Esteemed Contributor

Re: Two More College Hazing Incidents

@shoesnbags wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Every so often these hazing incidents make the news because someone dies. Then there's a big deal made about this and colleges make an effort to reform the initiation procedures and even to ban the organizations that are the worst offenders.  Then everything dies down until the next time. And there always will be a next time. These extreme hazing tactics will continue to happen as long as there are students so desperate to join a prestigious fraternity or sorority that they will do anything to be accepted. I don't know what the solution is. Common sense and the ability to say "no, I'm not doing that, take your fraternity and shove it" seem to be in short supply. 

I'm inclined to believe you @Buffalogal47 .  This is because it keeps happening.  How about criminal charges being levied?  Maybe this would stop it.

@gertrudecloset, I haven't researched it, but I would imagine that some incidents have led to charges.

@suzyQ3 @gertrudecloset @Buffalogal47 

I've definitely read of criminal charges in the cases where the hazing victim has died.  Here's one example:

July 17, 2019 The Advocate (Baton Rouge, LA)

"An East Baton Rouge Parish jury has convicted a former LSU student and ex-Phi Delta Theta member of negligent homicide in the 2017 alcohol-related hazing death of 18-year-old fraternity pledge Max Gruver."

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to stop other idiots from doing the same thing a year or two later.

@shoesnbagsExcellent!  I believe if this happened more often and it's highly, highly publicized it may bring this kind of practice to an end.  Then again, just do away with Fraternities and we won't have this problem at all.

Thanks @shoesnbags there's probably more where that came from too!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

It chills me to the bone, some of the brutilization that takes place. 

And for that to be someone's *life experience* as they breathe their final breath.

Seems there's a pent up anger/desire in those who are the initiators.  Frightening--to say the least.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset 

I remembered that LSU case because it happened in my own backyard, so to speak.  

When my son and his best friend went off to college (not LSU) they pledged a fraternity as freshmen.  They went along with most of the pledge process then decided near the end of the year that they "didn't need that sh*t" or some similar comment.  They didn't say what prompted their decision to quit, and we didn't ask.  

Now I their early 40s, they are both extremely successful men who definitely didn't need fraternity ties to get them where they are today.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3@shoesnbags@gertrudecloset@suzyQ3 

Yes, there have been criminal charges when there was a death, but it doesn't stop the hazings because there are young people so desperate to get accepted into a fraternity or a sorority that they will literally do anything. They want to be accepted by a particular organization for the status that they don't care about risking their own lives. There have even been suicides among students who have gone through the pledging ordeal and have been rejected by these organizations. 

As for the colleges banning them, sure, they can not sanction them as a part of college activities but they can't stop what goes on off campus. The frat or sorority can just move off campus and carry on as usual. There's really nothing that can be done to completely stop the hazings What parents should do is to instill a sense of self-confidence in their children from birth. I'm not talking about self-esteem and participation trophies, I mean basic common sense. That is in very short supply nowadays among adults as well as children. The herd mentality is very dangerous. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

What's the cost of belonging to a Frat? Curious what a student's parents pay for this privilege.

Pretty sad stories.

hckynut 

@hckynut  Believe it or not, some kids work while in college. Not all parents pay for everything. 

@proudlyfromNJ 

For sure. My youngest sister's(now deceased) all 5 kids worked their way through college, starting at age 16. 

2 of the 3 of my oldest sister's(deceased) worked their way through college. Both became school teachers, both quit teaching when parents and administrators were on the kids side of the discipline issues.

One went to law school and she became an attorney. The other worked construction and as a musician he played a few nights a week. He then joined a band that played on Cruise Ships and traveled the world for many years. He retired as a Principal of a Middle School in Idaho.

My middle sister's 2 kids worked their way through college. My nephew went to Medical School and became an Anesthesiologist. His sister went to Nursing School and became an RN.

Frat or Sorority, beats me, they never talked about it. I suspect my sister would have said something to me if any serious hazing happened to either of them.

My question was: what does it cost $$$ to belong to a Frat, whomever pays for it.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Cakers3@shoesnbags@gertrudecloset@suzyQ3 

Yes, there have been criminal charges when there was a death, but it doesn't stop the hazings because there are young people so desperate to get accepted into a fraternity or a sorority that they will literally do anything. They want to be accepted by a particular organization for the status that they don't care about risking their own lives. There have even been suicides among students who have gone through the pledging ordeal and have been rejected by these organizations. 

As for the colleges banning them, sure, they can not sanction them as a part of college activities but they can't stop what goes on off campus. The frat or sorority can just move off campus and carry on as usual. There's really nothing that can be done to completely stop the hazings What parents should do is to instill a sense of self-confidence in their children from birth. I'm not talking about self-esteem and participation trophies, I mean basic common sense. That is in very short supply nowadays among adults as well as children. The herd mentality is very dangerous. 

@Buffalogal47Yes, yes, yes! 

Respected Contributor

I was in a sorority and had a lot of fun, especially during Soph and first half Junior year.  After that I was prepping for entry into my career and I left the fun behind for the younger sisters. No regrets about that.  I maintained my membership and still went to the house when I felt like it.  

Having said that, I'm def not a risk taker.  Yes, there were some who overindulged in alcohol but that was their decision.  That was never me back then or any time after.  

I always feel awful when I read of young folks drinking to the point of death.  I do feel though, that since they are 18 or over, they're not immune when it comes to being responsible for their own behavior.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

I was in a sorority and had a lot of fun, especially during Soph and first half Junior year.  After that I was prepping for entry into my career and I left the fun behind for the younger sisters. No regrets about that.  I maintained my membership and still went to the house when I felt like it.  

Having said that, I'm def not a risk taker.  Yes, there were some who overindulged in alcohol but that was their decision.  That was never me back then or any time after.  

I always feel awful when I read of young folks drinking to the point of death.  I do feel though, that since they are 18 or over, they're not immune when it comes to being responsible for their own behavior.

@Kallithat's just it.  You don't hear about these hazing incidents coming from sororities.  Not saying they haven't happened, but it always "seems" to be fraternities.

Honored Contributor

It's easy to target this, but what about all the kids that die every year DUI?  Die from overdoses and risk taking?  

The point is teach kids to be more responsible, to think and act for their own best interest and safety.  I don't see that getting a lot better recently. 

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

@Kallithat's just it.  You don't hear about these hazing incidents coming from sororities.  Not saying they haven't happened, but it always "seems" to be fraternities.

@gertrudecloset true.  Young men seem to be risk takers more often than young women.  Not true all the time of course.  My sis was a total risk taker when she was young.  She was fearless and seldom refused a dare!  In fact, she moved clear across the country when she was 19, got a job and an apartment of her own and stayed there for 40 years.  Oh, she caused my parents no end of sleepless nights back in the day.  Smiley Wink