Respected Contributor

Re: Turn up heat or bundle up

I live in the north & my heat is set at 53 but because of the extreme cold starting tonight thru Fri I turned it up to 58...I'm on a tight budget. I do layer too.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the winter We keep our home at 68 degrees during the day....65 degrees at night. I think this is perfect for comfort. No need to bundle up....

Honored Contributor

cannot stand the heat set at over 67, so it pretty much stays that way.

i dont get cold too often PLUS we have a few duraflame fireplaces.

i would just add a sweater or robe if i am cold.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To some extent, I do both. I add layers, but if I'm still cold, I turn up the heat in small increments until it's comfortable... I keep the bedroom cool, though, I prefer a cool room for sleeping and don't like any of the rooms to feel overheated... Still, I don't want to be cold inside my home...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

cannot stand the heat set at over 67, so it pretty much stays that way.

i dont get cold too often PLUS we have a few duraflame fireplaces.

i would just add a sweater or robe if i am cold.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a long fleece robe I sleep in over my pjs....and fleece socks...then come the covers and blankets....DH? He sleeps in boxers....that’s all....no blanket...from UP Michigan....thinks I am a wimp....

Esteemed Contributor

We do both, I hate being cold. Also, a few years ago, we got a heated mattress pad. I will tell you, that is the best thing ever.

Honored Contributor

I keep my heat the same and wear more clothes. Keep all my window coverings closed.

Honored Contributor

It's supposed to be single digits tomorrow morning so I may take the opportunity to clean my oven.  That will warm this place up for most of the day.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

@HouseMouse wrote:

When it gets bitter cold do you turn up the heat or do you bundle up in layers and warm clothes?  We try to keep warm with layers and warm clothes to keep the heat the same or only turn it up a degree or two  so our bill doesnt go up.

I do both. I’m a weenie. My electric bill for heating ( yuck boo - heat pump) is astronomical in winter but minuscule in summer a/c so it all evens out. I work at home and need to be comfy. Can’t move or work if too bundled up or if my hands are freezing. I turn heat way down at night cause can’t sleep if too stuffy. Goldilocks here.

You might like an Equal Payment Plan as it evens out the peaks if weather causes higher usage at any particular season.