Honored Contributor

Turkey shoots down Russian plane

Anyone care to offer up what the consequences for this might be, and what events this may lead to?

Reports say Russian warplane had 10 unanswered (confirmed by several sources apparently) warnings before it was taken down.

Respected Contributor

Re: Turkey shoots down Russian plane

@Mominohio wrote:

Anyone care to offer up what the consequences for this might be, and what events this may lead to?

Reports say Russian warplane had 10 unanswered (confirmed by several sources apparently) warnings before it was taken down.

That's the iffy part.  I heard the same thing on the way to work this morning.  It seems as if the Russian plane had a duty to answer the warnings, but not answering them gave the Turkish no other alternative.  When you choose not to answer, it makes you look suspicious, IMO.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

why did they kill the pilots as they parachuted from the plane?I don't think that was necessary.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

why did they kill the pilots as they parachuted from the plane?I don't think that was necessary.

Capturing them should have been sufficient, IMO.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

I know this is totally NOT funny and I'll leave after this - but sometimes I'm such an idiot anymore that when I read this headline on my home page this morning I immediately thought 'a turkey?  really?'.    I'm not just making up a joke - this is where my head went.  *sigh*

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt  LOL, turkeys would be on edge this week!

I had not heard that they killed the pilots but I guess if you encroach the airspace, you take the consequences.  In a world of biological and other weapons, I unfortunately get it.  

This reminds me of France back in the day when they warned Reagan very sternly not to fly over their airspace on his way to bomb Gadaffi.  We asked our French teacher how to say that in French.  

Honored Contributor

I think there will be an investigation.  Putin is wise to avoid a military confrontation with NATO. 

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I know this is totally NOT funny and I'll leave after this - but sometimes I'm such an idiot anymore that when I read this headline on my home page this morning I immediately thought 'a turkey?  really?'.    I'm not just making up a joke - this is where my head went.  *sigh*

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Me too, just the way my chemo brain operates. LOl

mm 

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Esteemed Contributor

I just heard the experts discussing the incident. They said the plane was clearly in Turkey air space, but that in their opinion Turkey was too quick to react even given the 10 notifications, said there was no reason to do so. Who knows. Just what the world needs now, more international tension. We are apparently supporting Turkey's actions.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

We have verified that they were in Turkish air space 2-3 seconds. How could 10 warnings be given and then the pilots fired at ?