Honored Contributor

We were happy with Turbo Tax for many years...preferred it to anyone we hired to do our taxes.  Last year they acquired Credit Karma...I remember being unhappy with the filing as a result.  My husband still wanted to used them this year so we bought an Intuit Turbotax Deluxe at Costco.....big mistake.  

My husband did the taxes and they required him to buy another for $90 ...he agree to provide them with his credit card (and ask him for his driver's license number) to pay our taxes for a fee.  They signed us up for a Credit Karma account when it was checked that we didn't want an account.  

Forewarning:  You might have better luck....but I highly recommend not using this company.  The changes are significant and for the worse, that was our experience.

Respected Contributor

Re: Turbo Tax & Credit Karma

It, always, amazes me that anyone would purchase Turbo Tax and then have to download the program online.

I have used Turbo Tax online program for the past 20 years including this current year,  I was NOT required nor forced to purchase Credit Karma when I did my taxes this year.  It is so much more convenient to use the online program then have to purchase it from a vendor, download it, wait for the updates to post before inputting your information.

Honored Contributor

i have a FREE credit karma account and a FREE credit sesame account.

not sure why anyone would pay to get credit karma? am i missing something?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45   Didn't pay for it...just don't want it.  But that was the least of our concerns with this transaction.   If you love it, great!

Honored Contributor

Ugh!  I hate the whole process of doing taxes!!

Honored Contributor

But if you’re feeling uneasy about the Intuit acquisition, deleting your Credit Karma account is still a better option than keeping it open. The process is relatively straightforward, though you may have to take a few stabs at it before you’re ultimately successful.

Here’s how you do it:

• Select the Help Center option in the bottom left corner on your account homepage. 
  • In the Help Center, type “deactivate account” into the search bar at the top. This brings up a search result titled How do I cancel my membership?, which you should then click.
  • On the next page, click Deactivate my Credit Karma account.
  • On the next page, scroll down and click the red Cancel account button.
  • You’ll be asked if you’re sure you want to make such an irreversible action—click Yes.

How to Cancel Your Credit Karma Account If You Hate the Intuit Acquisition | Reviews by Wirecutter (...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My husband has used H. R. Block software for our taxes the last number of years.  This year he was unable to find any store selling it.

Every store we went to, only had Turbo Tax. He went to Staples, Target, Walmart, Sams, Costco and a number of other stores.

Glad he did not give in and buy Turbo Tax.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45   Thank you and I'm in the process.  Thanks for taking the time to respond and go through the steps....much appreciation.🌹

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear that you had an unsavory experience, @phoenixbrd .

We use a CPA (local, happens to be women owned and they are fantastic) and I am just now recalling the headache I went through to get an IRS "secure" code.  Come Monday I will pursue that one, again.  

But it didn't cost any more than my time.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I used Turbo Tax for years until this year will be my last.  My state processing should of had my return earlier, mind you filed and completed and said accepted on Jan 30th 2023.  Turbo tax did not have the form I needed for my state and it took jumping through hoops and working with my state tax people to finally have it resolved and processed, still waiting, could take up to 3 more weeks!  End of story turbo tax should of HAD that form when I efiled period!.  Customer service contact is IMPOSSIBLE! They only have a bot chat which is useless in my situation.