Honored Contributor

Turkey and Amazon/Whole foods

I'd already ordered my turkey from Whole Foods (organic) at 3.49/lb.  Amazon has reduced the price to 2.99/lb and sent all prime members a coupon to get an additional 20% off.  

I'm very impressed with this!  And yes, I know you can get turkey cheaper elsewhere, but this is where I buy mine when I host Thanksgiving.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Turkey and Amazon/Whole foods

That is really great of them.  I wish we had a Whole Foods near us.  I would shop there in a heart beat.

Honored Contributor

I saw on the news last night that they were lowering many more prices in time for Thanksgiving.  It will be interesting, as time goes on, to see if/how Amazon manages to balance the Whole Foods reputation for quality and organics, and mainstream shopper-friendly prices.

If they manage to do that, then people will begin to understand how badly they’ve been ripped off for decades paying high prices for “healthier” foods at WF, Sprouts, Wild Oats and other similar chains. If Amazon can, they could have.

I think initially, regular WF shoppers like you will benefit for sure, but I’m not sure it will draw in a larger customer base overall. I’m not hoping it won’t, just not convinced it will. But threads like this, letting people know about the lowered prices as they continue to spread, can only help.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I'd already ordered my turkey from Whole Foods (organic) at 3.49/lb.  Amazon has reduced the price to 2.99/lb and sent all prime members a coupon to get an additional 20% off.  

I'm very impressed with this!  And yes, I know you can get turkey cheaper elsewhere, but this is where I buy mine when I host Thanksgiving.  

@september  Hi-did you order just the turkey or one of the whole holiday meals?

This is a great deal.  I am not cooking TD but I did take a look at their ordering form.

We love Whole Foods-love the various and interesting items, both organic and non-organic.  We've shopped there for years now-and never felt that we over-paid.

Our local market chain, other than Wal-Mart (gag) has prices that are actuall higher for some items than WF organics or even non-organic.

Some pricey items are seasonal or one time offers; and it's up to the shopper to decide if it's worth it.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3. I ordered just the turkey. This offer doesn't apply to those who order the meals.  

Esteemed Contributor

No WF near me but when I do get downstate I enjoy shopping there.

I bought an organic turkey from them once and thought it was a meh. Nothing spectacular for the price. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

No WF near me but when I do get downstate I enjoy shopping there.

I bought an organic turkey from them once and thought it was a meh. Nothing spectacular for the price. 

@Snowpuppy  Yeah, I agree that the organic turkey isn't necessarily going to be better tasting.   I'm not big on frozen turkey; I think the flavor diminishes whether organic or not.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

The Whole Foods organic turkeys aren't frozen.  

I've purchased them in the past, and they couldn't have been better.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I am serving turkey on T-day I preorder an organic fresh bird. Last  year it was from Whole Foods; this year I am picking up another on Tues.  (There is a store nearby that I seldom shop at, but to me their organic birds are worth it.)  I did try also a very good Publix bird but their smallest was larger than what I like.  I prefer smaller turkeys as I am just having a few people over.

I'm not going to look into the savings through Amazon b/c (if @september is talking about a bird sent by a carrier) something like a fresh turkey . . . I'd rather pick it up at the store and then, 15 minutes later, stow it in my fridge.   The coupon would only be good for an Amazon order--do I understand correctly?

But it's nice to know that Amazon might be cutting back on the high Whole Foods prices.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite. No, you don't have to order the turkey from the Amazon website.  I ordered mine from my local store a few weeks ago, and was able to give the size range I preferred.  The Amazon coupon is an added plus.  You can find it on the website, bring it into the store, and get another 20% off.