Honored Contributor

Two words I never knew existed. Rheum and Petrichor

[ Edited ]

I never knew there as a word for the smell of rain. It’s petrichor. 

I never knew there is a medical term for the crusty, ‘sleep’ in the corner in my eyes when I awaken. It’s call rheum. Who knew!

Honored Contributor

Re: Two words I never knew existed. Rheum and Petrichor

@Mindy D wrote:

I never knew there as a word for the smell of rain. It’s petrichor. 

I never knew there is a medical term for the crusty, ‘sleep’ in the corner of my eyes when I awaken. It’s call rheum. Who knew!

@Mindy D   I love words and learning new words!

Honored Contributor

I knew about "petrichor" because I can smell rain right before it starts.  The smell goes away after about 5 minutes after it starts.

I grew up thinking everybody could smell rain.

Rheum is a new one on me!  Who knew?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  Thanks for this!  I love learning new words.  I get a new word delivered to my e-mail every day, most of which I already know but sometimes I don't, and I also get a daily word quiz.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I have heard of red, watery eyes described as "rheumy."  But I had never heard the word "rheum."  "Petrichor" is a new one for me too.

Interesting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's interesting, @Mindy D!   I enjoy learning new words.   I've loved rain since I was very young...  the minute the rain started, I'd run out to our screened-in side porch, comfy in the soft fabric of an ancient patio chair (remember the folding ones with a length of fabric suspended in a wooden frame?), and then lose myself in a good book.   The scent is wonderful!   I always thought it was the change in the ozone that created that scent and that "feel" in the air.   I can recall the scents and surroundings just thinking about it.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I have always heard of rheumey eyes as red and watery eyes.  The other one I didn't know.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo  I too would smell the rain from out porch glider, it smelled so fresh. 

Often I will comment that “it smells like rain” to someone and they don’t smell it.

Respected Contributor

Enjoyed learning those two interesting words. Now if only I could remember them!

Honored Contributor

I know I'll forget those, but, it's interesting.  I hear new words now and then and love to say them and when I hear them from time to time, I practically shout them out loud, because they are such fun to say.