Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Twilight Time (formerly Any retirees...)

Hi Lakk...I just saw this...

"Russell Stover and I parted ways when I became acquainted with Harry London last year, Harry paid a visit this year too. LOL Last year I bought the 5 beautiful tins, this year the one big tin with 6lbs. assorted candy. Fortunately my DGS took some home Christmas Eve and is going to get 99% of what's left, my thighs and I have had enough for one year."

I live within a half hour from this factory.I took my oldest granddaughters there,in '05.We took the tour and bought about $60.00 worth of candy...OMG...the best candy,EVER!

Super Contributor

Banker,

I sure hope you can avoid taking DH to the doctor today in this cold, neither of you need to be in it.

Yes I'm stocked up, I could stay here for weeks and not starve. It rained today and of course it's now ice, metro had sprayed the roads and it all washed off. Later we got a little snow enough to cover the ground but I can still see some grass and definitely more snow on the deck where it blows off the roof. I have no plans to venture out now even to the mailbox (if they run today) as the high today is suppose to be 7.

Moondance,

Very nice that you could tour the plant. I totally agree about Harry London candy, Russell has definitely taken a back seat. My only problem with Harry is he refuses to leave my kitchen table and somebody around here is gaining weight and it AIN'T Harry! As soon as the weather improves I'm calling my DGS and have him remove Harry from this house. I wouldn't want to be responsible for Harry's demise and it would be shameful if I put him out in the cold so he shall reside on the table until the weather breaks.

Ladies,

I want to thank all of you for the last 5 years of prayers for my school friend Jim who went through so many strokes, lung cancer and chemo many times. He hoped to go to Mardi Gras last year but Chemo prevented that trip. He drove himself an hour one way there and back to every Chemo visit, never asking or wanting help. He called Saturday before Christmas and said the doctor gave him a double dose that week and he and his daughter were driving to the festivities in New Orleans the day after Christmas and returning Jan. 3rd. He passed away the night before they were to come home. His other daughter called me this morning and said he had been out to eat and had been singing with his daughter and they had a beautiful week together. He left this world doing exactly what he wanted to do, and he certainly did it HIS WAY. Thanks again for your many prayers.

Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend,Jim,Lakk...it sounds like he lived his life fully,to the end.May God bless & keep his family strong and wrap them in his loving arms.

May Jim rest in peace...

Regular Contributor

So sorry to hear of your friend's death. Sounds like he had a good last weekend. We had 8 in of snow this past week, temps down to -23, up to 40 today with rain. So, now there is flooding on some streets. Cold air expected back this afternoon, it will likely freeze on the roads. This has been an old fashioned winter, and it is only Jan 6. I go out as often as possible, but do have enough food stocked up for awhile. Good to hear from everyone, sounds like cold air is everywhere. My family in the Northwest have had good weather. May be the only place in the US. Have never tried The London chocolate, think I will stay away from it, it sounds addicting. Take care everyone.
Super Contributor

Thanks MoonDance and Prisrob he was truly a good man. He was the son of a preacher man. (as the old song goes) A musician and a retired Fireman and in the 63 years I knew him I never recall seeing him that he didn't have a smile on his face, always concerned about everyone else and putting himself last. Already in bad health when we had the big flood here in 2010 he got out and helped people clean out and rebuild their homes, tirelessly gathering and taking them donations of food and clothing. I remember him cutting down trees clearing the land and planting flowers at his daughters new home because she had to work. I keep waiting on the phone to ring for him to tell me about his wonderful trip to New Orleans. Hopefully time will heal this hole in my soul. He is missed.

I hope the weather is improving for all of you, it's suppose to be in or near 50 here the rest of the week and I welcome it. Take care.

Super Contributor

Ladies,

I've made a couple of purchases lately I can recommend.

(A238334) Denim and Co. Active Long sleeve sweater Fleece Sweatshirt I got the grey and love it. It's a new fabric that looks like a knit sweater just as they say and the inside is so soft. You can put a scarf on with it and nobody would know it's a sweatshirt. True to size and soft, I'm going back for more when they get the colors back in stock.

(A237300) Denim and Co. Active Knit long sleeve shawl collar tunic I got it because it had pockets and I love it too, I have black, red and grey.

And the best for last, OH my goodness (A237719) Stan Herman Medallion Plush Bed Jacket with pockets. It arrived yesterday, I got the lavender, it's a real light hint of lavender but it's SO soft and true to size etc. I like cozy and I don't think I've ever had to return anything from Stan H.

Enough of this I did write reviews but wanted to tell you ladies about these things.

I think my next door neighbor has finally sold their house and moved, it's been on the market since last March. I'm not sure, but there is real Christmas tree in MY ditch and there is a big garment bag thing on rollers, the kind you can zip up and hang clothes in sitting on their sidewalk! The house looks dark and vacant from here so I assume I have inherited their Christmas tree. Where do people get the idea they can throw things on other people's property? Metro won't pick the trees up if they are too big at the base so I plan to go deposit it back in their ditch today, I'm not paying to have it removed. I didn't see them put it there but it doesn't take a genius...they are gone and I suddenly have a tree in my ditch.

I now have to get some of their trees cut down that are on my roof and hanging on my deck, I ask politely earlier this year if they would get them cut back and of course they didn't. There is a guy (landscaper) across the street that will do it. Heaven only knows who will move in there, your sure to hear to about it. LOL

Ok I'm through complaining. Have a nice day.

Occasional Contributor

Hi ladies. Sorry to be gone so long but I have been under the weather and just haven't been on the computer much. I briefly read over the posts and seems like most everyone has been cold, cold. Thank goodness it has warmed up here but supposed to drop next week but nothing like this week. DH didn't get to go to the doctor on Monday, not because of the weather but due to the fact that we had issues with the old bus and the new van that we bought. I will tell that story another time when I have more time.

Lakk - I am so sorry about Jim. He sounds like a truly amazing man that thought of others before himself. I know what you mean about a hole in your sole, I feel the same way after losing my friend. You are right, you find yourself waiting for a call or an email, and then you remember. I know that you have some good memories of him and I hope that your sadness in time will lessen. I hope that your new neighbors are good ones, not like the ones across the street. Yikes.

Hi MoonDance and Pris, hope you girls are doing fine. Hello to the other ladies that read and drop by here sometimes, wishing you a good day.

I have to run. We have someone coming to put new logs and a thermostat on our fireplace so that I can light it easier and it will go on and off by itself. I am tired of having to get down every time we want it lit. Wishing all here a good weekend. I will try to get back sooner. Later....

Super Contributor

Hi Banker,

I hope your feeling better by now and also that the people arrived to attend to the fireplace. I hope you will have better weather before you have to take DH to the doctor.

It was 57 here yesterday and only going to be in the 30's today, I don't know why we don't all have pneumonia.

I certainly hope this first half of January doesn't set the pace of what I am going to do the rest of the year, which was absolutely nothing. I need to get my rear in gear and get some things done around here.

I watched the news this morning and was reminded of Anne Murray's old song "A Little Good News", wishing we could hear more good news instead of all the shootings, robberies and violence. I know the stories are out there they just rarely makes the news. It would be nice if someone had of station of only good news, but I'll not hold my breath waiting on it. Well I guess I have some good news, the new neighbors I think is a couple about my kids age so at least they don't seem to be the element that I have across the street.

I hope you ladies have a good day and I plan to accomplish something today little as it might be. Take care.

Occasional Contributor

Hello ladies. I thought I would drop in and say hello. I am finally beginning to feel like myself after having the upper respiratory infection and bronchitis. I just couldn't seem to get my energy back, not that I could run a marathon before. LOL Then DH had to make a trip to the Urgent Care with a severe case of UTI. Boy, it just never seems to stop around here. I am looking forward to warm weather as to me cold weather makes us sick.

Lakk - I think you and I are both going to have some more cold weather. At least we aren't having snow and ice like some folks. I know what you mean about all the bad news, it's so depressing. Like you I know that there are feel good stories out there, but they never seem to get reported. I guess stories like that just don't appeal to some, just the bad and bizarre. I hope that your new neighbors will be someone that you like and can get along with. It's always nice to have neighbors that you could turn to if needed.

Everybody take care and have a good day. Nothing going on here, hope your day is more exciting than mine.

Super Contributor

Banker

Good to see your feeling better I didn't realize you had been that sick, glad your doing better. Yep, the weather is so up and down here and everywhere else, I guess it's better than below freezing all the time.

I just watched the best College Basketball game ever, I loved it and the final score. I won't go into it for fear of spoiling it for someone else. Banker you'll understand why I liked the outcome. That's probably the second game in decades I've watched start to finish, just not that interested in sports except when these teams are playing.

Do you remember the idea, I think it was something Gigi told us, about throwing out 27 things per day to get rid of clutter? I've started it again and having a big time, it sounds like a lot but it isn't, I've been doing it everyday this week and some days 3 times over.

You said you hoped I got a good neighbor I could get along with, hey lady I can get along with the devil, how quickly you forget! It's called endurance! LOL The only ones I don't care for is the house full of people across the street and frankly the only interaction we've had is the night they all gathered on the front lawn and the music was vibrating my windows for hours so I turned on my porch light and stood on the porch with my shotgun, they lowered the volume, I came inside, end of story. LOL The rest is all they do that irritates everybody around here and we just endure it too, metro won't do anything about it.

I've been here almost 42 years and 3 others on the street have been here a little longer, then most of the rest have been here decades and we're all friendly. As much as this town and this area has changed we're just trying to hold on to a decent group of people.

I need to run to CVS so I'll check back later, stay in out of the cold. Take care.