Esteemed Contributor

Re: Turbo Tax & Credit Karma

Until all 50 states adopt universal code, this will not happen.

And each state is entitled to set it's own rules.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I'm with @Sweetbay magnolia about using a CPA...our has for many years done both our business and personal taxes. Our personal taxes are a bit complicated by income I receive from a trust in another state, and it's just worth it to us to know everything is done right--plus, I honestly think he's saved us more than we've paid him over the years!

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

My husband has used H. R. Block software for our taxes the last number of years.  This year he was unable to find any store selling it.

Every store we went to, only had Turbo Tax. He went to Staples, Target, Walmart, Sams, Costco and a number of other stores.

Glad he did not give in and buy Turbo Tax.

@drizzellla 

Available online via h & r block website. Used it to do my aunt's taxes.

Thanks for the information, @kate2357 

That is what he ended up doing. Since he could not find the software in any store.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Yes, we are going to try.  Costco has always had awesome customer service so I am confident all will go well with them.  So glad we didn't buy the TT somewhere else.  Thanks for thinking of us!

Respected Contributor

Intuit!!     ugh Turbo Tax is a money-grubbing scam especially for those with simple tax returns and a few investments in retirement accounts that prompt a schedule not included on the "deluxe"  TT edition you download.  And they KNOW people have retirement and some scheduled investments - that has been drummed into our brains now  for DECADES !!   

AFTER you go through the TT program rigmarole they prompt you to pay additional fees for the "Super Triple" Deluxe edition so you can enter your 3 scheduled items and then charge again for the State tax function and then require payment again to e-file.

This year i went to my CPA i used in the past.  $200 and it saves the agony and throwing of breakable items across the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

@vermint   I agree with you and great that you have found a reliable accountant... I.will be happy to hand over our forms next year!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline   Unfortunately, you are correct.  Next year we will save money with a CPA. Sorry you also had this experience, you were smart not to repeat it.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

It, always, amazes me that anyone would purchase Turbo Tax and then have to download the program online.

I have used Turbo Tax online program for the past 20 years including this current year,  I was NOT required nor forced to purchase Credit Karma when I did my taxes this year.  It is so much more convenient to use the online program then have to purchase it from a vendor, download it, wait for the updates to post before inputting your information.

@Somertime  We have no problem with. Turbo Tax either.  DH did the taxes two week ago. We bought it at Costco for $39.00.  Always do and have for many years. 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i have a FREE credit karma account and a FREE credit sesame account.

not sure why anyone would pay to get credit karma? am i missing something?

@sunshine45 

Credit Karma is free.  Maybe there's an optional credit monitoring thing?

Honored Contributor

FWIW - 

My sister works for a 100 employee company and they have great CPAs. 

One of the CPAs told her the best tax prep software program he's ever seen is TaxFreeUSA.