Honored Contributor

Re: Two More College Hazing Incidents

@songbird wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

What's the cost of belonging to a Frat? Curious what a student's parents pay for this privilege.

Pretty sad stories.

hckynut 

It's expensive.  Because the big houses have bedrooms, bath combo, etc.  It's like being in apartments instead of dorms.  Generally pooer studens don't belong to them. It kept me from joining, though I wanted to.  

When my son attended Penn State a few of his good friends from high school joined a fraternity while there.  I remember asking him what the cost was and though I can't remember now, I was astounded by the amount.  It was a lot!

Some of the frat houses are huge mansions so they need to be maintained, etc.  When went to vist campus my son took us down frat row which is right on campus and I was surprised at how big and grand they were.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

Doesn't the college have some control over what students do, either in a Frat House or a Dorm Room?  Somebody has to be in charge of these Frat Houses, how's about them being liable for the activities that go on in the buildings they run? 

Seems like colleges could give the boot to every Hazing incident and boot all that were involved out of the college, with NO REFUNDS!

hckynut 

@hckynutGreek housing is not on campus, at least that I know of.

@suzyQ3 At Penn State and I'm sure other campuses as well, fraternity row is right smack in the middle of a large campus.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in a sorority, at Bowling Green no less. It was not a particularly good experience for me. One would think these dumb frat guys would wise up and stop that nonsense. Universities can’t trust fraternities not to haze. Maybe they need to have some sort of supervision when hazing and pledging is going on.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

Doesn't the college have some control over what students do, either in a Frat House or a Dorm Room?  Somebody has to be in charge of these Frat Houses, how's about them being liable for the activities that go on in the buildings they run? 

Seems like colleges could give the boot to every Hazing incident and boot all that were involved out of the college, with NO REFUNDS!

hckynut 

@hckynutGreek housing is not on campus, at least that I know of.

@suzyQ3 At Penn State and I'm sure other campuses as well, fraternity row is right smack in the middle of a large campus.

@haddon9, so was the college in charge of these houses? I went to UCLA, and the houses were basically across the street. They were beautiful homes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 Good question but I really don't know the answer to that.

Respected Contributor

While some on this thread have said parents need to instill self esteem in their children so that they will not feel the need to be accepted into these fraternities at any cost I have a different take on this. How about parents raise their children to respect life and not take part in torture and murder. Because from what I read in the original post what happened to this young man was murder. Both of my daughters graduated from well respected universities. Neither one wanted any part of Greek life. And neither one needed connections with sororities to obtain employment after graduation. 

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 I agree with you about long lasting friendships from sorority and fraternity life.  

Three of my 4 brothers were in frats and all have maintained at least a few of their friendships from those days.  They may not see each other more than once a year, but their friendships remain.  They keep up with each other on fb.  One of my brothers combined his HS and college friends into a large group and the guys get together for a baseball game and to spend a weekend at the shore in MD every summer. Then some of them rent houses at the shore and their families get together during that week, too. If one of them has a health issue or suffers the loss of a loved one, they email each other and then show up as a group at the viewing/funeral to be there for support.  

They are in their 50s now and still doing this 30 years after college graduation.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

hckynut 

@hckynutI think they do in some ways (depends on the set up).  Like others have stated those fraternities on campus the schools can take away their charters.  However, what goes on off campus is hard to deal with. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

That's seriously awful.  It seems to me that colleges just don't care.  They just want their money like everyone else.  This world is built on the idea of GET but in future times we will live in the way of GIVE.  The GOOD LORD will see to it.

I remember seeing on TV different incidences of this kind of thing.  Young people being beaten and ripped to pieces.  It's just sick and inhuman.  I remember one at Loyola College.  These four girls were treated like animals and then sleep deprived, they bashed into a tree.  Some died, I think one or two lived but it was a serious accident.  The school cared nothing about it and denied everything and swept it under the carpet.  I canNOT see how anyone would join a sorority.  I know I would NOT.  I would just do my work so that I could get my trade, would not even associate with anyone, so yes, call me stuck up, then when I'm done, write my own ticket. 

WE HAVE FORGOTTEN GOD!  Expect things to just get worse unless we, as a nation get on our knees and REPENT.  Very simple, a child could understand it.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

No one is required to join a fraternity and while hazing is forbidden, students and most parents know it's still on going. 

Those members who have gone before who endured hazing themselves, are reluctant to give a pass to new comers.

Popularity has become paramount to parents and their children are well aware. Popularity and grades matter more than the honor, self-reliance, manners that were valued in the past. 

To be popular, one has to go alone with the in crowd, to get good grades for those lacking in ability means cheating.

END OF SUBJECT!!!!!!!!!  GREAT POST!!!!!!