Esteemed Contributor

Re: Turkey Dinner came to me!

@kare29  Funny to see your post this morning. DH & I went to the eye doctor for our yearly checkups on Friday. We couldn't walk in because there were 3 large turkeys in front of the door .I called the secretary & she told us to walk around & enter through the back door.

Apparently, there's a turkey farm nearby & they tend to wander.😂😂

Respected Contributor

Now that is a large flock!

Several years ago we had a small flock that lived in our area.  One of them was really ornery!  He would actually block traffic on our residential road!🤣🤣🤣. 

He actually came right up on my front porch one day and looked in the front door.  They eventually moved down to another area and I still see some when I drive through that neighborhood.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I have had as many as12 in my yard,they tend to follow each other ,and poop all the way!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE Tough Turkey?...........I thought the same thing and asked my recent generator service guy (a hunter).  He said no - very good - like chicken.  Said he had eaten several.

Esteemed Contributor

My niece has chickens and somehow acquired a turkey chick earlier this year.

Her DD raised it and it is huge now.  That stupid turkey will come if you call it and follows the kid around like a dog when they are outside.

I suggested Butterball as a name, the daughter was not amused.

Frequent Contributor

I live on the North Shore in Massachusetts in a wooded area that has some small streams running through it.  I see deer, turkeys, coyotes and have even seen a fox but that was years ago.  I am within walking distance to the Saugus Iron Works.

I have become an avid walker over the last two years and always carry a pop up umbrella with me because the turkeys can be very aggressive.  My thought process has been the umbrella would be enough to startle them so I can get away. Luckily, I have never had to try this theory out and am probably deluding myself.

I did not see the Tom in the group this morning.  They are really large and are quite impressive when "presenting" themselves; fanning their tail feathers.  The last time I saw him was late spring down by the Iron Works so I don't know if he is still alive or not.  

A few years ago during the summer we had a handful of them roosting in a large pine tree that I could see from my kitchen window.  It was interesting to watch these large birds flying into the upper tiers of what I would say was a 40 - 50 foot tree to settle down for the night!

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I bet wild turkeys are tough.

@SharkE Actually the one I cooked was great!  We all expected it to be tough and gamey and it was VERY good!  Maybe the injecting and the bacon helped, but it was not that different from a "regular" turkey.

We all had expected the worst and it was great!  

Honored Contributor

@kare29 wrote:

I live on the North Shore in Massachusetts in a wooded area that has some small streams running through it.  I see deer, turkeys, coyotes and have even seen a fox but that was years ago.  I am within walking distance to the Saugus Iron Works.

I have become an avid walker over the last two years and always carry a pop up umbrella with me because the turkeys can be very aggressive.  My thought process has been the umbrella would be enough to startle them so I can get away. Luckily, I have never had to try this theory out and am probably deluding myself.

I did not see the Tom in the group this morning.  They are really large and are quite impressive when "presenting" themselves; fanning their tail feathers.  The last time I saw him was late spring down by the Iron Works so I don't know if he is still alive or not.  

A few years ago during the summer we had a handful of them roosting in a large pine tree that I could see from my kitchen window.  It was interesting to watch these large birds flying into the upper tiers of what I would say was a 40 - 50 foot tree to settle down for the night!

@kare29  Yes, I have seen them roost in those tall trees. They are quite the sight flying up there. I pulled in my driveway one day and before I could get out of the car a huge Turkey came by my door and wouldn't let me out. He finally left after quite a long time. I have family on the North Shore a bit farther north than you. Love the whole area.

Trusted Contributor

That is too funny!

We see them all the time on the campus at work here in MA.  Just seems odd that when we don't see them anymore, there seems to be a lot of turkey items on cafeteria menu!  Hmmm!?!?  Makes us wonder!  🤔 LOL!

Honored Contributor

I heard wild turkeys are very smart and clever.  Domestic, not so much...or rather they have been called stupid.