored Contributor

Re: Type A riskier. Second blood study in New England Journal Of Medicine.

I'm Type A-  ... not worried at all.  

Honored Contributor

I've read that before.  Everyone in my family is A negative.

I don't worry about stuff.  If I did I'd be in a mental hospital.

My oldest daughter worries about this virus enough for everyone.  She's obsessed about it.  

She left yesterday to go to the beach for a week.  She has basically moved at least 1/2 of her home here to the beach cottage.  She's always been a worrier but she has friends all over the world.  This adds to her worry.  Some of these friends are Drs.  In our family, we have 5 (maybe 6 now) RN's and a few PA's.  They've tried to get her to worry less but I told them to 'save your breath'.

I think if a person is careful, keep hands away from face, use sanitizers, etc.  they will be fine.  I'm lucky because I don't have to be around large groups of people (and neither does she for that matter).

There will always be things in life to be cautious of...use your brain.

Honored Contributor

I wish I knew my blood type.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Despite having surgeries, my doctor didn't know mine. I donated blood just to get typed. They sent me a donor card with my  blood type on it.

Honored Contributor

A friend told me a couple of weeks ago about the firs tstudy on this.  It's interesting and if it's helpful in prevention or treatment I think that's a very good thing.  

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

A friend told me a couple of weeks ago about the firs tstudy on this.  It's interesting and if it's helpful in prevention or treatment I think that's a very good thing.  

I'd read about it earlier, too. I find it a bit depressing because it brings to four the number of risk factors I have for a more serious case of COVID-19 if I'm ever infected. If I felt like letting my guard down--which I don't--this would set me straight.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Despite having surgeries, my doctor didn't know mine. I donated blood just to get typed. They sent me a donor card with my  blood type on it.

@noodleann, I cannot donate blood. I wish that I could. I'm under the minimum weight requirement.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@noodleann, I cannot donate blood. I wish that I could. I'm under the minimum weight requirement.

@suzyQ3 , sorry to hear that. 

Walmart sells blood type test kits. Don't know more than that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm AB+, so I'm not sure where that falls risk wise.  I always used to give blood during our office blood drives, although I was told my blood type was only used for research.  On the plus side, I'm a universal recipient, should the need ever arise.

Actually, I kind of hate these kinds of reports.  It's one thing if it's something I can do about it to protect myself.  But it's quite another, knowing there's not a darn thing one can do about one's blood type.

@Krimpette @RetRN @Sorry, I'm too tired for a rewrite of these studies so I'm just going to

quote. These are not studies about outcome once contracted, these are studies about susceptibility. 

"Jiao Zhao, of The Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, and colleagues looked at blood types of 2,173 patients with COVID-19 in three hospitals in Wuhan, China, as well as blood types of more than 23,000 non-COVID-19 individuals in Wuhan and Shenzhen. They found that individuals with blood types in the A group (A-positive, A-negative and AB-positive, AB-negative) were at a higher risk of contracting the disease compared with non-A-group types. People with O blood types (O-negative and O-positive) had a lower risk of getting the infection compared with non-O blood types, the scientists wrote in the preprint database medRxiv on March 27; the study has yet to be reviewed by peers in the field."

"In a more recent study of blood type and COVID-19, published online April 11 to medRxiv, scientists looked at 1,559 people tested for SARS-CoV-2 at New York Presbyterian hospital; of those, 682 tested positive. Individuals with A blood types (A-positive and A-negative) were 33% more likely to test positive than other blood types and both O-negative and O-positive blood types were less likely to test positive than other blood groups. (There's a 95% chance that the increase in risk ranges from 7% to 67% more likely.) Though only 68 individuals with an AB blood type were included, the results showed this group was also less likely than others to test positive for COVID-19." 

Quoted from 

"Why COVID-19 kills some people and spares others.Here's what scientists are finding."

Coronavirus Causes Damage in Various Organs

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm AB+, so I'm not sure where that falls risk wise.  I always used to give blood during our office blood drives, although I was told my blood type was only used for research.  On the plus side, I'm a universal recipient, should the need ever arise.

Actually, I kind of hate these kinds of reports.  It's one thing if it's something I can do about it to protect myself.  But it's quite another, knowing there's not a darn thing one can do about one's blood type.

Sorry @Krimpette, I'm too tired to rewrite the results, so I'm quoting

sease.

Jiao Zhao, of The Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, and colleagues looked at blood types of 2,173 patients with COVID-19 in three hospitals in Wuhan, China, as well as blood types of more than 23,000 non-COVID-19 individuals in Wuhan and Shenzhen. They found that individuals with blood types in the A group (A-positive, A-negative and AB-positive, AB-negative) were at a higher risk of contracting the disease compared with non-A-group types. People with O blood types (O-negative and O-positive) had a lower risk of getting the infection compared with non-O blood types, the scientists wrote in the preprint database medRxiv on March 27; the study has yet to be reviewed by peers in the field.

In a more recent study of blood type and COVID-19, published online April 11 to medRxiv, scientists looked at 1,559 people tested for SARS-CoV-2 at New York Presbyterian hospital; of those, 682 tested positive. Individuals with A blood types (A-positive and A-negative) were 33% more likely to test positive than other blood types and both O-negative and O-positive blood types were less likely to test positive than other blood groups. (There's a 95% chance that the increase in risk ranges from 7% to 67% more likely.) Though only 68 individuals with an AB blood type were included, the results showed this group was also less likely than others to test positive for COVID-19.