Honored Contributor

Two gorillas tested positive for COVID-19

[ Edited ]

Two gorillas at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park tested positive for COVID-19 and are showing mild symptoms. Park officials suspect the apes contracted the virus from an asymptomatic worker. via facebook and NPR

This is the first known natural transmission of the coronavirus to great apes, the news release says. But other animals were infected with the virus last year.

2 Gorillas In California Contract The Coronavirus (NPR)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: Two gorillas tested positive for COVID-19

[ Edited ]

Poooooor Babies, I hope they get over it fast, I hate to see any animal get sick, gorillas are such wonderous creatures. I love them.

I remember when the Phila Zoo had a primate house fire on Christmas Eve - I was inconsolable, all of the great apes perished. It tore me up.

Twenty-five years ago December 24, 1995...

The Philadelphia zoo fire broke the city's heart.

It was the gorilla house

The blaze caused the worst known loss of animal life at a zoo in history and cast a pall over the city during the Christmas season.

23 primates died. 

In truth, I never got over it.

Esteemed Contributor

😪😢😪😢😪😢

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't want to be the person doing the nasal swabs on a gorilla.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Might be better then a human.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd love to read the article on this.  

Their fecal matter was tested, when they exhibited coughing and some other symptoms. They think one of the caregivers may have given it to them.  One other may have it, but they're keeping an eye on it.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'd love to read the article on this.  

Their fecal matter was tested, when they exhibited coughing and some other symptoms. They think one of the caregivers may have given it to them.  One other may have it, but they're keeping an eye on it.

@qualitygal,  if you search on the phrase gorillas test positive for covid there are multiple sources.

This is one of the most complete I've found:

Gorillas test positive for coronavirus at San Diego park

news.yahoo.com/gorillas-test-positive-coronavirus-san-202308102.html

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

What strikes me as odd is keepers have always masked up when they are near primates for the very reason of passing germs. 

Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

Poooooor Babies, I hope they get over it fast, I hate to see any animal get sick, gorillas are such wonderous creatures. I love them.

I remember when the Phila Zoo had a primate house fire on Christmas Eve - I was inconsolable, all of the great apes perished. It tore me up.

Twenty-five years ago December 24, 1995...

The Philadelphia zoo fire broke the city's heart.

It was the gorilla house

The blaze caused the worst known loss of animal life at a zoo in history and cast a pall over the city during the Christmas season.

23 primates died. 

In truth, I never got over it.

I remember that fire at the Philadelphia Zoo. In fact for Mother's Day in 1996 my son gave me a stuffed toy gorilla. The Zoo was selling the stuffed gorillas to raise money to rebuild the gorilla house.

It was so upsetting when it happened. It took many years before I went to the Philadelphia Zoo.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

What strikes me as odd is keepers have always masked up when they are near primates for the very reason of passing germs. 

Masks are somewhat limited in their effectiveness in preventing the spread of bacteria or viruses. Most of the humans (87% I think in the last study I saw) catching Covid wore masks. If you wear glasses and your glasses steam up when wearing a mask, it's due to the moisture-laden (potentially virus-laden) exhalation going around the mask. Unless you wear an exceptionally tight-fitting mask, and most people don't, there will be air and possibly viruses and bacteria bypassing the mask. Studies done have shown that surgical masks in the operating room are typically useless in protecting the patient from infection.  

As someone who's sanded joint compound, I can assure you that most of the common masks are not perfect. Unless you wear something more like a tight-fitting respirator, joint compound dust will get past the mask and into your mouth and nose. When you blow your nose at the end of the day, despite wearing a mask, you will get mostly white joint compound dust emerging. And sanding dust is a lot bigger than viruses. 

Masks are more a "We've got to do something" initiative from the government than a "We need to achieve something" initiative. Can they help? Sure. Are they anywhere near to perfect? No. Are they as effective as some would like us to believe? No. If they were we wouldn't be where we are today. I still wear a mask to improve my odds, but I'm fully aware I can still catch Covid, or the flu, or any number of other things, even though I wear a mask. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!