Super Contributor

Re: Twilight Time (formerly Any retirees...)

Hello ladies,

Bobbisue I hope your feeling better and your antibiotics worked.

I like two thirds of America have back problems that slow me down at times but you understand if anything slowed me down any more than I usually am, I wouldn't be moving at all. That's o.k. I may be slow but I get there! I have been trying to stay away from this chair a little more this week, haven't been too successful but apparently I didn't miss anything. None of us have posted since March 1st and we're still on the first page. I guess that speaks to how these boards have slowed down in the last couple of years. I miss the days when we couldn't keep up with all the new interesting threads.

The last snow missed me again, thank you Lord. I had a little ice, the trees were beautiful but it was gone the next day. The tad of snow wasn't the equivalent of a box of powdered sugar in the entire yard, other parts of town were not as lucky and school was out for several days because of the back roads. It was in the 60's yesterday and going to be near 70 a couple of days this weekend.

I can't wait to change the clock tonight I like more light later in the day, I wish we could stay on daylight saving time all year but unfortunately I'm not in charge. It occurred to me some years ago the older I get the less I am in charge of anything!

I ran a few errands this week and went to the gas station and filled up. LOL I keep track of when I go and it was the second time since October that I have put gas in the car. LOL I'm serious, I don't exactly burn up the roads these days. Also the tank was only just below half empty, I always fill up when it's half empty. Everywhere I go is in about a 2 mile radius of the house so needless to say I don't use much gas.

Did any of you ladies buy the Technique Everyday Cast Iron pan? (K36662) I got mine in Dec. and liked it so much I wrote a review and I bought one for a friend out of state and sent it to her in Jan. Now mine is terrible, the non-stick coating is coming off of it. I called Q and of course she said I could send it back even though it was over 30 days but I'm not sure it's worth my trouble, the next one may do it too. I just wondered if any of you had bought it and had the same experience. I'm so disgusted because I used it almost every single day and loved it.

My DIL went on a business trip and ended up in ER and has found out after getting home and having some test run that she is allergic to chicken. We eat a lot of chicken so that's going to be a challenge for her because we eat very little red meat. We put chicken stock in dumplings and etc. but I'm grateful it wasn't something worse.

My DGS (the mischievous one) that's now 15 years old, was in ER last weekend until 2 AM. He was cutting a plastic bottle with a knife (I don't even want to know WHY) and it slipped and cut his leg. He's o.k. but it's something all the time with that kid but thankfully he always comes out smelling like a rose.

You may recall he is the one that put a paper towel into a lit candle on the kitchen countertop. He then put it into the paper garbage bag on the floor to get rid of it and calmly walked into his dad's office and announced that the kitchen was on fire. They had to replace the floor! I could go on and on but there isn't enough time in the day for all the tales, I'm just proud he's a survivor. We thought maybe he'd grow out of it, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

His granddaddy and I were sitting on the deck at their house one day after he had been to the pond gathering toad frogs. He extended his hand, opened it and said "Look granddaddy, this frog is asleep." That wasn't the case, he'd held him so tightly he'd killed him so we had to have a funeral that day which had not previously been on our agenda.

Daylight will be here before I know it and I need sleep. I hope you ladies have a great day.

I heard from Fallen Angel, she is doing fine.

Take care.

Occasional Contributor

Hello ladies, I didn't realize that it had been so long since I posted. Where does the time go? If it had been passed by me doing something useful, that would be a good thing but I haven't been setting any records for anything. LOL I keep telling myself that I am going to feel better when the weather gets warm and stays warm and that I will be more productive, we will see.

Lakk - You are certainly not keeping the oil companies in business. I wish that I could say that was all the fuel I had used, but as you know, to go anywhere I have to travel several miles. I am use to it, so that is just the way it is.

Glad that your DIL found out about her allergy to chicken. Wow, that is strange that she would develop an allergy after all this time. I guess that just shows you that things can happen at any time. Hope your DGS doesn't use the knives anytime soon. LOL I almost cut my thumb in half several years ago trying to cut some turkey. It still bothers me because it doesn't have really good feeling in the part that was cut. I now have a healthy respect for really sharp knives.

I do love the longer days myself. I have always thought that if DST was in the winter when it gets dark so soon, it would save heating cost because as long as the sun is out you have some solar heating. Of course, like you, I am not in charge either. LOL

Going to sign off and try to get busy. Hope everyone has a good week. Later....

Contributor

daisy emoticonMorning ladies...I haven't been here in awhile and just wanted to say hi.It's the first day of spring,so get those snow shovels out and plow a space to lie down and get a tan.bleh smiley

Regular Contributor

im baaack...Smile

i am never really gone, just can't post when i wish to.

good seeing you all here. y'all doing ok ?? Kiss

nothing much new here, dealing with mounds of dirty snow, my 'decor' stuck between winter and spring - somebody has to come in here and clean this place up! i can't hang the spring wreaths on the doors when it is so wintery, feels wrong.

laak-

wanted to mention to you- when you had posted that photo of the cool 'book tree' in your son's store at christmas time? well i had seen on tv, the holiday decor at the white house, and one room had a 'reading ' theme, and had book trees just like that ! never seen them before, guess they are the thing now.we have enough books to make a forest ! bet you do too.

hope those who were ill are better- {#emotions_dlg.huh}

but then when things are ok, i feel like i am always waiting for the other shoe to drop. not a good attitude !

[oh the 'golden girls' is on tv, and sylvia has a straw purse just like my mom used to, a million years ago- we used to play with it, seems like we played with her shoes and clothes all the time. do kids do that anymore? imagine mom's one pair of good black heels being a 'toy'.]

was trying to decorate my mantle the other day, it was so stupid, gotta laugh. i took a heavy marble thingy out of a bottom shelf in a cabinet, only to drop it on my foot. fortunately, was only the toe- and after an hour of icing it, i limped back into that room, opened the cabinet door again, and a basket fell down from the way up top shelf- completely unprovoked- and it hit me in the face, splitting my lip. back to the sofa for me, where it's safe!{#emotions_dlg.crying}

and that's my excitement...no nascar or gs cookies here...Cool

hoping you all are doing well, and can check in to say so !!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

Banker, MoonDance and Shosh, I hope your all doing well.

Banker,

I had no idea how dull all my knives were until I inherited all of mom's and you could almost cut wood with all of hers. Dad use to sharpened them all the time but I had forgotten about it. I have some real real old ones that belonged to my grandmother, she lived with mom and dad for 44 years but had them when she owned a home.

MoonDance,

I'm going to hire the guy across the street (landscaper) to do my flowerbeds and etc. this year, my DGS will probably continue to mow. I bought one of those shovels on QVC with the pointed end last year (they are great) but I forgot about my right foot, ruptured tendon, tried to use it but it hurts too much, so I am passing those chores on to the landscaper. Come back and post you've been gone too long. How are those sweet grandchildren doing? I was recently looking at pictures I have on this computer and came across Ethan, sweet precious little guy, how old is he now?

Shosh,

Well no I don't have a lot of books, I inherited about 600 of mom's and sold them on Craigslist to one guy, this was before my DS had a thought of opening a bookstore. The bookstore is still going like gang busters, I'm so happy for them. He is very creative but I must say he got the idea for the Christmas tree from seeing a similar one online. I didn't know that until later, I just thought I had a brilliant kid! LOL

That son ended up in ER last weekend, herniated disc, but what bothered him most was he couldn't open the bookstore Sunday afternoon. My DIL was out of town on business and he doesn't like my DGD to be there alone. They are closed on Monday's so he had a couple of days to take meds and get a little better until my DIL got back home.

I ran some errands this week, did a little cleaning, got a haircut, the plumber came and repaired my stopped up bathroom sink and another son came over last week and we finally got my Christmas tree to the barn. He's offered before but I kept saying "I'll get it out there when it gets warmer." My cousin has a basement she rarely uses except in a storm and she covers her tree and puts it in a spare room in the basement and only has to uncover and bring it upstairs every year. I'm not going to move but if I ever did I'd want a basement and a garage. When mom was sick and I was staying with her I really got spoiled parking in her garage.

I just finished making some potato soup for this week and I made my DGS some sausage balls, powdered sugar mints and have to buy some more garlic powder and will make him some Chex mix today he has requested. I made some of it a few weeks ago and never made it out to his house so I threw it away, but I will get this to him today or tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to leaves on the trees, pretty flowers in the deck planters and always love the crepe myrtles blooming. I have two in the front yard and the next door neighbor has a huge one that hangs over the fence into by backyard, it's darker than mine and absolutely beautiful, it usually blooms July 4th.

My oldest son (in Fla.) will be 49 Friday, how did I get this old?

Take care.

Trusted Contributor

Hello ladies....I have not been here in a while. Been sick. I hope you are all doing well and have a great day today. We're expecting snow next week, but think it will be the last one this season. Hope so.

Super Contributor

Bobbisue,

I read that you had been in ER, hope your breathing is better and your back to normal soon.

I just heard the weather girl this morning say a very slight chance Monday after midnight for us a little snow. So far I've had nothing but a dusting this year, a little ice that melted the next day. It's going to be in the 50's today, the ground is too warm so it will melt. I nearly fell out of my chair when she said yesterday she was ready for summer because we'd had a bad winter. My word!!! So many people have had it so bad this year but we sure haven't, I can imagine they would be laughing themselves to death if they had heard her comment.

The worst I remember here was the Blizzard of 1951 on Jan. 29th we were under 8 inches of ice and snow by noon but it started melting Feb. 1st and was gone the 12th. That's still minor compared to what other people are going through this year.

I hope the snow misses you and take care of yourself and get well soon.

Contributor

MoonDance,

I'm going to hire the guy across the street (landscaper) to do my flowerbeds and etc. this year, my DGS will probably continue to mow. I bought one of those shovels on QVC with the pointed end last year (they are great) but I forgot about my right foot, ruptured tendon, tried to use it but it hurts too much, so I am passing those chores on to the landscaper. Come back and post you've been gone too long. How are those sweet grandchildren doing? I was recently looking at pictures I have on this computer and came across Ethan, sweet precious little guy, how old is he now?

Lakk...Ethan will be 7,on May 4th..he's getting so tall.His daddy is 6'3 and a half,so I figure he will follow in his daddy's footsteps.

Alyssa,Ethan's sister,is 3...she'll be 4 in November.She was born a week after my brother died,Nov.2nd.

She's my baby the same way Ethan was.All she does on the weekend is she wants to come to my house.I have her on Thursdays & Fridays.

Her other grandma passed in 2009 and she now has a step-grandma,but she tells everyone that I am her best friend.She is gorgeous,with ginger hair almost to her waist.

I'll have Ethan on Wednesday & Thusday,this week cause he's out for spring break.He's jealous that Alyssa gets to spend time with me and he doesn't.School has cut our quality time a lot.

Hope you and all the ladies here,are having a great weekend...WHERE'S SPRING???

It's 19 stinkin' degrees,as I write this!!!!!

Super Contributor

MoonDance,

I got the picture, Alyssa is beautiful, gorgeous hair, those big eyes and perfect little angelic face, oh my goodness! She and Ethan both are beautiful children.

I remember your brother and your devotion to him, the endless hours you spent on the phone with him, the times you flew down to the hospital just to be by his side for a while. You were a good sister, don't ever forget that, he knew it too and he knew you did everything humanly possible for him but it doesn't seem like 3 yrs. ago. My brother passed away in 2004 and I'm stunned when I think how long it's been. We'll always miss them but the comfort is knowing that neither of them are hurting anymore.

On a lighter note....My oldest DGS is in college about an hour from here(seems like yesterday he was Ethan's age) he came over yesterday and is coming back soon for me to teach him how to cook several things he wants to cook for his girlfriend.

He had another girlfriend for almost 3 yrs. that did nothing but put him down with every breath. She could have won an award for Miss Negativity, hands down! My DIL and I had been praying they wouldn't get married, well it ended, answered prayers are wonderful!

This new girlfriend sounds sweet, I haven't met her yet, she lives in his neighborhood but goes to college in Fla. so he goes down to see her and it seems to be getting serious quickly. My DGS nor the girlfriend want for anything and he said today "you'll never guess what she gave me for my birthday." My heart was sinking , I was seeing $$$$ signs thinking she had tried to impress him with something elaborate. He said "she gave me a box with a stack of letters in it each tied with a bow that she has written to me everyday since she's been away at college with instructions to only read one per day until the day I go back down to see her next week." How sweet and thoughtful, my kind of girl, I like her already!!! I think he's in good hands now. LOL

Hang on MoonDance sunshine is on the way. We're going to have some cooler days too until Thursday a high in the 60's.

UK won last night, fabulous however you have to feel sorry for the Wichita kids and that previously unbeaten record.

Take care.

Contributor

Thank you,Lakk...she looks a lot like me when I was her age,except the reddish hair.Hopefully she'll take on her momma's looks as she gets older.

It seems like yesterday that I talked to my brother.We were each others psychiatrist,we could talk about anything and cheer each other,up.

We made each other laugh all the time,until the tinnitus took over.I know he's in a bettet place and he's with our mom & younger brother.

Don't cha just love it when someone you love wisens up and gets their life together with a new & better love interest?Did you and your DIL do a happy dance?

happy dance animated gif photo: NPH and Elmo dance happy GIF_003.gif

It's good for our young men to learn to cook...later in life,when their wives are sick in bed,they need to feed the kids.Teach him some good stuff.

Have a great week...Happy Monday, animated photo: Happy Monday Kitty animated very funny HappyMondayKitty.gif