Respected Contributor

Re: Two More College Hazing Incidents

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Every so often these hazing incidents make the news because someone dies. Then there's a big deal made about this and colleges make an effort to reform the initiation procedures and even to ban the organizations that are the worst offenders.  Then everything dies down until the next time. And there always will be a next time. These extreme hazing tactics will continue to happen as long as there are students so desperate to join a prestigious fraternity or sorority that they will do anything to be accepted. I don't know what the solution is. Common sense and the ability to say "no, I'm not doing that, take your fraternity and shove it" seem to be in short supply. 

Ya think?!!!!  How many times I said this!

Respected Contributor

Maybe if the penalty was to force them to endure what they dished out they'd think twice.......however, this law must be enforced, no first offense slack.

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Some schools have stopped the practice.  But most are still part of college life. And those incidents are the exceptions rather then the rules.  Most students have good experiences in them. 

If it's true that some schools are not like this well then they should just over look that and stop frats or sororities across the board to save lives.

If it were dogs that were being killed, believe me, it would all stop but hey, it's just.....people.....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@77yangya 

Do you think that college student rowdiness or misbehavior happens only among fraternity or sorority members?

Have you ever raised two boys thru high school and college who had active social lives while  also performing academically and making successes of themselves?.....

Maybe to illustrate more clearly, have you ever attended a major university football weekend and seen what goes on there?  Have you seen how crazy the fans of all ages, including adults and alumni act?

The "reverse hazing" incident that killed my son's frat brother was something that could have occurred to anyone.  Police said alcohol was not involved in the car crash, and it happened before the hazing prank ever was completed.  Lack of wearing a seat belt was named as the cause for the death.

Kids are kids...........good luck  to anyone else  thinking they can blame family upbringing,  fraternities or colleges for student behavior.  Peer pressure and other emotional factors come into play , such as just going along with the spirit of the crowd--or just simply outgrowing it all, which most eventually do with more age and maturity.

Keep in mind, too, that college students are over the age of 18.  Educational institutions are NOT in the business of substitute parenting or monitoring what goes on outside their campuses.

As I posted before,  we could ban  Greek social organizations all we might want, but kids will form their own groups and do just as many wild and crazy things. We adults don't  have to like it, but stopping it from happening?  I dunno about that.

Keep young people away from college and make them stay at home "to keep out of trouble"  and see how fast they become helpless, nonfunctioning adults dependent on parental rules.

LOL....come to think of it, if you've ever watched the "90-Day Fiance" series on TV,  you can see some severe parental control over adult sons or daughters who haven't been allowed to grow up enough to make their own decisions, without Mommy and Daddy.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 You’re so right about college football weekend parties. We have season football tickets to games at a major local university and the excessive drinking at tailgate parties by not only students but older adults is over the top.  

Honored Contributor

If they're over 18 they are grown adults and can face adult consequences for their actions. They are not children. Jail and community service for drinking and prison time for assault, manslaughter, and murder, and for aiding and abetting the above. And civil suits and very expensive insurance costs would be appropriate.

If you took the greek letters off the fronts of many of these houses, I think the correct term for them in any other neighborhood would be flop houses. Places where people go to drink and get high and then sleep it off. They're a blight.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

No one I know thinks it's ok for young students to die while attending college.  But those students are almost always 18 or over.  Parents, teachers, counselors try very hard to keep them safe from themselves but sadly, a few will likely not listen or believe they're immune to bad consequences and make decisions that harm or worse, kill them.

I know of a private college that eradicated all greek groups after a student leaned on a chair on a balcony and fell off.  That was about 25 years ago.  People are human and make human mistakes.  Has that made the campus safer?  I don't know.  As someone else said, young folks will create their own groups and with all the knowledge and classes warning young folks otherwise, those who are going to abuse alcohol or drugs, will do so.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Dad sometimes reminded me of the time when I was a teenager on the receiving end of a parental lecture.  Smart-alecky me replied (rather astutely, I think)  that I "needed to make my own mistakes".

I was sounding like a typical teen and my parents were sounding like typical parents. 

At one point, my own smart-alecky younger kid said he didn't need advice from a 50-something-year-old woman  The older one once said to me, "Mom, this is the 1990s".  In other words, bug off!

Lectures from dinosaurs don't resonate too well with the younger crowd.  LOL!!

Respected Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

@novamc1 You’re so right about college football weekend parties. We have season football tickets to games at a major local university and the excessive drinking at tailgate parties by not only students but older adults is over the top.  

The subject is hazing.  Not parties.  Let's try to stay on the page.  Any party can get out of hand but hazing in the colleges is a chronic problem.

Trusted Contributor

Yes everytime I read one of these stories I get very sad.  My son was in a Fraternity although we highly objected.  There was an incident at the end of his senior year that was considered hazing (the person was not seriously hurt, but it shouldn't have happened).  My honor student son almost didn't graduate because of the issue at the Fraternity.  We can try and steer our kids in the right direction but they just don't listen until it happens to them.  Their fraternity was closed at the University but he was able to graduate.