Respected Contributor

Two American Tourists desecrate the Colosseum

ROME (AP) — Two American tourists have been ordered to appear in court for carving their names into the Colosseum, the latest act of vandalism sustained by the ancient monument at the hands of tourists.

Carabinieri Captain Lorenzo Iacobone said Monday two tourists from California, ages 21 and 25, were picked up Saturday for carving their names eight centimeters (three inches) high into an upper level of the Colosseum. They were freed later but will face trial for aggravated damage to a monument.

Iacobone said the young women apologized for the vandalism, but he said such acts "are extremely serious, and no one considers the damage they are creating."

A Russian tourist who carved his initials into the Colosseum in November was handed a four-month suspended sentence and a fine of 20,000 euros.

Honored Contributor

Re: Two American Tourists desecrate the Colosseum

What are these idiots thinking??? 20k euros would be getting off cheap....how about a one year sentence to be completed in a Greek prison.....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Super Contributor

Don't you wonder what goes on in people's minds to justify something like this?.........some might excuse this behavior as young and dumb......but I think of it as entitlement with no respect for others.......
Honored Contributor

Exactly.....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

I heard about this the other day......pathetic behavior!

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

It makes me very angry too. They should reveal their names and throw them into a foreign cell and fine them.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/11/2015 MickD said: What are these idiots thinking??? 20k euros would be getting off cheap....how about a one year sentence to be completed in a Greek prison.....

The Colosseum is in Rome so that should be an Italian prison.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

That's just awful.......

Super Contributor

On 3/11/2015 MickD said: What are these idiots thinking??? 20k euros would be getting off cheap....how about a one year sentence to be completed in a Greek prison.....

{#emotions_dlg.confused1} The Colloseum is in Rome, Italy.

Honored Contributor

Dumb thing to do! Maybe going to a Greek prison would be more of a punishment than going to an Italian one. Better yet...maybe a prison in Uzbekistan?