Esteemed Contributor

Re: Two day-old babies Christmas shopping?

It is neglect. @AuntG  If the parents are wearing a coat, then common sense would deem the baby should be in at least a blanket.

Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

@Trailrun23  The standard rule I was always told to follow if I was cold then my children are cold.  If I'm hot then they need to be dressed accordingly.  That being said my son was always hot as a child.  My ex husband's family always walked around in shorts in the winter (we lived in New England lol.  It took alot to get him to wear a coat and hat and I'd be freezing.  I had well meaning "mothers" tell me to put a coat on him (mind you he had a coat with us).  I taught him politely to answer them.  And he would explain he was hot and he was fine.  So some kids are just "different".  But a baby??  A 2 day old?  Nope, wrap that blessed gift up.  Yup if it was cold enough for the parents to be in a coat, socks and shoes...that baby better be dressed the same until they can tell you otherwise.  I would not "call the cops" since there isn't anything they can do.  Seriously there is not.  But I would have just made the comment "brrr it's chilly out, isn't your baby cold?"...

@eadu4 

So THAT'S where it came from?  Woman Surprised

When I was a kid, my mother was always forcing me to take a sweater to school and I hated it.  Of courrse, first thing in the morning it's always cool, but hours later it's hot and I'm dragging a sweater around.

When I was a teen, I saw the funny quote "A sweater is something you are made to wear when your mother feels cold".   We laughed about it.

Of course, this has nothing to do with a 2 day old baby ... just my two cents on a childhood experience.

Esteemed Contributor

I had the help and wise counsel of my mom and auntees when I had my children.  My newborn children were not taken out of doors until they were at least three months old.  Of course, if I had to take them to the pediatrician for regular visits I took them.  No one held my children except my me and my family.  No friends or friends of friends.

I was also taught to cover and protect their heads.  I recall one doctor telling me child didn't need all the clothing on that I put on him.  I just rolled my eyes.  My children are fine.  When it was cold out, they had snow suits and fitted footies to go out in.

Perhaps this young lady doesn't have an old school relative to show her the way.  Or, she could be making her decisions based on the advice she was given. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus wrote:

@JJsMom 

I think that @Cakers3 was being sarcastic/humorous. It took me a few second as well. 

@icezeus   Thank you. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@JJsMom 

I think that @Cakers3 was being sarcastic/humorous. It took me a few second as well. 

Yes, I totally missed that until Cakers3 pointed it out. My apologies to Cakers3!

@JJsMom   No problem!!!  Woman Happy

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Stanford Medicine recomends

" Babies can't adjust to temperature changes as well as adults. Babies can lose heat rapidly, nearly 4 times faster than an adult. Premature and low-birthweight babies don't have much body fat. Their bodies may not be ready to control their own temperature, even in a warm environment. Even full-term and healthy newborns may not be able to keep their body warm if the environment is too cold.

When your baby gets too cold, he or she uses energy and oxygen to generate warmth. If his or her skin temperatures drops just 1 degree from the ideal 97.7° F (36.5°C), your baby's oxygen use can increase by 10%. Keeping your baby at a temperature, which is neither too hot nor too cold, helps him or her hold onto that energy and build up reserves. "

Comparing older children and adults who choose not to wear alot of layers of clothes  is not comparable to a 2 day old newborn.

Many stories of children neglected or abused and people stood by and said nothing despite thinking that  odd things were happening like the  Turpin family in Ca who had 12 children .

Valued Contributor

People scare me today they have so little sense. I see neighbors out here with jackets on and kids in tee shirts. Sometimes in the 50° range. This is near the coast of Massachusetts. Gets cold here. It is tempting to say something. In the summer with a/c on in grocery stores I see little ones with hardly anything on. I don't get it.

Honored Contributor

@frenchie wrote:

People scare me today they have so little sense. I see neighbors out here with jackets on and kids in tee shirts. Sometimes in the 50° range. This is near the coast of Massachusetts. Gets cold here. It is tempting to say something. In the summer with a/c on in grocery stores I see little ones with hardly anything on. I don't get it.

@frenchie 

ITA .....  I've gotten to a point where if I see something "wrong" with how a child is being treated, I care less about hurting the adult's feeling than I do about a child's distress.  

So what if an adult is "taken aback" by a comment?  These days, we all have a lot on our minds and maybe they need to have something brought to their attention.

JMO, of course.

Respected Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@millieshops   Actually I am judging that mother..

@Junebug54  I am joining you in judging the mother...

Respected Contributor

@icezeus   God Bless that little baby. I worked in public schools

for 32 years. You would not believe some of the

sad lives that some children have. Some drag

themselves up, especially the ones who come from

families where addiction is a factor.

There are many grandmothers raising their

grandchildren.