Frequent Contributor

Re: Twilight Time (formerly Any retirees...)

Hello! Sorry for going AWOL for such a long time. Like prisrob said she had, I decided to take an internet break. The reasons are long so I won't bother you with the details! I can say that I feel a bit more chatty lately and I think the nice weather we have been having has something to do with it. I almost feel like I shouldn't admit that given the perpetual winter most everyone seems to be stuck in! Today I am still in recovery mode from a sinus and ear infection but life is pretty good. My husband just came home with 4 boxes of Girl Scout cookies so what do I have to complain about, ha ha!

I have enjoyed reading through the posts from when I last was here and hope everyone is in a good place today. I wish I had the ability to send you all some warmer temps, though. It has been so long since I was in weather that cold for so long it is hard for me to imagine.

Lakk, how neat that would be if you ever did find those jewelry pieces you gave away! I have a very difficult time getting rid of things and when I do, often second guess myself. My Mother still has a necklace from a high school sweetheart. He must have meant a lot to her to have kept it all of these years. The guy went on to become a famous musician so it has that in addition to the sentimental value. The only jewelry I ever received from a boy in high school was a ring that I gave to my daughter a few years ago. I haven't seen her wear it recently so I should ask her where it is.

Ury, you asked about travel plans for the year but I have none made to share. I wish I did! I would really like to get out to Tennessee and see my Dad, sister and grandma. If I do, I hope to take a little road trip up Lakks' way! I wasn't able to when I was there the last time I was there but I really hope I can the next.

I promise I won't be a stranger in the future. I may not post all that much but I can't imagine staying away as long as I did again. Have a good day , everyone!

Super Contributor

Gigi,

It doesn't look like my errands are going to happen today as long as I sit here but it's good to see you. You have been missed. Sorry your having problems maybe you'll soon be on the mend.

I have Girl Scout cookies on the way, they tell me mine will be in March 1st. different troops get them at different times. I went to the store the other day and they were selling them out front but I didn't buy any knowing I had some Thin Mints ordered from the little girl next door. It wasn't easy walking away from them either! You know me and chocolate!

Naturally you know I'm sitting here weeping for you and that weather your having, NOT! LOL Like my Fla. son, he's been talking about maybe moving a little further north Ala. or Ga. but I don't think he could ever get use to winters again, he's been in Fla. since 1992 and nearly freezes when they come here at Christmas.

I wish I had kept the jewelry like your mother but I didn't. Long story I don't wish to get into and I probably would never wear it if I had it. It was Trifari blue arouborialis (spelling is probably wrong) and today it would be gaudy but I'd just like to have it back.

My dad made a 10-12 foot wrought iron trellis that was in the back yard for decades then he gave it away to a friend who has since passed away. I'm still trying to locate it, his wife says she knows nothing about it. She's elderly and has some health issues and I feel like she just doesn't remember it. I'd pay big bucks to have it back. I have a picture of it I have been thinking about putting it in the newspaper and see if someone knows where it is, I loved it and want it because dad made it.

If you ever get to Tennessee holler at me.

Take care.

Occasional Contributor

Lakk - Yep, our warmer weather is coming to a halt for awhile. We have flurries in the forecast here also, but not supposed to be a problem. Where have I heard that before? Thank goodness my doctors appointment is today, so I don't have to get out tomorrow if the forecast is missed. Have I said how ready I am for those April showers, and May flowers and the rest to come? I'm sure I have because all I do it gripe about the weather. LOL Just like an old grumpy bear.

Yes, it was a race with a lot of crashes, but I don't like that part of it. I like the side by side, pushing from the back kind of racing. I guess I'm weird, but the sound at the races is the part I like best. I guess I will have a hearing aid before long. I have heard about the Nashville Race Track. I think (?) maybe in the old days, Nascar might have run some races there, not sure. Or maybe it was one of the other divisions, but I have heard some of the older drivers talk about Nashville.

I sure hope that you can find that trellis. Maybe you could put it on craigslist, just a thought. It might be in someone's backyard collecting rust. And I do hope someday that you can find the jewelry that you gave away. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Cater - Good to hear from you and wishing us all some much better weather in the coming days. Good luck with your cleaning out, maybe some of that will rub off on me.

Gigi - Hope your sinus problems are gone, I had that awhile back and it makes you feel really bad. Girl scout cookies, yummy, that should be some good medicine. And I will take a big order of that weather. I know that CA has been in a drought, so I'm hoping that you guys do get some rain to go with the warm. Glad to see you back. Hopefully one day you can travel on down to see Ms. Lakk, because one day I am going to go see her.

I need to get off here and start getting ready to go for my appt. Hope you gals have a good day and be safe. Bye.

Super Contributor

Hi Banker,

I hope your appointment went well and you don't have to get out in the cold tomorrow. The flurries have missed me once again tonight, thank heavens.

About the race track, we had a good one here for decades, called the Fairgrounds Speedway. A lot of good drivers way back then like the Alabama Gang (Hueytown Ala. ) Bobbie and Donnie Allison and Red Farmer, then there was Coo Coo Marlin, Sterling Marlin, Mike Alexander, Bill Elliott, Bobby Hamilton and Dale Earnhardt. It was a big business here for years and know I'm forgetting some other names.

I went to the store last night and put off some other errands again, my norm, maybe tomorrow. There's just no place like home sweet warm home. It's suppose to be a low of 18 tonight, I may have to light up the fireplace.

Ury,

That Phoenix trip is getting closer, April will be here before you know it, let us know about the new grandson when he arrive. What is the estimated date in March?

Ury, Shosh, Bobbisue, prisrob, MoonDance, Cater and anyone else I am forgetting, check in and let us know how your doing.

Fallen Angel I hope your doing o.k., you are missed.

I've been listening to the morning news and there's not much good, all about shootings, wrecks, death and robberies and somebody else is offended. (sigh) It's bad and how grateful I am that I grew up in a more peaceful time when everybody didn't settle petty things with a bullet. Also when your home didn't have to be secured like Fort Knox and you were free to say what you pleased (you remember when we use to have freedom of speech?) and nobody wanted to crucify you for your opinion. Today everyone is offended, give me a break, we grew up to brush it off and move on. I'm getting wound up, guess I better get off here, it's well past my bedtime.

Have a lovely day.

Trusted Contributor

Hello ladies....We had 50 a few days ago and now it's back to 8 here right now. Will spring ever come?

I have a Dr. appointment tomorrow and I hope the roads are clear.

I am a retired nurse and I am going to be looking for a job about two days a week to bring in extra money. My drug bill is so high and the Dr. can't find a generic that works for me for my eyes and breathing. My age, 66, may be a problem getting a job. We'll see.

Have a nice day and God bless.

Super Contributor

Bobbisue,

Bless your heart, I was just talking to someone the other day about my entire 2013 cost for med's was only 91.81. I take so little I don't have that problem but know a lot of people that it's almost between buying the med's or groceries. I'm fortunate in so many ways I should never complain about anything.

About looking for a job, maybe you could sit with an elderly person, I would have loved to have a nurse sit in the home with my family members.

I'm sure you know you could sit with someone in the hospital. Mom had 5 brain surgeries, with the last two I had sitters a lot at night so I could come home. I could have never afforded it because it was VERY expensive but Mom had a fabulous insurance policy that paid her, I think it was 85.00 per day, while in the hospital. So with all the previous surgeries that money was saved by me staying with her, therefore I could afford to use it later. The only thing about this is all my sitters were nurses that worked at the hospital and they did it to make extra money, so those jobs may be difficult to find unless you can get the word out that your in this business. But I know it sure paid well back then.

Perhaps you can find some work you could do from home. Good Luck.

Take care of yourself.

Super Contributor

Hello ladies,

I hope everybody had a good day and I hope the weather is kind to you this weekend.

I just finished making some things for my grandson, he requested some Chex mix and powdered sugar mints, I'll make some sausage balls tomorrow and take it all to him. That should keep him happy for a while.

My Ky. cousin and her DH came to town today for the Garden Show but I didn't get to see them, it was a fast trip as they had to get back home. She loves to come here every year for this event as she's a avid gardener. There is a lot of walking involved and I just can't attend, we're just a year apart but her legs are in much better shape than mine. Her DH is a keeper, that man would walk to New Orleans for that woman. Reminds me of Fats Domino's Walking to New Orleans.

Well I had to stop and listen to that on You Tube. Those were the days Fat's Domino, Chubby Checker, Sam Cooke, Percy Sledge, Thurston Harris, the Ink Spots and Mills Bros. and of course The Platters. I could listen to this music until the end of time, the kids today have no idea what they missed.

Nothing much going on here today. When I woke up the Avon lady had been by and left my order on the porch. I like to stock up on the couple of things when they are on sale, the problem is finding a place to put them. The bathroom closet and every drawer is full so I spend a lot of time rearranging.

She also brought me an Avon calendar I love their calendars. My whole life for the last 30 years is on an Avon calendar, I keep them and look up things all the time. Mom was a journal person, I've started a few but just couldn't get into that every day. Of course she recorded the good and the bad and when she passed away I had a big box full of her journals. I tried to read a few and decided against it as life was not always good for her, my son wanted them so I gave them all to him. Do any of you ladies keep a detailed journal?

I'm going to get off here and watch the 4 AM morning news and hit the hay. I hope the sun shines at your house today.

Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope everyone is doing well. Lakk, thank you for remembering our new grandson. He came a month early, and all is well. My husband had a business trip planned to PHX and was going to visit the family before the birth. They live just outside of Phoenix. As it turned out, he gets to see the little fella a week after he was born. Just in time for our daughter's birthday. I'll go ahead and visit later in March, as planned.

Stay warm, good people. We have another storm system coming in Saturday night / Sunday morning. Well, the flowers will be lovely in spring with all the snow.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

Oh Ury I'm so glad that little boy has arrived and all is well. How nice that your husband could see him and tell you how beautiful he must be. I am always amazed at their tiny little fingers and toes. Now when you go see him he will be settled in to his routine and you will be able to hold him and spoil him to your hearts content. Did they name him Brixen as planned and does he have any brothers or sisters? Enjoy him, as you know they grow up so fast and the older I get it seems the faster they grow up.

My youngest son has a girl that's 17 but he and my daughter-in-law have been telling me for years they are going to have a baby. I'm still waiting, I just hope I live long enough to see it happen. They are the ones that own the bookstore and I'm afraid their commitment to the store will keep them from having a baby but I don't mention it. I just let all my kids live their lives without my suggestions. So far it's worked perfectly, this way they can't tell any mother-in-law horror stories about me. LOL

Ury I don't know how you feel about this but if your comfortable with posting a picture when you get back from your visit, we'd love to see that little boy. If your not no problem. Thanks for the happy news of his arrival.

Have a good day.

Trusted Contributor

Ury, I hope you get to hold that precious grand child in your arms soon. Congrats.

We are expecting another big snow tomorrow. That is ok. I'll make chili and cornbread. I heard on the news we are to have a very hot summer. I'll take it and I won't complain.

I have been sick and went to the Dr. yesterday. Flu I think. She put me on an antibiotic.

Happy March to everyone here and may the sun shine.