Honored Contributor

Re: Two gorillas tested positive for COVID-19

@qualitygal wrote:

I'd love to read the article on this.  

Their fecal matter was tested, when they exhibited coughing and some other symptoms. They think one of the caregivers may have given it to them.  One other may have it, but they're keeping an eye on it.

@qualitygal 

i wanted to post the link to the NPR article, but it was filled with links to political articles, so i could not. if you google NPR and the title i posted, you should be able to find it easily. there are also other articles on this as someone else mentioned.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

What strikes me as odd is keepers have always masked up when they are near primates for the very reason of passing germs. 

Masks are somewhat limited in their effectiveness in preventing the spread of bacteria or viruses. Most of the humans (87% I think in the last study I saw) catching Covid wore masks. If you wear glasses and your glasses steam up when wearing a mask, it's due to the moisture-laden (potentially virus-laden) exhalation going around the mask. Unless you wear an exceptionally tight-fitting mask, and most people don't, there will be air and possibly viruses and bacteria bypassing the mask. Studies done have shown that surgical masks in the operating room are typically useless in protecting the patient from infection.  

As someone who's sanded joint compound, I can assure you that most of the common masks are not perfect. Unless you wear something more like a tight-fitting respirator, joint compound dust will get past the mask and into your mouth and nose. When you blow your nose at the end of the day, despite wearing a mask, you will get mostly white joint compound dust emerging. And sanding dust is a lot bigger than viruses. 

Masks are more a "We've got to do something" initiative from the government than a "We need to achieve something" initiative. Can they help? Sure. Are they anywhere near to perfect? No. Are they as effective as some would like us to believe? No. If they were we wouldn't be where we are today. I still wear a mask to improve my odds, but I'm fully aware I can still catch Covid, or the flu, or any number of other things, even though I wear a mask. 

I agree 100% @gardenman 

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

What strikes me as odd is keepers have always masked up when they are near primates for the very reason of passing germs. 

Not odd to me. We know wearing a mask lowers the transmission of germs, but doesn't eliminate them.  You would also need to practice social distancing....and if you are caring for the animal, you are not distanced.

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

Not odd to me. We know wearing a mask lowers the transmission of germs, but doesn't eliminate them.  You would also need to practice social distancing....and if you are caring for the animal, you are not distanced.

@alicedee, yes, thank you. Shame to see a post basically dismissing the efficacy of masks when credible health experts absolutely support their use.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

One would have to assume they were already getting plenty of vit D.  Would like to know more about that and how it affects animals, zinc as well.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

• @suzyQ3 wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

@alicedee, yes, thank you. Shame to see a post basically dismissing the efficacy of masks when credible health experts absolutely support their use.

@alicedee & @suzyQ3 , yes thank you!

I think  @pitdakota 

explained several times that people misinterpreted  & misstated the actual findings of the study mentioned in an earlier post thinking masks don't help -

sadly the misinfo still is alive and well.

I've seen her patient explanation of what the study actually found, in several threads........ here's one of them

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Another-confirmed-case-of-coronavirus-reinfection-published-in...

Haven't seen @pitdakota posting lately......... hope she's ok.❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 - was your comment in reference to my post? I was not saying it could not happern,  just stating what I've heard and seen.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 - was your comment in reference to my post? I was not saying it could not happern,  just stating what I've heard and seen.

Absolutely not, @riley1!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland