Honored Contributor

Re: Tx weather event, frozen pipes

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Icegoddess Yes, I have a curb key to cut off all the water, if necessary, plus I know I can cut off individual faucets under cabinets. I just hope none of those things have to happen.

I get your comment, and worries, about your DH and his friend. I don't get what men are thinking sometimes.

My brother took off from his home in Austin yesterday, for a short trip to the grocery store. He had no problem going there, but coming back, he didn't realize he'd have to navigate an icy incline, one that hadn't been a problem going down previously. He couldn't get traction to get up it.

He had to leave his truck and started walking home in the frigid weather carrying grocery bags. Thankfully, a neighbor saw him and picked him up in his Jeep for a ride home, but he had to leave his truck behind. My brother's comment: 'Man, that was really stupid.' 

@BlueFinch Pickup trucks are terrible for icy roads because there is no weight on the back tires unless you've got a load, and they're still rear-wheel drive.  I live on a big hill. 

Back in 1995 or 1996 we had a really big ice storm.  My husband put me and my daughter on a flight to Atlanta for a dance competition and we got there shortly before they actually shut down that airport.  A couple of days later we hitched a ride home with another parent who actually lives on a neighboring street.  The roads were fine in Atlanta, but the closer we got to home the worse they got.  Eventually, we parked at a fast food restaurant and her husband came to get us in his 4wd.  He was having a ball getting to use it.  However, as he tried to turn into my driveway it started sliding.  He couldn't do it.  He actually had to drive down the hill and back up again to be able to get into the driveway.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Icegoddess.  There should be a central water shut off somewhere in the house.  I didn't know i had one until a plumber showed it to me.

@Kachina624 

YES.....it is very important to know where that is for ANY water emergency in the home. ours is in our basement above a ceiling tile. it used to be a round handle, but we changed it to a bar to make it easier to get a hold of and turn off.

water shut off valve.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Just read that 90-95% of Galveston households are with out power.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 Thanks for posting the picture for those who need to know.

I have 3 outside faucets so have 3 of those - 2 at ceiling level and not easy to open - push up........... but easier to close - pull down

If you don't like ladders you need a long pole of some sort to access it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Spent 3 weeks in Dallas during August!  Never going to forget that.  We're lucky.  We had only a day with ice.  So we still had power.  Our pipes have never frozen though.  They are insulated and down in the basement.  They are insulated but exposed due to any emergency.  So I guess it's because  of luck. The pipes look like they're wearing little jackets.

A lot of Texans don't have basements.  The soil is limestone which is difficult & expensive to make a basement. Not to be confused with storm cellars (really a hole to hide in) I suspect they are in the Northern parts of Texas which is tornado prone.

Honored Contributor

Here in Nebraska we have been having rolling blackouts to lighten the load on the system across the midwest. Tonight our overnight temp will be between -25 to -30. The next 24-36 hours will be tough. Hang in there...

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch ,

I will say most, maybe not all, houses have a Main Water Shutoff Valve. Some I think contractors even deliberately hide. Why? Some because of cosmetic looks, I presume. Others?.

Here in the Midwest, frozen pipes are not uncommon, but homes are, or should be, built differently because of pretty regular cold temperatures. I had 2 outside pipes freeze, so I had my plumber friend put shutoff handles on both the front and rear of our homes sillcocks. I shut them off inside and opened the outside valve after shutting them off.

Leaving a faucet barely dripping, even a drip, can help prevent a frozen pipe. I learned this from my plumber friend years ago. 

When frozen, a little heat along with moving air, most times will open an indoor frozen pipeline. In our townhome I installed an electric tape wrap on our kitchen water lines after it froze once on us.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Occasional Contributor

I've had a few frozen pipes here in western PA if  the temperture gets below 0.  I have used a hairdryer to thaw the pipes.  It should be fairly easy to do.  Turn on the faucet before you use the hairdryer.  Once it begins to flow leave the water dripping all night.  Also leave the doors open under the sink for air flow.. I hope this helps you.

Honored Contributor

I guess I will ask why when people know they are definitely going to, or very likely to have a pipe freezing situation, they don't shut the water off, and drain the pipes before it happens. 

I mean, frozen pipes can kind of sneak up on those of us in the colder north, as you can live somewhere for years, experience lots of low temps and wind chills, and never have a problem. Then one time, kind of out of nowhere, you get a pipe that will freeze up in the very same conditions that never caused it to happen before. 

But I have planned that should I loose power and have no heat for an extended period and temps in a danger range, to kill the main water breaker (we are on a well, and power runs the pump) drain the pipes, and hopefully prevent a problem. 

Draw some water before doing so, and if enough warning, get things done that would need water, like catch up laundry, take a shower, do up all the dishes etc.

I hope that between a wood burning stove, two kerosene heaters, and two generators, that we wouldn't be without at least enough heat to keep the pipes safe, but honestly you never know. 

@BlueFinch 

I really hope you don't have any lasting issues once the thaw comes. It is true that just because the water freezes up, doesn't mean that pipes will break. I hope you have that experience. Stay safe. 

Respected Contributor

I have lived in Mn for many years. Temps of -20 and colder are not abnormal.

here is what has worked for frozen pipes for us...you can use a blow dryer to try to thaw..if that works, run yiur water at a slow stream...keeping the cupboard doors open .

these have worked for us. Good luck..you weather is unbelievable,