Esteemed Contributor

Re: Two day-old babies Christmas shopping?

@kaydee50 wrote:

Assuming the woman was the mother how was SHE in Costco 2 days after giving birth????

@kaydee50 

I don't want to steer this conversation in a different direction, but there are historically documented situations where mothers work the same day that they gave birth.

It's the baby being out in a crowded place like a Costco that makes me wonder what this particular new mother (or caregiver) was thinking. 

Honored Contributor

It seems easier and easier to discount what hardships other people might face. We have no idea what the situation is and maybe this woman is doing the best she is able to or knows how to.

Maybe she doesn't have money, maybe she is single, maybe a lot of things.  Maybe someone there offered to help her out.  You never know.  

Respected Contributor

Newborns should be home, period.  They do not need to be exposed to all the illnesses floating around especially right now!!  And mothers should be home recovering from 9 months of pregnancy and birthing a child.  Call me old fashioned but that's ok. I am when it comes to something like this.

Respected Contributor

There was a man with her.,.I suppose the husband or boyfriend. It is indeed a different world. I pray that baby is okay. 

Respected Contributor

@Hoovermom   You are right. There is no common sense.

Respected Contributor

If she didn't have money I doubt she would have been in Costco. She had on a nice coat and her bf or husband did as well. I still worry about that baby. Has nothing to do with anything other than fearing for a newborn baby's well-being and health.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It seems easier and easier to discount what hardships other people might face. We have no idea what the situation is and maybe this woman is doing the best she is able to or knows how to.

Maybe she doesn't have money, maybe she is single, maybe a lot of things.  Maybe someone there offered to help her out.  You never know.  

@Sooner 

Not trying to pick an argument but I read an article several years back about the average income of the Costco shopper. So I have a hard time believing that the mother does not have money. 

Even if she is single did she loose her common sense when she gave birth? Cover the poor child up. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23  I would say that would be child abuse or at least neglect.  No common sense. Some people should not reproduce.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

If she didn't have money I doubt she would have been in Costco. She had on a nice coat and her bf or husband did as well. I still worry about that baby. Has nothing to do with anything other than fearing for a newborn baby's well-being and health.

@Trailrun23 

That makes the story even worse and more disturbing.  It's cold enough for the adults to have on coats but not to think the 2 day old child should be kept warm. 

Respected Contributor

The mother appeared to be in her thirties. She wasn't moving very fast...and I can understand why if she gave birth two days ago.