Respected Contributor

Re: Type A riskier. Second blood study in New England Journal Of Medicine.

Dang it! I was always so proud of being an A+ in something.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

A friend told me a couple of weeks ago about the firs tstudy on this.  It's interesting and if it's helpful in prevention or treatment I think that's a very good thing.  

I'd read about it earlier, too. I find it a bit depressing because it brings to four the number of risk factors I have for a more serious case of COVID-19 if I'm ever infected. If I felt like letting my guard down--which I don't--this would set me straight.

@noodleann wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

A friend told me a couple of weeks ago about the firs tstudy on this.  It's interesting and if it's helpful in prevention or treatment I think that's a very good thing.  

I'd read about it earlier, too. I find it a bit depressing because it brings to four the number of risk factors I have for a more serious case of COVID-19 if I'm ever infected. If I felt like letting my guard down--which I don't--this would set me straight.

@noodleann wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@noodleann 

The friend who told me about the first study is an A and then she read that a heart condition she has is another risk factor.  These things on top of some other stressful personal and professional issues she's got going on she was a mess this past week.

I felt bad for her.  But I know that ignoring the news isn't the answer either.

Respected Contributor

I read an article about this a few months ago. I believe back then, the initial conclusion was based on info gathered from the cases in China.

I’ve been wondering about the role of blood type in my dad’s case. He’s in a NH due to dementia. He’s definitely losing his memory but still knows my siblings and me. His balance has been declining though and after several falls, NH staff sent him to the hospital thinking he had a possible concussion. All tests for that were negative however, his bloodwork showed he had low sodium AND that he had Covid 19 (inflammatory markers were raised + he had some pockets of Covid pneumonia in his lungs, too.). No fever, no coughing.

They treated him with convalescent plasma and due to never having outward symptoms he went back to NH to their Covid wing. That was 3 weeks ago and he’s now back in a regular room. Did we just get lucky and it was caught at the very beginning? Did his O+ blood factor into his survival? He’s 92 1/2. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli 

That's really interesting for him to have a relatively mild case at his advanced age. Maybe there really is something to this blood type thing. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Kalli 

That's really interesting for him to have a relatively mild case at his advanced age. Maybe there really is something to this blood type thing. 

@shoesnbags , I didn’t want to make my original post too long but I will add to it and say that when Dad turned 40 he made a commitment to get healthy. He and Mom changed their diet to a healthier one, started regular exercise, jogging almost every day, stretching and some weights. They maintained this until a few years ago. Mom has now passed. But Dad was still walking up and down the NH halls until 6 months ago when he started losing his balance. Physically he’s surprisingly healthy for his age but  the dementia is slowly taking him away from us. ☹️

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry @Kalli .  That so often seems to be the case - the mind fails, but the body is still strong. Or we stay sharp as a tack, but fall apart physically.  So hard either way.  Wishing you strength with your dad!  At least he is back at his nursing home and not struggling on a ventilator. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett