Super Contributor

Re: Twilight Time (formerly Any retirees...)

Bobbisue ,

Good to see you, bless your heart hang in there this mess will be just a bad memory before long and you can get out of the house. I never recall in all my years this many threats of snow where I live although none of it has been sticking here. All the dramatic changes in temps daily has been unreal. It can be barely in the 20's one day and then near 50 the next. I've never seen this many back to back snowy systems coming across the country before either. We've been very fortunate in my neck of the wood nothing has been on the ground for more than a few hours and it's melted. Stay warm, April showers and May flowers will be here soon.

prisrob,

Good to see you too, long time no see. Violet, Oliver and Sabine sound like they are all doing well. Oliver would have a big time at my son's bookstore it's like no other, it's fabulous.

Something else about this weather, I could not believe when I saw the news the other night and saw the traffic backed up in Raleigh NC after they had warning after warning not to get on the roads. After the very same mess happened in Atlanta a week or so ago, what on earth were they thinking! I think the authorities should refuse to risk their lives going after these people that won't stay off the roads. I noticed how Atlanta heeded the warning this time and hardly any cars were on their roads. I know there are emergencies when some people need to get out but not miles and miles and miles of backed up traffic, that just being stupid.

My friend in S Carolina whose tree fell on her house because of the ice, she lost power for 11 hours (mild compared to some people) but she went out on the breezeway to get wood for her fireplace and fell last night, she's ok. Hit right on her tailbone so that's painful and there isn't any 'fix' for that except time. I did that years ago and it's caused a lot of problems to this day. But she didn't break any bones for that we can be grateful.

Today started off with plumbing problems but I will deal with it until things let up for my plumber. I'm sure they have their hands full with busted pipes and etc. my problems are minor so it can wait. Then I got word from a friend (Florist) that I ordered some funeral flowers from and mailed her a check the last week of January, the check never arrive so I had to call the bank and stop payment on it and write another one. The bank waived the 30.00 fee so that was good. I'm hoping it's just lost at the post office and wasn't taken out of my mailbox.

I think I hear the dryer calling my name, I'm going to fold the clothes then get my orange sherbet and ginger ale and hit the hay.

Ladies stay in when possible, stay safe and check in more often. Wishing you a good weekend.

Keep Banker in your prayers, there was a death on her DH's side of the family, a nephew, then another nephew is in the hospital.

Take care.

Occasional Contributor

Good morning to everyone. Wishing that everyone is getting out of the deep freeze. We have had a really bad winter (for us) and I am so ready for it to come to a screeching halt. Monday evening we had sleet/ice and most of that melted Tuesday, but some still lingered, then starting Wednesday afternoon about 4:00, it started snowing and I think those were the biggest snowflakes I have ever seen. In about an hour the ground was mostly covered and it was still snowing. Long and short, we ended with about 5 inches of snow. Thank goodness most melted on Thursday and then the rest yesterday. I hope that this is the last of the really cold, but have a feeling that it's not ready to move on just yet. We are supposed to have some 70's next week so I am just thrilled about that. LOL

Lakk - I just read over briefly what everyone said, but I am glad that most of the bad stuff has not came your way. Sorry to hear about your friend falling and hope that she can get better soon. I am always afraid of falling myself when I am out with the dogs. I try to be careful, but sometimes you fall before you know what happens. Hope you can get your plumbing problem fixed, that always a hassle. Thank you for the thoughts about the nephew's. I'm glad to say that the one that was in the hospital is back home after finding out that he had 7 blockages in his heart. They put in 2 stents and will try to reduce the others with meds. He is very lucky that he didn't have a heart attack. The other one that passed away, I'm sorry to say had a bad drug and alcohol problem for years and the combo took a toll on him. We tried to help him several times, but he would always decline our help. His Mom passed away when he was 7, so I think that was a factor with the way his life went so bad. We were told he made his peace with God, so for that I am thankful. We also watched the Beatles tribute, I loved it, brought back a lot of memories.

Ury - So sorry for being so long in answering your travel question. As Ms. Lakk said, we don't get to go anywhere but to FL and couldn't do that until we brought out little place down there. As a matter of fact, I am just happy as can be to go down there and right now can't think of many other places that I would want to go. Sounds like you have some great trips planned, and I hope that you thoroughly enjoy them.

Bobbisue - So sorry that you are having such bad weather. Hopefully we are all in for some better weather very soon. I'm glad that you got out to get your supplies so that you wouldn't be worried about running out of things with the weather so bad. Praying that your COPD gets better in the days to come.

Pris - As always you have good stories about your grands. Sounds like they are growing up fast and that you are enjoying them to the fullest. It's great that you have the gadgets to be able to not only talk, but to see them, that just blows my mind what technology has today. Even sometimes, it's a little scary knowing what can be done. Big Brother??? Hope your weather gets better also. I have been looking for bathing suits LOL. I am so ready for warm.

Take care everyone and be warm. I have to go to the store today. I haven't ventured out since last Sunday, so I am out of quite a few things. If I were a betting person, I will say that the stores will be crowded because other people haven't been able to get out either. Ugh, it will be like Christmas with the long lines. Oh well, it's not a matter of life and death. Have a great weekend.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you Banker for your kind words. Yes, my supplies are in and I don't need a thing except for chicken broth which I forgot. Wanted to make chicken soup, but that will have to wait. It is 25 here and the snow has melted. It is sunny here today. It is to warm up next week in the high 40's or 50. I can handle that. I have had a bad case of cabin fever. I plan to get out to church tomorrow if the weather holds up.

My COPD is getting better. The very bitter cold effects it badly. I am breathing well today.

I think I will put on a pot of tea and watch some QVC. It is all day garden shows today. A bit much for my taste.

I wonder what the summer will be like since we had such a brutal winter. It could be very hot, but you won't hear me complain. I have AC and I will be glad for the hot weather. I heard on the news that our weather and climate is changing before our eyes. Survival of the fittest.

Everyone have a good day today and enjoy yourself. Bye for now.

Super Contributor

Good to see you ladies, Banker glad things have settled down a little and Bobbisue glad your COPD is better. Glad you both checked in I can't stay around tonight but will post tomorrow. I went to the store today and the 53 degrees felt mighty good. Take care.

Regular Contributor

have to make a quicker post, before i fall asleep...{#emotions_dlg.blink}

been reading everyday, wish i could comment on specifics, but there is so much i mixed it all up already. i know some condolences are in order.Kiss

been snowed in here in nj for sometime now, more snow today- no good end in sight yet.

had my toddler grandson over, the first time in a year- i was nervous, but he didn't try to touch 1 thing he shouldn't, i don't know why! [and there was plenty of that breakable/dangerous stuff here, inc christmas trees etc].

i have 2 steiff bears on a chair, he suddenly leaned in and kissed them, i don't know why ! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

hope you are all well as can be...behave ! {#emotions_dlg.sleep}

Contributor

Snow snow snow....and my house is closing in on me!

Super Contributor

Hello Ladies,

It's good to see Shosh and MoonDance among us again.

Shosh I know you enjoyed that little toddler. I can tell you why he didn't bother anything, good parenting, they are very enjoyable to be around when they are taught to mind. I hope you get some relief from all the snow soon and it will just be a bad memory.

MoonDance I think downsizing is good sometimes but this picture is carrying it a little too far. LOL How have you been and how are those little ones? I remember Ethan when he was so small and adorable. I think you sent me a picture of his first hair cut. He's going to be forced to carry a stick around to keep the girls away one day.

Gigi we haven't heard from you since Christmas Eve hope your doing o.k. and your medical issues have at the least become manageable.

Fallen Angel we do miss you, check in and let use know how your doing. Did you ever get up north to visit your sister? I have a vision of you by this time being so organized and the house just like you want it that you will put us all to shame.

UK had another great game last night, I still cannot believe I am looking forward to anything related to sports. My mother and my MIL were never interested in sports until their later years mom started watching baseball and the World Series and etc., and my MIL became interested in golf.

I've more than likely mentioned this before but I've had the Clarks Lexi Marigold sandals (A 212296) in metallic and the navy ones for a couple of years now. I ordered the teal the other day, they just arrived today and they are gorgeous. If you've never worn them, do yourself a favor and buy some. You don't even realize you have them on, so light, the fit is great and you cannot wear out Clark shoes, you may just get tired of them but you can't wear them out.

I have done so little for so long I must get back in the swing of things. It's 65 here today so I have no complaints or excuses. I've had the windows up today, so nice. I'm on the way the run a few errands and will check in later.

I am ordering up some sunshine for all of you who still have snow on the ground. Take care and stay well.

Occasional Contributor

Morning ladies, hope this finds everyone doing great. After having the ice and snow last week, we are enjoying some warmer temps. We had some storms roll through last night with lots of rain, high winds, thunder, and lightning. Our power blinked off about 3 times but came right back on, and after the storms were over we thought that we were going to get lucky and not lose power. Well wrong, the power went off at 12:45am and didn't come back on until 6:45 this morning. This was after all of the storms had left my entire county, go figure. So my sleep was not great and I feel like a truck has run over me. Of course, this will pass.

Lakk - Hope you are enjoying the warmer weather also and got your errands done. I am glad that you have found out that you like sports, or at least basketball. You know that I love football and Nascar. I have a pair of those Clarks you mentioned. They are very light and feel good, but if you remember I ordered a pair of wide and didn't the wide, so they are too big. I need to sell or give them to someone and get me another pair that fit. Those turquoise are beautiful, and I like the red. I will have to see if I can manage to get another pair.

Bobbisue - Hope your weather is improving and that you can get out and cure your cabin fever. Thank you for your kind words, you are so kind to so many on this forum. I'm still hoping that your COPD is getting better and better. Take care.

Shosh - Good to see that you dropped in. Sounds like the grandson is a cutie. I know that you enjoy him and was really glad he didn't bother your stuff. Drop in again soon.

Hope to see Gigi and Fallen Angel post soon, we miss you.

Well, nothing exciting happening here. We did have 5 deer in our backyard this morning. There was a baby and she was nursing her mom, so sweet. I just don't know how people can shoot something that beautiful. I know lots of people disagree with me, but I still have my opinion. LOL All have a good weekend, and a blessed day.

Respected Contributor

Lakk, just checking in to see if your doing alright have not seen you on here in the last few days. it is only 13 degrees up here today so I am staying in and going to try and do some tossing out of things that I will probably want back after they are out of here.

Super Contributor

Banker,

Yes we're both glad the weather has improved. I hope you can get those Clarks, I just love mine. I like the red too but have a couple of red in slides and etc. so I don't need anymore red...at the moment, unless you've just talked me into it. LOL Shame on you!

I'm not a fan of football but more power to ya if you can enjoy something. About Nascar, I saw on the news they had a 'good' one this weekend, was it in Daytona? The kind people like with a lot of crash 'em up bang 'em ups in it. My youngest daughter-in-law watches all the races (and football) but if a race is on do not disturb her or you shall regret it. LOL Just joking she's a sweetheart, I sure am blessed to have some lovely sweet girls that married my boys.

I remember back in the '60's we went to a few races here with some friends. We had a great track here but the noise was so loud that the ear plugs didn't seem to help that much, I just couldn't stand it. I'm not much on attending in person anything that's loud, I went to a Garth Brooks concert with my son one time and thought I'd die with all the screaming teens, you couldn't even hear the music.

Cater,

We've been missing you around here too, come back and post more often. I'm fine, I just sit here in this chair some days for 8-10 hours (or more) and then my back starts bothering me so I try to stay away for a while. Hey maybe I need to buy a new chair, but I'll bet money it won't prevent spreading thighs either. Somebody needs to invent an expandable chair, there's an idea for Lori Grenier.

I give you permission to keep that 13 degrees up there it's 44 here today not bad at all. We did have a couple of 70's last week, very much welcomed, taking a slight dip this week , even a chance for flurries tomorrow night, but it beats all the ice and snow so many people are having.

I'm the same way about giving stuff to Goodwill and later wishing I hadn't, I still have a ton of flannel sheets that are like brand knew in space bags in the den/storage room trying to make up my mind to give them away. I changed to Malden Mills Fleece sheets and will never use any other kind again, the are fabulous. Somebody could be getting use of the flannel if I'd just let go of them.

I gave away (Goodwill) a necklace and earrings set and another pair of earrings one time I shall forever regret. The set an old boyfriend gave me in 1957 for my birthday and years and years after I married I got rid of his pictures and that set and I've looked for them for years and especially now that he is no longer with us I sure wish I had them back. I still have a rhinestone pin he gave me and my Jr. High yearbook picture of me wearing it on a scarf but I still look on a lot of sites and shop around antique stores hoping one day I'll find that set. Silly but true, I know memories last longer than things so I shall try to find comfort in that, I just wish I could make myself forget about them.

Well enough of this, I need to be running some errands before the flurries arrive tomorrow. Take care ladies and I hope you have a lovely week. Don't forget March winds are almost here, then April showers and May flowers and a lot of sunshine! I can hardly wait to look out the kitchen window at the red, green and yellow leaves on the trees and all the pretty flowers growing in the deck planters.

Until then.