Honored Contributor

Re: Turbo Tax & Credit Karma

[ Edited ]

@northiie57   So sorry.....I understand.  We are getting a state return and they charged $59 extra.  That's on top of the amount my husband provided on his credit card to pay federal taxes...for which there is a %fee they are collecting. Plus the additional $90 for a program we had already purchased at Costco.  

This has been a learning experience.  Last year's was bad, but this was worse.  The end of TT for us.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Sweetbay magnolia.. I am glad that you have found a CPA that you trust and is competant.  We are going to do the same next year. 

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

My husband has used H. R. Block software for our taxes the last number of years.  This year he was unable to find any store selling it.

Every store we went to, only had Turbo Tax. He went to Staples, Target, Walmart, Sams, Costco and a number of other stores.

Glad he did not give in and buy Turbo Tax.

@drizzellla 

Available online via h & r block website. Used it to do my aunt's taxes.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Thanks @Sweetbay magnolia.. I am glad that you have found a CPA that you trust and is competant.  We are going to do the same next year. 

Worth the "dough", for us.

I just told my husband that I felt like Pam at the Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company.

There's still work but at least you feel as though you get maximum benefits.  Tax law changes so frequently it's impossible to keep up with.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I didn't even know people bought and downloaded software.  I've gone online and done my taxes on TaxAct for years, since the mid-90s.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

ugh! so sorry they overcharged everyone this year! never again

Honored Contributor

We always have to go out to do our taxes.  Too complicated with capital gains in the stock market to do ourselves.  Our accountant of which we had for years died.  Of COVID.  Strange but he was the only person we knew that died and or had COVID. So we went to H R Block.  Talked to someone that could do ours.  We're supposed to see him next week.  

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd    Any chance of returning it to Costco for a refund? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

It, always, amazes me that anyone would purchase Turbo Tax and then have to download the program online.

I have used Turbo Tax online program for the past 20 years including this current year,  I was NOT required nor forced to purchase Credit Karma when I did my taxes this year.  It is so much more convenient to use the online program then have to purchase it from a vendor, download it, wait for the updates to post before inputting your information.

This has been my experience as well.  Why bother to purchase it at retail when you can do it online?  Only if it's cheaper I suppose which apparently it was not.  And I was not forced to purchase Credit Karma or anything else I didn't want.  I would try to return it to Costco and at least get your money back for that.

Honored Contributor

DH is doing our taxes. I guess he is mailing the federal because he's not paying to e-file. He can do the state online for free. The way I look at if if the IRS wants their money they should make it free & easy. LOL

The tax form should be your income, taxes you paid, % of taxes you owe, balance due or refund. Everyone pays a set %. No loopholes etc everyone pays their fair share. Easy peazy.